I need a new gun!!!!!

I'm looking for a new handgun, I'll problay be using it for carring around the woods shootin targets stuff like that, I have a SW 629 44mag and a springfeild xd 9mm, and a beretta neo .22lr, but I feel I have a void to fill, do you guys have any suggestions on the cailber and brand.

IMHO there's nothing like a 1911. I highly recommend Kimbers, but there are many good brands. Looked at one of the new Taurus PT1911's yesterday. It looked like a heck of a deal for the budget minded...may have to get one myself.

I'd recommend a nice S&W or Ruger revolver in 357mag/38spl. It would fit nicely power wise between the 44 and the 9mm. Either in single or double action. Very accurate and dependable.

HOw much money and do you want an auto or revolver?

IMO, if you want a nice 1911 project, check out the Springfield GI.

If you want a gun that's just a little different, I love the CZ 75, maybe even a RAMI.

Sig makes a cool 229 in .357 Sig too. Bit pricey though.

Then there is the 460. It takes .454, .45 long colt and 460 rounds and is a perfect gun for target, hunting, and when you just feel like blowin' stuff up.

The 357 will likely work for you. Take a look at the Ruger bisley single action. Best grip ever placed on a SA revolver
and it won't weigh heavy on your hip.

Years ago, I had a Ruger GP 100, 357. Very versatile with the wide range of loads you could shoot. However, when loaded with 357 Mag, that gun shot like a rifle. Unbelievable how accurate it was and the smooth action was what sold me over the S&W. A couple years ago a friend had one on a dove hunting trip. While we were taking a break he started shooting into a bank about 5 yards away. He asked me if I wanted to shoot it. I started taking aim at a log about 30 yards away. Everyone's jaw dropped with how close the shots were placed. That's when it finally hit me how much I missed my GP 100. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I currently own a 1911, made by Randal. The company is out of business but I carried 1911's in the Navy and I’m a believer in the design’s reliability. I'm looking at getting either a Kimber or a Springfield Arms model. The good thing about many of the 1911 models is you can still buy several models that have enough slip in them they won’t fail if they get dirty, which is likely if you’re going to use this as a side arm while hunting.

JMHO, Either would be a suitable sidearm for hunting/field use for most people.
Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have two I really like shooting. A S&W 32long w/6" barrel and a S&W 38/44 w/6" barrel. I only use cast bullets so they are really cheap to shoot. I've had a number of 357's but all I would ever shoot in them is cast loads in 38 spec. The heavier gun really makes shooting the 38's plesant and I don't shoot handguns that well especially the magnums. The cast loads in my 38 and 32 long shoot very well for me. Use 155gr hollow points and 95gr RN. Think I figured out how to HP the RN bullet's with my case trimmer.
Most of my bullet's are old wheel weights. Also have a 77gr HP mould for the 32 but don't like it.

The 38 runs on 5.5grs powder, I could get by nicely with less, like 2.5 to 3.0grs. At 7000grs per lb thats about 1272 rounds with the 5.5gr load. The 32 uses 2.5 grs and at 7000grs per lb thats 2800 rds per lb of powder. Powder at $17 per pound I'm looking at about 1/2 penny per round plus a primer! Case life equals years!

Last edited:
S&W Mod 60 .357 w/5" barrel sure looks nice for a lightweight carry gun. Only 5 shot capacity but for plinking around in the woods thats no problem.

Back