Night vision Scopes

dpowers

Have any of you tried the 1st gen scope by ITN,I think, or could you recomend another that is in the same price range.

Does anyone have one that they would like to get sell?

I`ve got a 1st. gen. Russian scope on a .30-30. It has a built in IR and is good to about 150 yrds. max. Works, but is not the total answer I thought it would be. Eyes do shine with an IR lite so you still have them to shoot at.

How much would you take for it? You have to be careful with some of the Russian stuff, some of them can cause eye damage from some type of radiation that reflects back. a fairly inexpensive filter can be installed to counteract it though.

Jason El Paso sells a pretty nice unit...not sure if he still carries them though. Ya might wanna shoot him an email. Great optics. I have an old russian unit that's been great for a long long time.

Got Night Vision? Then you need to check this out- IR LASER SIGHT- for you night vision folks, you should try the Corsak
IR
laser with your NV. Barrel or rail mounts available, this weapon aiming
laser throws a beam of IR laser light that is invisible to the naked eye,
but is extremely bright with any kind of NV gear, from Gen 1 on up. I have
mine monted below the barrel, with a conventional scope on top, for day OR
night use. This is very similar to the US made PAQ-4 IR laser, which is
very
expensive if you can find one at all. The Corsak is a well built Russian
import, quite legal, which mounts well on an AR with the barrel mount
under
the barrel. I mainly hunt coyotes with it, start around dusk and stay out
till whenever. My NV is a headgear mounted NVPS-10 in Gen 3, but the laser
was just as visible with my older Gen 1, even out to 250 yds. and more!
They
are available from Todd Jett, a fine fellow to deal with, he is trustworty
and will answer any questions, will send you pictures, and I highly
recommend him. They come with a pushbutton rear swith, and also a pressure
switch which screws in place of the pushbutton, and which you can mount
anywhere you want Todd has them for $295- a good deal, in my book! His
email
is: Todd Jett coastalengprod@earthlink.net

kytimberman, sounds like an interesting set up you have there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've been considering something similar myself. I can't really afford a dedicated night vision rifle and scope at the moment, so being able to use the rifles I already have appeals.

I'm assuming that you aren't able to shoot normally from the shoulder with the NV head gear on, so how far do you find can you shoot accurately from the hip? The Corsak laser sight you have is available at a good price here. I was wondering, how big is the dot at distance?

Take care,

Pete

Howdy,Pete-

At 100 meters I'd say the dot is about 3" or so. Through the NV it is an intense bright spot at that range, but I don't try to shoot much past that. While you can see it out to 250=300 yds, for positive target ID I think it's best to stay within 100 . Inside of 75 they are in bad trouble if I can get 'em to hold still for just a second. I think coyotes are easier to call at night. I'm thinking of trying to mount one on a 3 1/2 " 12 Ga.- seems like it would be a good close range gun.

I think Ky--- is right. I was talking to a dealer about buying a better night vision rifle scope and he said I would be far better off going with the gogles and a lazer sight. With that set-up you don`t have to take your eyes off the coyote when mounting your gun and you can shot from the hip when their close and still have a good point of aim. He also said that coyotes could see lite in the lower IR range but not the higher. He said the the IR lite that they could see didn`t seem to scare them like visable lite does though. I may move up to this set-up but will keep my night vision scope till I do. The scope I`ve got is real clear in the center but loses focuse at the side, from what I hear them all seem to do that. The only real complaint I have with it is that it is alittle hard to zero as it does not seem to track evenly when adjusting it. It does hold zero very well and is plenty good for nite hunting after you get it zeroed.

Catfish- My scope(Gen 1, mentioned above) is sold to a fellow from CT who (used to) have feral cat problems. I don't know for sure if the coyotes can see the IR at all or not. One thing for sure- it is worth using just to "light" their eyes up, even on a fairly bright night. And actually, with a NV headgear on, it is difficult to shoulder a rifle normally, so a hip shot, especially w/ a backrest against a tree or something, is pretty steady. I recently put an IR filter on a rechargeable Scorpion XT by Streamlight, WOW- like an unfiltered Q-Beam through the NV! I could see clearly out to 250-300 yds. This is going to depend more on the NV than anything. The next thing I want to try is mounting an IR laser on a shotgun for close cover- I think that will be especially deadly.

