NiMH Batteries and Chargers--A Primer

Biggest thing with NiCd batteries is they have a lower self discharge rate than standard NiMH batteries. They can also be more tolerant of abuse and deep/rapid discharging such as when used in power tools.

I'm wondering the same thing here.I put my batteries on the charger last night before heading out his morning for my first time with my xr6 caller today,all pump and ready to see what my new caller will call in today.
Well went to first setup and called for a while then hit mute,Waited 15 min and hit caller again called for about 1 min then it all sudden shut off.Tried to send info again with no repsonse from caller Hmmmmmmmmmm.Finally got up and found my battery light was on,Dang it dead batteries.

"energizer recharagable battires are they good"

These are the batteries in using.It was also the first time using the batteries Should i recharge and will they last longer than a hour of calling or should i look at different batteries???
Any info will help out.Was kinda upset that i had to call it quites early due to dead batteries.
I also notice the caller had a charger spot to plug into to recharge,Can i use any recharger(car) or do i have to use a fox pro recharger and batteries??
Thanks for the help guiys.

Normally it takes 2 - 3 charges to get the batteries up to "max". But the ones you got should of went lots longer than 1 hr.

What you will probably need down the road is, a good "battery checker". You could have Just one battery that is weak (not taking a charge good or not holding a charge good) and that one battery could draw the rest of them down real fast.

I bought a battery checker here a couple weeks ago and after checking the pack of 8 Powerex 2700 mAmp batteries, I found one that draws down quicker than the other 7. This one battery is the last one to get fully charged also.

So You might want to check into a battery checker.

We design and manufacture battery chargers. I have done extensive testing on Li-Ion and NiMH batteries and their charge capacities. I will give you a couple of tips:

1. Energizer rechargeable NiMH batteries - junk! don't waste your hard-earned money. Duracell are a little better. Good batteries are not cheap, cheap batteries are not good.

2. Cheap $20 chargers will almost never charge your batteries over 2000mAh capacity, even if they have 2500mAh batteries included in the package. We have tested most of the currently offered general retail chargers and this is the standard. It has to do with the charging ICs that they use to operate these circuits.

If you buy one of those low-dollar chargers (not bad by the way), just buy the 2000mAh batteries. WalMart has a good one that has Energizer's brand on it. Microprocessor controlled and all 4 slots charge independently. Thermal protection and overcharge protection are included.

3. Don't count on over 40-50 complete charge/discharge cycles with any of the AA NiMH batteries that you can buy at the grocery store or X-Mart.

4. Don't run them completely down, let them set and then charge them up the night before a hunt and expect them to hold a good charge. They need a couple of cycles to get the chemical reactions going. Try to get in the habit of charging them when you get through using them and then put them on the charger for an hour or two each month while you are not using them.

5. Occasionally you can find the Lithium batteries in bulk for a good price. These work well for the money and great to have as backups since they have long shelf lives. Energizer's lithium batteries are very good.

Awsome thread!

BTW - there is a new MAHA charger MH-C800S, it's the same as teh C801D but is a 2 hour charger that costs about 10-15 bucks less.

Features
8 battery slots
Charges all batt's seperately
Has a conditioning cycle
Fast charge or soft charge button
LCD pannel that tells you about each battery

Talisman

I just bought 8 Energizer rechargeables last night and just read that they are junk. What should I buy for my on order FoxPro Scorpion?

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

454shooter-- Have you actually tried you Enegizers or are you just going by a report you read? I'm no expert, but I have had two sets of 2500 mAh AA size rechargeable Energizer Nickel Metal Hydride batteries for quite a while and they have worked just GREAT for me up here in NW North DaColder. First, I used them in my FX3 and now I am using them in my FX5. No failures, they run all day in my FX5 and seem flawless for me.

I've use the Energizers for some time and they work well.

I've started using the Sanyo Eneloop batteries for most everything that eats up batteries, from my e-caller to digicams, to my daughter's toys. Since the Eneloops can sit for some time and hold a charge ok, it's nice to be able to pick something up and have it work and not need to replace batteries.

Lots of really brilliant information here, coincided with my purchase of a SCORPION.

I have now bought a BC-900 charger and 8 Uniross Rechargeable 2500mah batteries. On purchase put them into the charger, on a charge cycle - after using them in my caller for 5 hours, what cycle should I put them on to maintain their charge and keep them topped up?

I am thinking I should keep popping them on a discharge/charge cycle is this correct??

Cheers

I did a quick read on the 900. I would run charger at the slowest charge that it puts out. Remember: heat is very damaging to batteries, so the slower you can charge them the longer they will last.

The discharge/recharge mode, is going to be primary for "reconditioning" the batteries and this doesn't need to be done until probably after 8-10 full cycles. I would think your instructions would show this.

Thanks Coyote Control, I have done that (full charge on slowest setting).

The instructions do not really explain at what stage in the batteries life you should charge at the different mode settings...

Cheers

Good call on the Lacrosse charger. I have had one for a couple years. By far the best charger I have owned. As for batteries, I have the best lifespan using Rayovac hybrids. They also can be had for under $10 for a 4 pack of AA's.

anyone know where i can get replace batteries for a lohman 2555 CD caller. it is the one that has 2 speakers? The batteries are CB640 6V 4.0 Ah.

thanks Brmosh

FYI
Sanyo Eneloop are at Costco right now and have a $8-10 instant rebate. You get 8 AAs, 4-6 AAA's, 4unit charger and 2 C and 2 D shells that the AA's fit into.

Back