Killed the female. Will the male travel to find another?

Phil_Schmidt

I've always been under the impression that if you kill the adult male, the female will stay in the same area. If you kill the adult female, the male will travel to find another female. Educate me.

Who knows for sure.

A farmer who's land I hunt. Had some sheep killed. I killed a female that was paired up, right behind his farm.

No coyotes stayed in that section for the following two yrs. That was 3yrs ago. Now he & his adjoining neighbor have had sheep killed recently.

Last edited:
This time of year either will find a new mate. In good coyote habitat, you get fill in rather quickly. Howling let's the others know if the real estate is vacant.

Enjoyed you observation about removing a female and see the coyote activity cease for quite some time. I also hunt in your region and have seen the very same thing again and again after I remove a specific female.Sometimtes it takes years to recover a breeding pair in that local. Probably because we just don't have the coyote density of other parts of the country.
As far as an adult picking up a new mate, probably for breeding if a female needs one. A male may have to depend on availability of travel,but all that would be hard to know for sure.

Back