I tried the laser/NV combo with Gen III PVS-7 night vision goggle on a full-moon night.

Conclusion: the laser is not specific or firmly attached enough to get any kind of accuracy over 75 yards. You can see it like nobodies business, but after a short distance, the size of the laser dot gets pretty big. This becomes really obvious when you go to sight it in. At 50 yards, the laser nearly covers the bullseye and first two rings. My grouping was twelve inches at 50 yards.

Also, the NV goggle takes some getting used to. It's uncomfortable to keep it in its harness all the time. You can't see where you're walking (if you're focused at distance you can't see where you're stepping very well) and it strains your head after a while. So, you end up using it a lot like binoculars. Then, when you see something, you have to snap the goggles in and try to acquire it with your laser (which you've probably had to turn on.)

In sum, I going to try the NV goggles in conjunction with an NV scope. Expensive, yes, but it should work great.

I bought the IR laser recommended here and we'll see if that's much better. I doubt it will suffice either at longer range.

I broke down and bought a scope (Aries 7900).

I don't have much choice, though. It's illegal to shoot at night with a spotlight unless you get specific sheriff permission in my state.

Regarding Gen 1 Night Vision, I feel that they are not worth the money. There are other devices that work better, such as the Nite Max, that won't cost that much. The nite max is a digital nightvision viewer with a 2.5 inch screen. Has rechargeable battery and RCA vidio output so it can be transmitted to a tv or vcr. all for only 500$ Just better than some NV viewers I have seen

I am also trying to find out the laws regarding the use of nv scopes etc, in Oh. No one is getting back in touch with me. any info would be appreciated

SRS 1: Go to coyotehunting.com, and you will find a link to a page with the regs for all the states listed. You should be able to find your answer there. As far as Gen 1 goes, you are right. It's really only effective at short range(under 75 yds.), or requires lots of additional IR, like a spotlight with IR filter. Gen 3 is the way to go if you can $tand it. In combination with the Corsak IR laser it is pretty wicked, especially shotgun mounted- I may have an extra one to sell if you're interested. timberman@direcway.com Good luck!

I just got a gen 3 scope from us nightvision a week ago. my wallet is much lighter now, much lighter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I have to say though, it was worth it. I can shoot accurately at to 300 yds, crosshair is fine so it doesn't cover the target. I have it sighted in and am going to take it out tonight. I found out that it's legal to us NV in OH but I have to keep a white light on that is visible to a 1/4 mile. Not sure how that will work out, I will keep it shining up and out of the way. We'll see.

OK, after some tinkering, and after switching to a flat-top AR-15, it seems that I got the Aries 7900 Gen 3 nightvision scope working.

I put four boxes of .223 through it and it held a five inch group in the black at 75 yards. This would be horrible accuracy for an AR-15, but a nightvision scope during the day doesn't see very specifically, even at 75 yards. I'm basically bisecting the black bullseye and hoping I'm in the center.

The Aries is good in that it looks like a scope and has a very handy flip-down cover over the objective lense. However, it has the following problems:

-weighs well over 2 lbs.
-the mount is cantilevered way back so there is some flex in the mount
-the mounting system works it's way loose of the weaver rail if you don't keep the nuts tight.

After all, I think I'd try the USNightvision USN 441 before I bought an Aries.

SRS 1: I'd like to hear how the US NV scope is working. Which model is it and is it holding its zero?

I'm wondering if these heavy scopes have inherent problems keeping on the rail after repeated exposure to recoil.

Also, I'm wondering if my next scope should be the USNV.

I have the D-443. It is a gen 3 starlight scope, weighs around 3 pounds. It has side focus, and an adjustment on the crosshair to change the brightness. It is extremely accurate, the windage and elevation moves correctly, 1/4 moa. I think the crosshair covers 1" at 100 yds. It resembles the 441, but has a gen 3 64 lp tube.

Back