Found some hogs in an odd place., Finally got one!

DLTinOKLA

I went out calling this morning and decided to try a place that I haven't been to in a while. Its a real open pasture, short grass, with several ponds and only a few trees. I was planning on getting on top of the pond dam where I could get a good long look out in the open pasture for any approaching coyotes. As I was walking up to the pond dam which has some very tall grass behind it I heard hogs! There is very little cover on this place and I was very surprised that the hogs were there. But they were in the tall grass behind the pond and I could hear them but couldn't see them. By the look of things they had been on this place for a while. I was downwind from them so I knew they wouldn't get my scent so I waited awhile on the dam (near a tree!) but they never would come out. So I gathered up a few sticks and went to one side and threw one in the tall grass. At first nothing, but then I could hear them moving out. I only had my .243 with 58 gr vmax, not exactly a hog round. I shot a sow as she was running out and she fell squealing and then she ran back into the grass and then hogs started scattering everywhere. I shot twice at running hogs and missed (I need some shooting lessons on hogs from Guess!) and then I nailed a sow with the forth shot. Honestly, I'm not use to hunting things that might hunt you back, so it was hard to shoot, reload, and keep close to the only trees all at the same time. I tried and tried to find the first sow that I knocked down with the first shot but I couldn't find her and or any sign. Don't let that grass fool you. It was tall and very thick stuff. But this is the second sow that I shot.

jan32007hog4.jpg

jan32007hog3.jpg

They were in the tall thick grass behind the pond dam.

jan32007hog2.jpg

jan32007hog.jpg

Too bad I didn't have a scope mounted on my new Bushmaster or I would of had 30 rounds to unload on them! LOL

ar15.jpg

Gonna get her Mounted?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All kidding aside, thats a good look'n ham steak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Seems like there everywhere these days except here. Maybe Ill luck out next week when Im down by the big state.

Congrats and thats a sweet looking E.C.G. you got! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Dave

Thats the kind of country we hunt hogs in too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif WE also have grain fields that we can hunt in too.
Good looking pig /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Shes sure pretty I kinda like the colored up ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back