What a start to the New Year!!!!!

Gerhard

Well 2007 is now well and truly here and I hope you all had a great festive season.

I developed some new loads in the 22K Hornet and tested them on Tuesday at the range. With a 45gr Sp and a average speed of just below 2800fps and a group of less than an inch on 100 yards I had an itch to test the new loads and start of the new year with a bang. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

On Friday afternoon I phoned the ranch owners where I usually go and call and the ranchers said yes please come and call the jackal is keeping them awake at night. They are calling all around the house at night.

I met the rancher at around 18:35 and showed me areas where he saw a lot of activity the last couple of days. I made my 1st stand at around 19:05 but the sun was still setting and it was not until 19:45 that it was dark enough to use the Light Force.

I used hand calls and it was not more than 15 minutes after I started calling that I had a visitor. I stopped him at 120 yards and the new load performed a "Bang Flop" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

P1150114-1.jpg

Moved to my second stand and this stand was close to where the cows and calves are bedding down and after maybe two sets of calls with the Critter Caller I had another visitor.

The new load performed well but my shot placement was not correct /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif and I had to fire a second shot after the jackal ran more than a 100 yards. The second shot was on the money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

P1150116-1.jpg

I moved to another ranch and on my third stand for the evening had my 3rd jackal coming in after maybe 7 minutes.
Again the new load performed a "Bang Flop" at 70 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P1150119-1.jpg

A good start to the new year for sure 3 stands and 3 jackal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Gerhard

Quote:
Nice!

Are their hides worth anything?

Night calling in Africa.........You got balls made of titanium, or what?

We do not have a market for fur here in South Africa.

Its not so dangerous calling at night. The biggest animal I called in tonight was a cow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last year did call in two brown hyena as well. That was cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Gerhard

Quote:
That canon of yours extremly long what is that ?

Its a 22K Hornet with a silencer on. Its very effective.

Gerhard

Very cool stuff. I can't help but wonder what the fur buyer would say if I showed up with one of those for him! I don't suppose you could skin and stretch one and send it to me could you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ej

Quote:
Very cool stuff. I can't help but wonder what the fur buyer would say if I showed up with one of those for him! I don't suppose you could skin and stretch one and send it to me could you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ej

Sorry ej.

But you will have to come and shoot your own jackal and skin them.

You can ask the guys that has smelled a jackal they stink to high heaven. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifSo skinning a jackal is not my favorite pass time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

But like I said you are all ways welcome.

Gerhard

Great job and what a cool story. The thing that was amazing to me was you were still able to see the jackal at a 100 yards with the lightforce. I've been thinking about getting one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Great photos, but I must say you need a longer barrel on your rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

In fact I think you need a guide to help hold it up or tow it behind your truck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Quote:
Great job and what a cool story. The thing that was amazing to me was you were still able to see the jackal at a 100 yards with the lightforce. I've been thinking about getting one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

You will be amazed how far you can see at night with a Light Force.

I had a jackal that would not come closer than 200 meters and I was looking at him when he was about 300 meters out.

It all depends on the type of country you call in.

Gerhard

Quote:
Great photos, but I must say you need a longer barrel on your rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

In fact I think you need a guide to help hold it up or tow it behind your truck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thank you.

You are welcome I am always looking for a partner to go calling and to hold the rifle and such stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maybe even let you shoot a couple. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Gerhard

Back