MN February moon calling reports.

Phil_Schmidt

After supper tonight, my father and I went out to range find the distance he shot his coyote at. It was about 7:30pm and boy was it bright out. We only have half moon right now but it was bright enough to see a yote come acrossed the feild to a call, thats for sure. I think the fresh dusting of snow has alot to do with it.

I'll be hunting Saturday night if the wind is'nt too strong. I'm gonna try my hardest to hold off on hunting tomorrow night. Hopefully I have an ounce of will power.

Last edited:
Hey Phil I have been getting ready for next week's full moon with a few new propertys to hunt.I made set ups for differant wind directions and intery's.My questin for you is what sounds should I be using for the up coming breeding season.I use the preymaster for all of my calling.Also this one spot the coyotes have been marking,leaving yellow snow.Would this be a good area to hunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

That would be a great area to call from! You will be inside the coyotes territorial boundries and they dont usually tolerate that durring the mating season. I'd start with maybe a female invitation. Wait for up to 5 minutes and then hit'em with the female mating chirps.

If the Prey Master is all you got, then I'd start with coywolf barks/howls, and then maybe go to coyote pup distress, But only play the pup in distress for a couple seconds at a time. Unplugg the speaker and let the pup distress play for a bit and then plug the speaker in at random times so the yotes arent hearing the beginning 3 seconds of the pup sequence over and over. Another good one to try would be the coyote racoon fight. Matter of fact you could start the set with that sound if you want.

Last edited:
I've only called a handfull of coyotes in with that sound, And it's always been on accident. Once when I was doing some locating I called in a three pack. Then one time I finished a set with that sound to see if there were any around, and had a pair bolt in. That would be my last choice of sounds to use to bring coyotes into gun range.

You only called in a handful so maybe I could get just one.
Thanks again for all your tips. Looks like it might be a little windy tonite.But that will cover the crunchy snow from yesterday's melting.

Well the conditions are lookin great for tonight. Would be nice to have more snow cause alot of areas are spotty, But still good enough. We're gonna hit it hard tonight and I say that with confidence cause last time I hunted with DTOM, I learned that he aint soft when it comes to hunting. I'm sure I'll get tuckered out tonight before he will, But we're gonna log several hours.

Good luck and dont forget to dress warm, it was damn cold this morning when i got up around 0430, and sounds like it will be close to the same tonight.

Tonite will be better than last nite.Much lighter winds south at 6mph. The moon set is 4:14.I have 4 spots planned
for tonite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Well Tim and I did have fun last night. Called 7 spots total. He showed up in Delano at 7pm and we made our first set at around 8pm and got finished at @3:30am I think. The snow was crunchy, it was cloudy, it was windy and it was snowing at times but we decided the conitions were still huntable.

1st set. Had been calling already for about 20mins. Then decidd to use the the JS coyote locator to see it we could get a vocal response. Heard somthing in the woods that resembled a short howl. Then switched to coywolf barks/howls and that set the local male off. He started howling like crazy from the woods we were calling to. I tried everything I could to get him to expose himself, but I failed. Probly spent an hour on that set......Nothing.

2nd set. Got sat down and started with my diaphragm. About 4-500yds away in the chunk we were calling to had an old male start up and was followed with a couple younger dogs. Again tried just about everything I know about bringing out stubborn coyotes but again nothing. Spent probly over an hour on that one and on the way out the old male let out one single howl from the same exact spot we heard him from in the first place. I turned to Tim and said "he's just sayin goodbye to me, I've been after him for awhile and I'm kinda his pet".

3rd spot nothing.

4th spot. Had been calling for 5-10mins. When I saw it. Got it in the scope. RED FOX! SWEET! He's circling way down wind in a wide open field. He would only stop when he wanted to but only for a second or two. I finnaly to a steady shot when he gave me a good look. BANG-NOTHING. He takes off but does'nt go far before stopping to look again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gifBANG-POP! I called for another 5-10mins. Nothing. 209 steps. I hit it a bit high but it layed neatly in it's tracks.

5th and 6th spot nothing.

Heard some howling near one of my spots while on stand #6 so thats where stand #7 would be. I'd like Tim to tell this one cause they kinda came on his side and I could only see one of them. Turns out we had two come in, The closest one picked us off I guess and after that it was tough to get a good shot. I took a running shot and missed. They came in about 15-20mins into it.

Met up with a couple other calling budies in town. One of them got his forst coyote and I wanted to see it. As we talked I noticed a coyote jogg acrcossed the road right in town behind the gas station /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gifI told the guy's to look quick and we all saw it before it reached darkness. I almost had a siezser (sp?).

New Coyote got his first last night and he's got a helluva story for ya'll. He was addicted to calling before he ever called anything in and I cant say that about too many callers.

Last edited:
Phil I have no pics yet. Went out last night and hit 4 spots
I did not see or hear anything.Made a short nite of it had to start for work at 2:30am. But I saved some of my spots friday.I just can not figure out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif what I am doing so wrong.Maybe this weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

You are wright Phil.This predator calling thing has got me thinking again. So I looked around and found my Randy Anderson tapes. I going to practice with my red desert howler and pc-2 and watch for Randy's tips.

Got my first yote /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!!!!! I have been waiting and waiting and trying and trying to get my first yote and i got one.. Well i met up with one of my buddys at about 11:30pm lastnight and went out and hit a few spots..

Set #1,went out there did my thing tryed all the calls i know how to do and once again nothing!! I was thinking to my self this is normal i guess but still nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif!!

Set #2 Got to this spot and been wanting to hunt this for about 3 weeks plus and finily got to do a set on it lastnight..
It is a big feild over looking a good sized swamp it looked good when we got there at about 1:30am and the wind was right..I started off with a howl on and off for about 3mins or so..Then went in to a distress call a loud one at that.. And nothing.. So i tryed a deep male howl and right after that did a high pitch female howl to answer the male..And about 5 mins after that/ ill be Dam i seen a gray dot in the feild that was not there before about 200 yards it looked like a coon at first..Then i thought they are not out in this cold so i started lip squeeking and here it came..got my gun up and ill be god dam it was a yote!!!! did a little more lip sqeeks and then it started running at me so i stop..and when i stop the yote stop dead in its trackes..at about 117yards i pulled the trigger and BOOM she was down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif!!! Yes i got her i said to my buddy but low and behold there was another yote behind her pulled up to shoot that one to and it was hell ben to get back in the swamp fast little shits WOW!! netless to say it maid it back in the swamp to safty it got lucky this time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif..

Set#3 got there at about 2:30am sat up on a tree row did my thing tryed a bunch of things and once again were back to nothing..But no not true i stood up after the set looked behind me and there was a nice looking Fox running hell ben for the Woods /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif could not get my gun on him or her in time to shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif..But man oo man they run fast!!!

My time payed off that it did maid lots of set and lots of time and now i can say i got one and yes its about time,,

Keep trying and dont give up the time will come got to just keep on going out and trying it will happen.....

Good luck to all....Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

PS:I think Phil is going to put some Pics of me and my first Yote on this page for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif..Thanks again Phil.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
So I looked around and found my Randy Anderson tapes. I going to practice with my red desert howler and pc-2 and watch for Randy's tips.

Thats a major step in the right dirrection. Keep at it soldier, I'm rootin for ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

GREAT JOB NEW!!!
now all I have to do is get my work done before thursday and I'm off to Lake of the Woods for some hunting and fishing- the hell with the super bowl!

Thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif and i also hope my luck keeps going ... also im just going to keep going out and making sets i got lots of land but this wind kind of sucks but got to keep trying for them well the moon is up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.....

Back