BuckShot Question - Copper Plated Vs. Unplated

Scout22

I find lots of unplated #4 Buck shot on the shelves, but the copper plated #4 is hard to find.

Is there a big difference in penetration and pattern density?

As a long-time shotgunner, I have researched this and actually did tests in the field. I can tell you with no doubt that copper-plated shot will pattern better than raw lead...all other things being equal.

Plating prevents the shot on the outside of the load from being flattened during it's trip down the bore. Flattened shot tends to "frisbee" instead of flying true. No matter what type or brand of shotcup is used, there is a certain degree of pressure that causes this to happen.

As far as penetration goes, it stands to reason that a more round-shaped pellet will penetrate better than a flattened one. However, the penetration factor is not nearly as important as the better pattern that you will gain. Pattern densities are much greater with copper-plate than with lead. We have found this to be even more evident on full choked barrels because of the greater restriction which results in even more deformation. More pellets/denser patterns = more hits.

Most of the unplated, cheap stuff like Remington Express, use no wad, which makes it so the bare lead is rubbing on the barrel deforming it even more. Typically the better the quality, the better the patterning.

But.... You should pattern as many as different types as possible to see what works best in your gun and more than 1 or 2 shots. I have 1 case in point. An 870 that really patterns Rem Express loads better than any other. I also have an O/U that won't shoot that load worth a crap. It likes the Dead coyote loads. Make sense to me, the uppity shotgun likes the high priced stuff and the cheapo likes the bargain stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

The best plating is Nickle! Unfortunately, you just don't see that offered anymore. Activ used to make a nickle plated turkey load that flat knocked gobblers snoods off. Fiocchi has its Golden Pheasant game loads with nickle plated shot for far flushing roosters. At any rate, as the other guys have mentioned, usually the better patterning load will have plated shot for the reasons given. I use Federal Premium No. Four Buck in .12 gauge 3" persuassion and have recommended that to several others and have yet to hear that it doesn't pattern well. I killed one today out of desperation at 60 yards in heavy brush. It did take two shots though, he was moving and I rolled him with the first shot, he was up and running, I shot again and he yipped so I knew I got him again. He ran on for about fifty more yards and I found him stretched out in a beaver flooded swamp. I was lucky to find him. But it was a really tough shot and asking a lot of a shotgun, choke, and load.

Quote:
Activ used to make a nickle plated turkey load that flat knocked gobblers snoods off.

Wow, Gary, that brings back some memories.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Do you remember the Activ hulls that had NO brass? Only had a plastic covered metal disc in the head of the hull?

Dude, that was a LONG time ago.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back