Sit on ground cushion, or stool?

Hey Guys, it is a very comfortable seat. I got it at GCI Outdoor, Inc.

www.gcioutdoor.com
Item # ER-CBU
Phone number: (860)345-9595

Mine is in Mossy Oak Breakup. I just went back to their site a few minutes ago and only saw blue and green, but I guess I didn't look hard enough. I've only had the chair two or three weeks.

Hope this helps.

Bumping this one, as I'm reviewing seating options.
Anyone here hunt relatively FLAT but thick terrain, with a mixture of cut corn, rye, bean fields and others that are standing weed with perimeter cuts?

Not sure if there is a universal seating option for this, but wondering what other flatlanders are using. I like the low profile seating options, but figure I'm going to get buried in brush and not be able to see over it. Alternately, there is a lot of thick vegitation/brush tunneling going on here, so that might be advantageous to be low like that.

Thoughts?

Staying still where you can see with enough comfort to last through a stand has always been a problem for me. Now most of my stands are in sopping wet conditions, even when it isn't raining, often on steep ground. Anything you touch will get you wet.

I carry a closed cell foam pad and a three legged folding stool from Wal-Mart strapped to the side of my pack. I use the stool about half of the time. Sometimes I just stand beside a tree if I can keep my body behind something like a screen of limbs, or sit on a log or rock. In wide open country I've laid flat on the ground sometimes. On steep ground one leg of the stool may be jammed deep in the dirt or debris if it is not too frozen, in order to level the stool seat.

I've always thought that a one legged stool with an adjustable (telescoping) leg would be ideal for coyote stands, adjusting to different needs for height of eyes, steep ground etc. But on long stands for lions, I think it would get too wobbly.

I carry a nine foot long piece of super thin and light nylon camo cloth 60 inches wide and often drape or tie it as a ground blind. It wads up to a grapefruit size in my pack.

I have a foam self-inflating pad I use when I'm hunting (similar design to a therm-a-rest sleeping pad). It has a screw-shut air valve, so you can open the valve and roll it up, minus the air, and it makes a fairly small package. The air-foam combination makes for good insulation, and you can adjust the air pressure until it's just right. The bad thing is it doesn't get you up off the ground enough to see over much and there's no backsupport. It has held up well, I've been using it for 5 years or more and no leaks.

I weigh 250lbs. I have had hell getting stools to keep from collapsing. My knees are artifical and if I am too low it is a chore to get up.
I have recently taken a 5 gallon paint bucket with a pad and have a great seat at no cost. It is useful for the JIB, and what ever.
I sound proofed it from the inside and wrapped the handle, so it doesen't squeek going in. Shot a litte camo on it and it is good to go.

I've really gotten to like sitting on a stool while calling. Sitting on the ground is fine for the wide open clearings, but when it's thicker, the extra 2 feet of height makes a big difference in what you can see.

I purchased one of these swivel stools. While it was comfortable, it was noisy and bulky. It lasted about 12 stands before the legs snapped off at the base and darn near dumped me into a cholla cactus. Weight rated for 250 lbs and I run around 205. I didn't even bother with trying to return it as I don't want another one, and for the price it is hardly worth the return shipping. If it hadn't broke I would have never used it again anyways. Just too awkward to use in the field.

I'm just going to go with the standard tripod stool (seen here, bottom of page). While it lacks the swivel action it a lot sturdier in construction.

Another option from Cabela's, nice and packable and around 6.5#.

i517165sn01.jpg

I called a local EMS, they have the one 6mm06 mentioned but in green only. I was thinking of just camo spray painting it up anyway...MO is naturally dark too and could probably use touch-up.

Quote:
Weedwalker,

I'm like everyone else it seems. The need for a comfortable seat that doesn't hurt the legs or back is a must, in my opinion. If you aren't comfortable, then it's difficult to sit still for very long. Recently I hurt my back from sitting on a cushion while calling, to the point that I had to go to a chiropractor. After that ordeal, I began searching for a comfortable seat. I found one that suits me just fine. It's adjustable for uneven terrain, and has an adjustable backrest, and is light weight. I like it and it's worth every penny I paid for it. I used it while hunting the coyote I recently shot. There are lots of good seats out there, I'm sure, but here is mine. Man, it's comfortable.

ShootingChair.jpg

HuntingSeat.jpg

I bought one of these yesterday and tried it tonight. Although we didn't even see anything in the high winds, this chair is awesome! Nice adjustability and some serious comfort. Still getting used to it, but it's not bad at all to pack strapped to a backpack and uber comfortable on the ground! Even in the snow, keeps your butt off it...so no getting cold or wet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I got mine in green from EMS for $30, plan on probably camo spray painting it tomorrow to dull it out and break it up a bit.

I use a Hunter specialties inflatable seat cushion that snaps around your waist, just sit down and your ready stand up and your moving on. Hands free, I love it I used to sit on a foam pad but had to carry it.

Glad you like the seat, AviD. I love mine and it's now an important part of my gear - don't leave home without it, so to speak. I get so comfortable in this seat at times when I am tired, to the point that I could almost take a nap.

6mm06, I can certainly see using this seat for turkey or deer as well. No sitting on rocks, lumps, etc...you are up just enough to sit in a nice hammock like seat...can't wait to put more time in it.

Hopefully the winds will die enough tonight so I can get out.

I have to do something. I use a thin foam cushion now, and it ain't cuttin' it! I thought about getting a turkey vest, but I wasn't sure how comfortable the seat would be. I was looking at one of these Anyone know anything about these seats?

Weedwalker
I have been using my Buckwing turkey seat. It is the old style that the legs dont adjust. I couldnt fine one on the net, just the new style.

I have the same problems, My legs go to sleep. Older age and to many years on concrete

Back