volume and time at stand

oldwretched

hey everyone just wondering what everyone thinks about volume and time at stands.Do you guys call for short period of times and then wait for responses or call continuously. Do you fluctuate your volume starting softly and increasing your volume or use one volume level for the duration of your time at a stand. And how long do you stay at a stand and how do you determine how long to stay. Thanks in advance.

Wretch, I posted something similar to this on the Photo Gallery section. It is under "First Blood With Foxpro" and it has to do with what volume to use when calling. I by no means have even close to the experience these other callers do but I really feel strongly about the volume.

All coyotes I called in on Wed were at 1/3 to 1/2 volume on the Fox Pro. I start the stand at about 1/3 volume. Play the call for 2-3 minutes. Wait about 2-3 and then restart the call. Sometimes I restart with a diffent sound and alternate back and forth. I increase the volume slightly after about 20 minutes but I am not sure if it is neccesary. They have unreal hearing.

As for time on the stand, I have left a stand after 5 minutes because I see coyotes running the other way. I screwed something up. I have also been ready to call it after 30 minutes and a coyote came sneaking in. I play every setup differently.
I set 30 minutes as the minimum and if I feel good about the area will stay for 45.

Hope that helps. Some of these other callers have alot of experience with this and will give you some good advice. R.

[This message has been edited by CoyoteUgly (edited 04-09-2001).]

Oldwretched,
Your screen name sounds like a description of me. LOL A good rule of thumb for time on stand is 20 minutes for coyote, at least 30 minutes for bobcat and at least an hour for cougar or bear. With electronic caller, I call non-stop with the machine cross-wind of my chosen hidey hole. Windy days and open country call for more volume than calm days or calling in the thick stuff. I call pretty loud, probably about half volume on electronic caller most of the time. I don't like to change sounds very much on one stand because it confuses the predator.

I like to make my first calling series low just incase there is a dog waiting over the hill. I call full volume with hand calls from then on. If i'm using the foxpro i will lower and raise the volume and switch sounds halfway through if i don't get a response. I stay 25-30 minutes for coyotes and fox and we don't have many bobcats so i don't get to try for them.

hey everyone just wondering what everyone thinks about volume and time at stands.Do you guys call for short period of times and then wait for responses or call continuously. - Ow

I call then wait three minutes then call again wait three minutes.....etc. I use hand calls. I think calling continuously satisfies their curiousity more than sporadic calling. I also believe that they can pinpoint you easier with continual calling.

Some that use electronic callers like continual sound. With the electronic callers, the coyote's focus is on the caller when it is placed away from you and not on you. With hand calls, the focus is on you. I don't really know how much it matters to the coyote whether you call continuously or sporadically other than they can pin point your movement when you are using hand calls. They can also spot you moving for your gun.

Do you fluctuate your volume starting softly and increasing your volume or use one volume level for the duration of your time at a stand. - Ow

I guess I don't fluctuate much. Usually do two sequences of howls then go into distress calls. I usually call softer once I have spotted them and only call when they are not moving.

And how long do you stay at a stand and how do you determine how long to stay. - Ow

I usually stay 15 minutes for most stands, 20 minutes for calm days and big country. I guess it depends on how confident I am that there should be a coyote in the area and how far sound is traveling that day. Wiley E

I've been blessed with over thiry years of hand calling and I do meen blessed. I have no idea how many coyotes I have shot while they were comeing to the call.

I start out on the lower end,call for thirty seconds or so then wait a minute or two then call another thirty seconds then wait. I do that for about five minutes. Then wait a few minutes then call loud one handed off and on with the same time frame as before. Then wait a few minutes then go to two hand calling, loudest calling but only do this calling for two thirty seconds a go arounds. Then wait a few more minutes then back low if any.

Outlaw

Most of my hunting is at night,so I always call a few minutes at a fairly soft volume,just in case there is something close. If I see no eyes,I pick up the volume a bit,and try to do just like I've heard a real injured rabbit do: Start loud,excited and almost frantic. As he gets tired, slow a little and quieten some. Then the last couple of breaths,a quiter whining sound.Then a couple of minutes of silence. (to catch his breath) Works for me! see ya'...Randy

------------------
http://predatormasters.com/varmint_masters.html

Back