remington 788 in .257roberts?

bdr

i have a good reputable friend who has a remington 788 in .257roberts for sale. i was unaware that remington ever chambered the 788 in that round. anyone else? i'm thinking its probably a custom job.

well, i'm thinking about buying it from him. he's wanting to sell it for $300 and since i load ammo for him, i think i can probably buy it for less than that.

To my knowledge the 788 came in 222, 223, 22-250, 6m/m, 243, 308, 44 mag, 30-30, and I think a few were made in 7-08.

No 257 Roberts. Probably a custom job.

I'm next in line and I'd pay the $300 in a heartbeat... (provided it shoots to point of aim and groups decent... same that I demand from any rifle)

I have .257R in a small ring Mauser that I built in 1967 with a Douglas barrel and a blank from Fajen... It is still my favorite carry rifle for deer, varmints... even used it for "social" purposes while I was a policeman...

The 257 Bob is a great round. Load it up with the Nosler 100 gr BT and work up to 45.0 grs IMR4350 using a Federal GM210M primer. Should get you 3000 fps and sub MOA accuracy.
You will be all set for coyote, deer, and antelope.
I have a 700 Classic and this load shoots in the .5's.

JD338

Last edited:
make sure you have clips for it.... they don't make um anymore and never did in that caliber to start...

Clips will run ya $50 and up, closer to $100 on average on Ebay....

But that gun, at that price.... BUY IT !!

I just got 2 6mm rem clips last summer, brand new from gun parts corp for 27 bucks each, the 257 bob and the 6mm have the same parent case so they should work great.
No rem never made the 257 bob in the 788, but thats no reason not to buy it.
RR

Quote:
I just got 2 6mm rem clips last summer, brand new from gun parts corp for 27 bucks each, the 257 bob and the 6mm have the same parent case so they should work great.
No rem never made the 257 bob in the 788, but thats no reason not to buy it.
RR

I was just looking at the gun parts online catalog last night, and they still have the 6mm repro. mags for $27.00. some of the other calibers are out of stock.
Barry

Cajn is right on with all the calibers. The 7mm-08 was made for only 1 year, and it was a carbine. Never offered in 257.

I'll bet it'll shoot though.

ej

Back