Newbie question about Browning BLR .243

If I were going to use the gun for coyote hunting ( which leads to jack rabbits, etc ) I would get a Browning BAR in .243. I think they are great guns, and accurate enough for me to hunt with them. Has anyone tried the new Benelli auto rifles? I have two Browning A-bolts, but havent hunted with them. I dont think you can go wrong with any of the Brownings, and you will shoot best with the gun that feels best for you.

If you want, go back and do a search about the A-bolt. I pretty much ticked off every A-bolt owner on this site, and really don't feel like doin' it again. It were great fun though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Since my ripping of the A-bolt on this site, 1 person told me the bottom metal of their trigger guard broke off in a routine fall, something I made mention of(brittle, breaks, don't bend) and an Alaskan guide told me he has seen more A-bolts fail than all other bolt actions combined. If you like them, fine,carry on. I can't change people's minds, but hopefully I can at least help them to make more informed decisions...which I think is what this forum is all bout---2MG

Twas it me and I wanted a low powered deer yote whacker, I would seriously consider a Brownign Bar in .243. It wouldn't be the ticket for doing alot of 400 yard shooting, but it should do 300 yards easily enough. If your planning on taking alot for 400 yard shots on yotes you should probably look at a bolt gun or a .243 WSSM AR. If you planning on taking alot 400 yard shots on deer you need a bigger gun.

My "scientific" reasoning for liking the Browning Bar: I have tested the bar under field concidions "extensively". I have to date fired 2 shots from browning bars in my life. The first was when a guy handed me a .243 Bar and told me to shoot a crow at 300 yards. The crow died. The second was when a guy handled me .308 Bar which I used to kill a running deer at 200 yards. Now that my friends is one hect of a track record. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Quote:
What is it about the BLR that makes its accuracy compare favorably to a bolt rifle?

Maybe I'm just not getting it. I am sick with the dang flu bug so perhaps I'm a little out of it. Here goes again... Ok, I don't understand how you cannot accept the fact that if my BAR/BLR shoots a 3/4" group at 100 yards, and, one of my various bolt guns shoot the same size 3/4" group at 100 yards - you tell me - how is it that they DON"T compare in accuracy? Seems to me that I don't have to prove anything, the holes are there in the paper. Equal is equal, same size is same size. I think the chore will be for YOU to prove they are NOT equal in accuracy since they are shooting the same size groups. Let's try something a little different. You do the explaining and maybe you can make me understand how a 3/4" group isn't a 3/4" group, depending upon what rifle it's fired from. Please explain to me how that is? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
If you planning on taking alot 400 yard shots on deer you need a bigger gun.

I have the bigger gun which is A Bolt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif See first post. I wanted to try something a bit different...if it will perform.

My question regarding .243 seems to be answered with addition of 25-06. The comment about trigger pull is well taken (I would think any trigger can be worked on). I also have advise on the BAR (22 inch) and BLR (20 inch) so it seems barrel length between the 2 could be the decider. Both have 1 in 10 turn and both have rotating bolts, 2muchgun.

I guess I can pick what makes me happy!

Maybe that guide sees so many Browning problems because he sees so many Brownings! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

fred d.

thanks guys. I'll stick around... I'm enjoying this place....reminds me of my cigar board.

Quote:
I pretty much ticked off every A-bolt owner on this site, and really don't feel like doin' it again.

Yes, please spare us your eloquent diatribe.
It wasn't anything you said about the A-Bolt that ticked anyone off, it was the way you jumped up on a stump about the whole subject. "I heard an Alaskan guide say this or that"...and photos of rust in a SINGLE A-Bolt trigger group that you got from another site where the guy was doing an experiment. And now you're giving someone here crap about his SINGLE .243 BLR?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

If you are going after groups only, then stay with a bolt gun. The BLR has a heavy trigger and no gunsmith can change it-I know cuz I tried! It is however, a very accurate rifle as long as you get used to the trigger. I currently have 65 grain V-max bullets loaded for mine and they are nearly one-hole shooters.

I originally bought my .243 BLR as a calling rifle when I lived in the brush country of Arizona years ago. Most of my shots were at less than 100 yards, so I downloaded a 70 grain Hornady SX to 2300 fps. It absolutely hammered coyotes with little fur damage.

I had two extra clips and at one stand I called in 13 coyotes and shot six of them. I was laying down some fire. It was an amazing scenario that I will never duplicate. It would have been tough to do with a bolt gun as they coyotes were coming out of the river bottom from three different directions.

For long shooting, stay with your bolt for the best possible accuracy, but the BLR is very accurate and unbeatable for quick action scenarios.

My stepdad has a browning bar .243 and he can shoot groups less than an inch at 100 yards. When i shoot the same gun i am about 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups. I consider myself a great shot but i cannot shoot that gun as well as he can to save my life. I can get groups smaller than his with my tikka easily and when he shoots my tikka he cant shoot it as well as i can. Each gun will do different things in different hands. Its all in how it fits you and how you like it set up. I like a nice crisp trigger @2 1/4# My stepdad likes his with a little play and about 4lbs. You need to be the incredible hulk to pull some of his triggers but thats the way he likes them. TO each his own. Buy the gun that fits him fits best and chances are he is going to shoot it well.

Just two cents worth,

I have 2 A-bolts (youv'e seen the picks) and with out a doubt the factory triggers on both are about the worst I have ever pulled. My 325 was worked on and is decent now and the 243.wssm is hopeless and thats a fact. They have both taken game and that is undisputable! But after passing my learning curve they seam less and less impressive. If the BLR has the same trigger group then I would consider something else. After shooting some Rems with Jewel and Timney triggers and especially after shooting Savage with the Accu-trigger I'll be hard pressed to consider another Browning.

