how many layers of Dykem?

d2admin

Administrator
I bought some Dykem and put on 3 layers. Seems like it is dark enough red but I won't know until I try it tonight when I go hunting. I guess I will take the can with me and just spray on another layer if it is too pink. Any suggestions on how red is too red? 1 million cp. Is it just personal preference? Got my Dykem at a welding supply shop.

Ive done 3 lights of my own...

In my experience, after 3 coats it doesnt get much darker. Just thicker. "Sticky Strawberry" is as red as it gets.

Well yeah... its not dark enough that Id personally call it "cherry" or even "apple".

When a light is is "freshly done" with dykem it looks to me the same color as as a Jolly Rancher Strawberry-flavored sucker that someone just licked. so "Sticky Strawberry"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What is dykem. Is it something that you spray on a light for red color. Never heard of it. Does it work well. Cause I have a spotlight that I can't find a red lense for(odd diameter).

Cherry jello is my flavor. Clear as a bell and red as hell.

Dykem is the brand name of a layout fluid that machinists use. The spray version is what some of us use on our spotlights instead of a red plastic lens. Search www.grainger.com for red spray dykem and see what you find. It's awesome stuff. If you order it, get a can of remover, too.

Go to a hobby store and get some red cellophane. Usually a double layer is fine and all you need. I just wrapped the cellophane around my lamp and secured it with rubber bands. Trim excess with scissors. No mess, works great and it is pretty tough stuff, no problems so far.

Well I used 3 layers. Went out the other night with Dunc. We picked up lots of rabbits in the light but no predators. 3 Red layers was great. Dunc tried the red plastic wrap, my Dykem job blew his away. The light was more focused and outlined objects much better. When we got home we Dykemed his light right away.

Back