Wiley...

ryank

You are not to far away from me so your coyotes there are probably pretty much the same as mine here.

I am wondering if there is a certain date that can be counted on, without question, that coyotes start to rub?

The reason I am asking this is because my calling partner skipped work today (called in sick to go hunting, and didn't tell me about it
frown.gif
) He stopped in after managment had left to show me his prizes. Anyway one of the coyotes was perfect, thick rich coat in prime condition. But the other had started rubbing his winter coat off already. When can I be sure that every coyote I kill is going to have started rubbing already? Or is that something that is unanswerable because of no set pattern?

RK

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

Originally posted by ryank:
You are not to far away from me so your coyotes there are probably pretty much the same as mine here.

I am wondering if there is a certain date that can be counted on, without question, that coyotes start to rub?

The reason I am asking this is because my calling partner skipped work today (called in sick to go hunting, and didn't tell me about it
frown.gif
) He stopped in after managment had left to show me his prizes. Anyway one of the coyotes was perfect, thick rich coat in prime condition. But the other had started rubbing his winter coat off already. When can I be sure that every coyote I kill is going to have started rubbing already? Or is that something that is unanswerable because of no set pattern?

RK

Ryank,
I just got back from SD and all the coyotes we saw were really well fured. Is the coyote of your buddies rubbed or does it possibly have mange? Yote Hunter.

This time of the year when we start getting some warm days , The coyote will lay up most of the day soaking up the heat and then get up for the evening hunt and leave ssome of the gaurd hair stuck in the snow, (hair froze in the snow) and this gives the appearance of coyotes rubbing or pelts going out of prime

Thanks guys

Howler that must be what happened because it wasn't mange at all.

RK

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

i would have to agree with howler,warmer days mean laying around alot more.i think it also is the fact that they have sported this coat for many months and by late febuary its just normal wear and tear.generaly around n.y. up till mid febuary the pelts are in good shape.there at there best in december into january.

Back