Coyotes and Deer

Well, they sure ain't done much to control Kansas deer populations. They do a good job of cleaning up carcasses and I'm sure they get a few fawns but I don't believe they are tough enough in Kansas to have much impact.

Interesting read. yes all perdators have an mpact on the derr population. especially in times of stress. It makes a good point that under the right conditions, good habitat, healthy herds etc. the results are not over the top.

Yellowhammer... Are you aware of a huge high fenced area in the Desert SW where the do high amounts of predator control. Then in the same habitiat outside they do little to no predator control. Do you have the reults of the study? i have heard that the fawn counts were something like 20 fawns to 100 does outside the control area. And inside the control area it was like 80 fawns per 100 does. If you have that study and information about area I would really like to see it.

Elks, I used to do aerial predator control on Fort Sill in Oklahoma. We had similar results to what you are referencing. I'll see if I can find the paper written by my boss.

Elks, I don't have that paper, and not sure if I have heard of that study. I have heard of one that showed very high fawn mortality but could not locate it. If I can I will post the results.

Most of Texas has too many deer. Can you imagine what it would be like if they didn't get some of them?

Thanks guys. I actually am not real sure about the location of the study, but nay info on a good controlled project where there showed a difference in fawn/doe ratio would be nice to see.

Yeah I understand that yes there re many deer in Texas, but that is not true of all the west. I read a couple of things in the Locked places that really stuck out. For example the fact that yotes do not do much to overall numbers on healthy herds in healthy habitats. But when you get an unbalance they seem to have a much larger effect.

Thanks for looking it up.

Quote:
Elks, I don't have that paper, and not sure if I have heard of that study. I have heard of one that showed very high fawn mortality but could not locate it. If I can I will post the results.

Most of Texas has too many deer. Can you imagine what it would be like if they didn't get some of them?

I'm interested in that study too if you find it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I don't know about the scientific end of things, but I do know that coyotes hammer the fawns here and we are still over run with deer.

YES!!! The last one was some of the informtion I was talking about. especially the part about timely and intensive management of cyotes can significantly in crease fawn survival.

Thanks Yellowhammer. I now have this in my archives, should I ever need it again.

If there is much snow coyotes will prey heavily on adult deer during the winter. If there is no more than a foot or so of snow the deer can often run away from the coyotes.

To a lesser extent, very cold weather affects the situation too. When it is very cold, say -20, deer seem to act stupid and coyotes can get them even on bare ground.

Deer can handle a lot of snow if there are no coyotes to take advantage of the situation. Before coyotes came to the northeast we had deep snow winters but still had a lot of deer. Now we only see a slight rebound in deer populations after a couple of winters with low snow depth.

Quote:
YES!!! The last one was some of the informtion I was talking about. especially the part about timely and intensive management of cyotes can significantly in crease fawn survival.

Thanks Yellowhammer. I now have this in my archives, should I ever need it again.

They proved the same thing about antelope fawns in a study done on Anderson mesa near Flagstaff, Arizona.

Quote:
Rim Runer do you have that study also? I think I have seen it, but not real sure...

Sorry I don't have it. You might try the AZ Game and Fish web site.

Back