Im not bashing them but Im now looking at another Savage to replace my sons A-bolt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Dave

Alot of times the potential accuracy of a given rifle is not the point. Shooting groups from a bench is not the same as field shooting.
Some rifles can be very accurate BUT be hard to shoot accurately due to handling, weight, shape, what ever.
I like the BLR's, sweet handling, light, but they are hard for me to shoot well off-hand or in the field.
for ME in the field I'd call them a 150 yard gun for Yotes, Big game further, but that is due to MY inability to shoot short, light rifles, off-hand, well.
I seem to need a bit of length and weight to "steady" my old shakey Body!! LOL
Carl

GC---I can tottally understand the fact that your BLR shoots as well as your bolt rifle, and fully believe you. My point is that the typical BLR, or any lever action in general, does not shoot as well as a typical bolt gun. My comments are based on BLR's in general, and bolt guns in general, not single specimens. You however, seemed to infer the opposite. I'm more into specifics about various guns and what makes them generally accurate or not.That is why I would like to hear you or the Bama tell me what you think makes BLRs or A-bolts good rifles. Just like you said, "Why not tell us all in the open forum, then we can all learn from the experience".... Hope you feel better.....2MG

Quote:
Quote:
I pretty much ticked off every A-bolt owner on this site, and really don't feel like doin' it again.

Yes, please spare us your eloquent diatribe.
It wasn't anything you said about the A-Bolt that ticked anyone off, it was the way you jumped up on a stump about the whole subject. "I heard an Alaskan guide say this or that"...and photos of rust in a SINGLE A-Bolt trigger group that you got from another site where the guy was doing an experiment. And now you're giving someone here crap about his SINGLE .243 BLR?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Very impressive....The pics (not an experiment, from real use) were to be used as references for those to see what they have not seen, to help illustrate my point. Especially you, since IIRC you were the guy defending your A-bolt that you had been shooting one for over 20years and had never even taken a look inside. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif IIRC, you also said something like, "I don't even understand half of what you are telling me, 2muchgun......." about the technical information that I offered. If you want, I could throw up a pic of a gal out in California (a friend of a friend)holding her broken A-bolt, which occurred from only a 3ft drop. That happened after our little discussion here. As did a respected Alaskan guide telling me about the A-bolt failures he has seen. Of course, I'm sure you know more than he does, from staring at your rifle for 20 years without even taking it out of the stock. Without trying to be arrogant, I'm quite sure you have learned more about your A-bolt right here in the last 2 months than you did in the previous 20yrs, but maybe I'm wrong. When you have something worthwhile to contribute, I'm all ears. Save me the gross generalizations about guns you know nothing about. If I "jumped up on a stump", I apologize to all, but I tend to tell it like it is and am very opinionated on topics I UNDERSTAND. I'm also a very good listener when it comes to learning more about guns from those with more experience than I.........2MG

I ask you a question, repeatedly, and somehow you try to turn it around on me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I've plenty of answers. Apparently it is YOU that don't have the answer, a fact that will be plain as day to anyone that goes back and reads the thread. Look out, I see another question coming your way, better dodge it.....

Whoa, hold up gunslinger. I wasn't part of that A-Bolt thing, don't be hatin' here. Evidently I am not understanding your question. I ask you the same thing basically in hopes I would understand what you're getting at. However, your silence is deafening. Now, if you want to get pi$$y... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

That was not my intention at all. My question was, and still is: Trigger aside, what attributes does the BLR retain that makes you think it is otherwise as accurate as a bolt gun, like you said. You clearly stated that the only reason the BLR wasn't as accurate as a bolt rifle was because of, in your opinion, the bad trigger........

Quote:
To be quite honest, I am much more interested in hearing the "pros and cons" of Browning rifles from Bama.....

Well, I'm not Bama, but as far as I'm concerned, one of the major pros is that Browning rifles, in general, tend to be very accurate out of the box, without any modifications...that includes the A-Bolt, BLR, and BAR. I mean, most any gunshop owner, gunsmith, and gun writer will say so - my experience with them has not proven them wrong.
They may rust in the Alaskan salt water, the trigger guard may break if dropped on a rock just the wrong way, etc. but dadgummit, they'll shoot accurately enough right out of the box! What more could you ask for in an off-the-shelf gun for less than $800 (for the "pretty" ones, i.e. Medallion, Safari, etc.)?

2muchgun,
Actually, sir, you may be a nice enough person in real life - I don't know...but the following statement from that other thread that you mentioned about ticking Browning owners off is what started the downslide in attitude towards you and your contributions Quote:
I've MUCH to offer on the particulars.....Just wantin' to see if anyone thinks they can float their own boat before I sink it....Anyone?......

Can you not see how that just comes across as "ugly" from the get-go? How do you expect people to even consider your points of view when you begin with a statement like that?

I'll rise above the potty training going on here and will not respond any more on this issue.

I've never said any of the above rifles were not capable of accuracy. Reliability with the A-bolt is of concern, likewise the BLR. I apologized twice for potentially tickin' anyone off, that was not my intention. I have a problem with some people stating "facts" about rifles they have little experience with or simply know nothing of how they function and why. What interests me is WHY people feel Browning rifles are accurate, what makes them so, and such, not that they have hunted with one for years and are simply trying to defend their rifles based on opinions with no credible facts or general understanding.......When I was "called out", I gave particulars and examples of what my opinions were based upon. I don't see anyone else doing that here. Maybe they are not truly as interested in rifles as I am and don't care about what makes a rifle accurate or inaccurate, or what potential problems exist with certain brands. Maybe it's just me....Maybe I'm guilty of getting too technical about the replies, but I've always thought that that was what the posters were lookin' for. If it were me, I'd want to know all that I could.....

Back