sad, bad news in minn.

butchloc

in our faribault paper today the headlines where that a coyote hunter was shot and killed yesterday. a man from jordan is all it said, who was hunting in a group of 10. nothing further yet

Coyote hunter hunting with a group of 10? Thats sounds like an aweful lot for a stand.

Sad to hear no matter where it happened.

Some of the guys that hunt in this area have 5-10 guys out chasing yotes.They usally spot, chase(used lightly) towards other hunter's.It wouldn't surprise me someone got shot doing this type of hunting.(If that is how he was shot)When I see them out I just get out of the way.There will be 4-5 trucks around a section.It's no wounder they take a 100+ yotes a year & I have to compete with this.It is still a sad situation,anyone have more info on it.

They may not of been using dogs either. Might have been just walking and driving an area to some guys at the other end. I did this once many years ago and never again. To many things can happen. A real shame. My heart and prayers go out to those folks.

Man Dies After Being Shot While Hunting Coyotes
(AP) - Authorities in Rice County are investigating the death of a 26-year-old Jordan man who was shot while hunting coyotes.
The Rice County Sheriff's Office says the shooting happened Saturday afternoon about five miles west of Webster.
Officials say in a news release that the man was part of a ten-person hunting party. He died from his wounds at the scene.
His name was not immediately released. An autopsy will be conducted.

I just went on WCCO-TV.com and they had the hole story on this on there just though i would tell u all...

Ps, story is pritty sad to here,,

It is really sad and my heart goes out to all invloved.

That being said I worry when I read the some of the comments in that article: No blaze orange, no season, various high powered rifles (like it was some sort of unregulated buffalo shoot). Most of MN knows nothing about coyote hunting, now this is forming their opinion.

We all have to practice sensible and responsible hunting practices. I am not judging this group. But it is important to remember how powerful and dangerous our guns can be. More stories like this written up like this and legistlators will start trying to make points with largely uninformed masses.

I know for the most part we are all callers and we are predisposed to look down on the party hunting drivers. I truely feel sorry for those guys. I am sure it is a extremely painful lesson in safety.

Last edited:
That is really too bad! If your going to drive coyotes like deer hunting, you really need to wear blaze orange! It will still happen but it really lowers the odds!
We'll be getting some new regulations passed over this and maybe we should!

That is sad indeed but if there is a legislation passed or some sort of bill that requires party hunting to include blaze orange it may save another soul....

If the coyote drivers were required to wear blaze orange it would'nt affect me at all. I dont understand why they wear cammo anyway's.....It's not like they are trying to hide from the coyote or anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I'll just stop right there.

I agree they should wear blaze orange but my worry is how would they start enforcing that, other than making everyone who is coyote hunting start wearing it, that would suck.

Sounds like they don't know if he shot himself or someone else shot him.

The last thing we need is more legislation! Common sense would save just as many lives.

The last thing I heard today on this story was that he possibly stumbled and fell discharging his weapon, shooting himself.
I dont even want to bring up the legislation aspect for fear that someone might get an idea, but if your hunting with say 5 or more people it might be a good idea. I dont imagine to many people have ever done any calling with more than 5 people on a regular basis.

My brother called two days ago (I live in KY). He said the guy was hunting with the group of our parent's nieghbors that have driven coyotes for years. Everyone is badly torn up over it. Most of those guys insist on wearing orange on a coyote drive since they drive deer during the deer season and understand the danger in shooting another hunter. But as usual I don't know what's going on. I could call one of the deputies and ask I guess and find out but this is an example of being afraid of the answer so not willing to ask questions. It's a tragedy. I'd bet it was a misfire accident not an aimed accident ie snapshooting at movement.

Read what his mother had to say:

Jordan man killed in shooting accident during coyote hunt
It remains unclear whether the shot came from the victim's gun or from someone in his hunting party.

By Anthony Lonetree, Star Tribune

She was there when her son bought his first gun, a shotgun, she recalled Sunday, a gun made especially for left-handers.
Michael Wagner loved to hunt.

Ten years later, on Sunday, his mother, Nita Wagner, of Shakopee, was left to cope with the shooting death of her son, killed Saturday, authorities say, while hunting coyote as part of an 11-member hunting party in rural Rice County.

Michael Wagner's death, sheriff's Sgt. Bill Skarupa said, was almost certainly accidental. Still to be determined, however, he said, was whether Wagner, 26, may have stumbled and shot himself, or whether someone else in the party fired the fatal shot.

Nita Wagner said that's not important.

"I guess I know what I need to know: It was an accident, and he did not suffer," she said. "And he has gone to a better place."

