.223 1X8 twist varmint rounds

badaboom

Someone out there know a good reload round for the .223 for varmints?

Like to stay between 55 and 70 grain bullets

1x8" Twist??

I'm no expert but you may have trouble stabilizing bullets under 70 grains. But then you won't know unless you try. My 25-06 with it's 1-10" twist shouldn't shoot 75 grain bullets either but it will group 1/2"to 5/8" 3 shot groups all day..go figure.
Try this site: www.centerfirecentral.com they have tons of loading data for the .223

Chuck

[This message has been edited by CRhodes (edited 05-03-2001).]

I have a Colt's NM Target HBAR, 1 in 7 twist. It likes Hornady 68 grain Match hollow points just fine. I use W748 with WSR primer in Remington brass. I suspect these should shoot well in a 1 in 8 barrel, that's only a little slower.

------------------
"When They turn the pages of history,
When these days have passed long ago.

Will they read about us in sorrow,
for the seeds that we let grow?" - RUSH, "A Farewell To Kings"

I use H335 and Hornady V-Max bullets in my 1-7 twist rifle. I've used bullets from 35gr to 75 gr. in it. Try the V-Max in 55 and 60 in your rifle. I also like the 60 gr Speer SP. There are a lot of good bullets out there, try a few out. The faster twist rates will overstabilize a bullet. The biggest problem with a fast twist rate is that the bullet can be torn apart by the rotation imparted to it by the rifling. This is usually only a problem with the thin jacketed varmint bullets, but it does exist. MI VHNTR

A 1 in 8 twist should be just fine for the smaller bullets. As mentioned above, some bullets like the Hornady SX with the thin jacket will come apart at higher speeds. A load I like is 26. grains of BLC-2 with a 55 Nolser Ballistic tip. I'm trying the V-max in that same load right now. Could save me some money if it works out. As CRoades suggests, check out centerfire central. There are many pet loads in there. Good luck-MP

------------------
yotewalk.gif

[This message has been edited by Mike Paul (edited 05-09-2001).]

An 8" twist should stabilize even the 80 VLD bullets. Like Mike Paul says, you may blow up some of the lighter thin skinned bullets.

Keeping between 55-70: For longer range use the 69MK is hard to beat. I find that from a fast twist barrel it expands as good as can be expected at long range. For short range the 55BT works well on smaller animals. I am using the 69MK at all ranges and am pleased with the results.

[This message has been edited by Jack Roberts (edited 05-09-2001).]

Back