Hunting Rack/Seat?

varmint308

I am wanting to build a hunting rack, actually a hunting seat. I was wondering if anyone had a diagram or good way of building one. I am wanting to make one similar to the one on the Varmint Masters Photo Gallery here: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/varmint_masters2.html If anyone has anything to help please let me know. It will be going in the back of a short bed dodge. With no headache rack or anything. Something else that comes to mind is... Where does the light man stand with a seat like that, that high up? :rolleyes:

You might need to do a little modifying to get that type of chair to work without a headache rack, but it can be done.....you'll just have to have more anchor points going to the corners of the pickup bed to help secure the rig. Mine attaches to both the headache rack and another support bar attaches to the bed-rail near the tailgate. I would thing that you could have more of these supports to make it sturdy.

Here's a shot of mine, with all the credit going to Randy Watson for his great ideas and overall help.

Here are some of the measurements of my rig. I went ahead and built a headache rack for my truck because this will make the whole set-up rock solid, but I'm sure you can come up with a hybrid from the other ideas that the guys on this board have come up with to build theirs.

Here's a pic of the base of the rig...
fa482df1.jpg

Here's some measurements of the actual shooting chair & rest....keep in mind that it is setting upside down.
fa482dee.jpg

Here is the saddles that are mounted on the inside of the 3" X 3" angle iron bed rails which hold the bottom cross piece of the whole set-up....(this picture is actually from Randy Watson's set-up)
fa482dec.jpg

And here's a rear view of how it sets in the back of the truck....
fcde3e7a.jpg

You can see the piece of square tubing angling down from the area around the footrest down to the back corner of the bed. I would think that you would need more of these (and use heavier material) to help stabilize your seat if you weren't wanting to anchor it to a headache rack.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

BTW....there is no "light man" needed since the spotlight is mounted to the front of the shooting rest. It's a hands-free system that works great!

Hope this helps!

God Bless you and yours!

Rusty

Rusty I really really appreciate the pics, diagram, and help you posted. This should help me tremendously. I saw yours on the site and fell in love with it. I have one question about the spotlight and how it is mounted onto the shooting bar. Also how do you keep the chord from tangling (unless the answer is simply dont spin around all the way). Well I guess you could run the spotlight chord through the tubing...I just thought of that. Thanks for your help again!!!

here are a few pics of a setup I just finished.The good thing about this is that it will go in just about any truck and doesn't have to be tied down although you can if your gonna get wild with it .
fa476b04.jpg

fa476856.jpg

fa4758dd.jpg

Reaper that is pretty ingenius looks good.where's the winch to install it in your truck? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tommy how'd you do that?

Thanks guys for all the help. Thats pretty sweet reaper, you dont have to permanently attatch anything either...I'm just wondering if its too heavy for my 1/2 ton truck!!! LOL...Again thanks for the help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Here's a pic (upside-down) of the light bracket. You simply use a piece of flat strap and custom make yourself a bracket that can bolt onto the riser that comes up between your legs and attaches to the shooting rest at the top. You can drill holes in the side of your spotlight housing and bolt the flat strap that has been bent into a squared-off "U" shape and attach to both sides of the spotlight. Regarding the electrical cord and how it works....I just turn 360 degrees (more or less) in one direction, then come back around 360 degrees in the other direction. I thought about wiring it internally and having some sort of slick internal wiring set-up that would allow me to spin freely....but it wasn't as practical to make and the system I have now works great with no complaints or other problems. Anyway, here's a pic that I hope gives you a little better idea of the light bracket....
fa468840.jpg

Rusty

Nice diagram, Tommy!

Do you have a rig like that in your truck? If you don't, get one! They're fun to tinker around with and customize to your liking. I'm hoping to customize mine a little more in the near future after I finish all of my "chores" around the new house. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif You should see Joel Hughes' set up. It's basically the same, but his is super light-weight but strong. I've watched him step in and out of the back of his truck with it while holding it with only one hand. He's about to modify it a little here and there also. They are great toys to have!

Reaper....I also like the set-up you have. You're right....you can make that thing work in just about any truck. Another great idea! Thanks for the pic.

Take it easy, guys!

Rusty

There ya go again Tommy ....... SHOWING OFF!

Just kidding.....That is one easy rig and nice to hunt out of.

You know if your dad sells it he'll just have to put another one together.

It does ride exceptionaly smooth up top. I have had to make two hunts with it this year with no top keys. My old man has had offers on it and keeps saying he's going to sell it, but then says if he does he is gonna make another one. If he does Im gonna have to make me a Watson special.

It was built out of light material to keep the weight down but its still alot of weight. Its got its own shifter and brake system. My only suggestion is to utilize a one ton pickup so that it can better handle the wear and tear. Other then that it gets you up there. Ive shot several yotes that I wouldnt have seen downstairs.

I like to get on the road (from up top) and watch people drive by looking for the driver. Dont even notice hes up top. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

P.S. Ray remind me to steal your bullets in Globe.

Tommy why would you wanna steal my bullets in Globe?They'll just make you miss everything you shoot at.......wait ,that may not be a bad idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Besides you and I don't even shoot the same cal.Unless you don't want me to be able to get me a longtail or two.If I get two I'll loan ya one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

believe it or not my setup isn't that heavy, a half ton truck would handle it easily and you wouldnt even know it was there.Matter of fact I can load it in my truck by-myself,I just tip it over and back up to it then set it on the tailgate and slide it in with only a little grunt.

Tommy that is a sweet setup you've got there.

Man it sure looks heavy, I guess looks can be deceiving though. It looks like a great rig. Thanks for the pics...I was wondering what the bottom of the ladder was attatched to because in the pic with the whole truck it looks like its attatched to the tailgait somehow and I figured that couldnt be right, but I see now...Thanks again!!!

Back