Among those hunting with her son Saturday was an uncle, who was his godfather, Nita Wagner said. Everyone in the party, she said, is "devastated."

Bigger game, too

Coyote hunting is fairly common in Rice County, Skarupa said, and especially so this winter with its warmer weather. Though Skarupa himself said he prefers to hunt alone, people sometimes will use larger parties, he added, in order to set up posts to which hunters will direct animals to. Wagner, he said, was on foot when he was shot.

The shooting occurred about five miles west of Webster, and was reported to authorities about 12:15 p.m. Saturday. Wagner died at the scene.

On Sunday, his mother recalled her eldest son who as a student at Shakopee High School had the luxury of already knowing his passions for both work and play.

He would go on to make patterns for molds at the same Scott County company where he apprenticed as a high school sophomore, Nita Wagner said. With his friends, she said, Michael would hunt in Rice County, and go west to Utah, too, to pursue bigger game.

And with his father, Randy Wagner, who was not a hunter, Michael worked on classic cars. He is survived by a younger sister and twin 11-year-old brothers, his mother said.

As authorities work to complete their investigation, Nita Wagner said she's tried to assure his fellow hunters that her son would not want them to second-guess or blame themselves.

"People die in car accidents every day driving to jobs they dislike," she said. "Mike was having a great day doing what he loved with the people he loved."

Last edited:
I got the following note via email from Tim Anderson and am posting it here at his request.

Randy: I was on PM reading the thread on the Mn. coyote hunter that got
> shot, its too bad that that happened. Anyway i feel that i need to inlighten
> you guys on a few things about group hunting. First off i enjoy calling
> coyotes and fox and if that was the only way to harvest them then fine with
> me. In some areas of the state the coyotes can be more difficult to call . i
> have called in northern Mn. and western and the coyotes in those areas are
> much easeier to call in than compared to where i live. Calling around here
> is very unproductive, we can go out as a group and take over 100 coyotes a
> year from the areas that we hunt. We try to keep the coyote population down,
> cause we don't need that many running around in this area.
> Coyote callers are no different than us group hunters, the callers use what
> equipement is available to them weather it be hand calls or electric callers
> or lights and use them according to the laws..
> We as group hunters use a vehicle to get us around the same as you, the
> group i hunt with does not chase pred. with our pick-ups, we use them to our
> advantage and according to the same laws you hunt by.
> Here is a tippical hunt that we do from day to day. In the early mourning we
> split up and then drive the country side looking for actual siteings and
> tracks. We do this untill 10:00 and then we decide what sections we are
> going to hunt. We also have over a 100 farmers that keep an eye out for the
> coyotes and they will also call us if any are sited. Each farmer that we get
> permission from to hunt gets a list of phone numbers from one of the members
> of the group and they are asked to call us at anytime of day. We hunt in
> four counties and all land we hunt on we have permission from the land
> owners.
> Once we decide were we are going to hunt for the day we will move into an
> area and look it over, the blockers willbe set at key locations where we
> think the coyote will go if one of the walkers misses the shot.. We usually
> send one walker or stalker into the section if its a mile square, if section
> is larger then we send in 2-3 stalkers. If the stalker jumps the coyote or
> gets a bedded down shot at the coyote and just happens to miss then its up
> to the blockers to get the coyote. According to Mn. laws we are allowed to
> use radios with permitts and we are allowed to also shoot from the road.
> While the hunt is going on we keep constant comunacation, so we know were
> the walkers are and where the coyote is, and we do this for the safety of
> all in the group and we also keep a look out for other vehicles that can be
> passing by at any time. Everyone is instructed that if they don't have a
> clear shot, that they are to let the coyote go and we will go after it again
> once the walkers are out of section.
> I know there are other group hunters out there that don't play to the rules
> and if we see them doing anything illegal we call the DNR. Not all group
> hunters are bad apples..
> We are not out hunting just for the pleasure of it, our goal is to reduce
> the numbers and we have addapted to the conditions we are delt with. We have
> a well orgonized group of hunters that all play a certain roll in harvesting
> the coyotes.
> Thanks for listening and if you have any questions feel free to call
> on me..
> P.S. could you post this for me on P.M. Here we have learned
> to get along with the deer hunters and pheasant hunters and you so called
> pred. callers need to jump into the same boat, Thanks for youre time Randy
> and take care... Tim Anderson
>

Well Tim's group is very well organized group of hunter's.I should reword my post,I make it sound like all group hunter's are bad,my appolagies if I came off that way.It just urk's me when snowmobiles are invovled.Thank's for the post.

Back