Coyotes and fawns

fur

Up here in western MN the coyotes have been getting a lot of blame for taking fawns.

Around our community the word is that farmers have been finding evidence of numerous fawns around and in the dens. The trouble is that most of these accuzations have been taking place at the local coffee shop or at the bar. As we all know these places can be a large rumor mill with know basis of actual truth.

The MN DNR denies this is happening, so I am trying to find documented proof one way or the other, if coyotes are indeed taking fawns.

So my question is this: Does anyone on this forum have any documented proof coyotes taking fawns?

"Fur",

I read an article in Americal Hunter magazine several months ago about a study that took place in Texas and was performed by the Texas Wildlife group. If my memory serves me correct, they dug up a coyote den and found several fawn skulls (I belive the number was 13) inside the den. I personally have seen evidence of deer and fawn kills. They ate almost everything on the fawn...skin still had spots.

I have read other articles also with the same basic information from other states.

Good luck with your search.

This isn't a suitcase this coyote is packing...

457371.jpg

I worked on the Starky Elk study in eastern OR for a couple days helping to radio collar fresh born elk calves. In one morning we found and retrieved 3 collars off calve's that had been collared in the last three days. Tracks and kill methods said yotes.
I never heard the final mortality numbers but 9 calves were collared during that 3 day period, one third died to coyotes. I'm sure the final #s are documented as part of the Starky study.

I'm certain fawns are at least as picked on, maybe more so as a elk cow can be pretty good in a stomping match.

Why would anyone doubt that they prey on fawns?
If the opportunity was there , of course they would kill a fawn.
They prey on everything else.
Seems like it would be harder to catch a rabbitt.
Or is it the number of fawns killed that is in doubt?
PC

Quote:
Why would anyone doubt that they prey on fawns?
If the opportunity was there , of course they would kill a fawn.

I agree! with pinecone.

I don't know about everywhere else, but I do know about around here. The coyotes hammer fawns really hard. Fawns are also a major protein source for bears in the spring. I don't see many bears around our place until the does start dropping fawns, then I sure do. Thats also the time when I see most coyotes around.

BTW, NONYA is correct. My son and I watched a lone coyote kill a full grown, healthy mule deer doe. That was a sight I will never forget. Very impressive.

Fellas,

I am not denying what anyone on this forum is saying. I am also quite sure that coyotes are taking fawns and are a threat to our fawn crop.

The DNR says they are not a threat to our fawn crop. So, I am trying to get documented proof to prove to them that coyotes can be a problem to our fawn crop.

We have been seeing a lot of dry does in this area and my guess is coyotes are taking the fawns. We have had some nice winters and there is no reason for does to be aborting so something else has to be happening to the fawns.

My thought is that in the spring our cover is at a minimum with about 90% crop land and 10% CRP and cover. When a doe drops a fawn it is dropped in that 10% giving a predator like a coyote a very good chance of finding and killing the fawns.

Back when we had fox and before the coyotes moved in, our does ran mostly with twins and these past years you maybe see one or no fawns at all.

This is why I am asking for documented proof, I would like to prove my case to the DNR

There have been all sorts of studies done by various wildlife agencies and college graduate programs on the subject. If you begin to search the internet you shouldn't have trouble finding what you need.

It's a FACT that if they can sniff out the rather odorless fawns, or catch them in transit, they are an easy meal. I have witnessed fawn parts in dens, as well as grown deer parts. I have watched commercial hunting videos where the host claims to have found 12 fawn skulls in one den. Coyote are opportunists, and will basically eat whatever they can kill or find as carrion. The only proof you should need is the definition of PREDATOR.

Of course they eat fawns. Black bears and bobcats do as well.

I have twice seen coyotes cross the road with a fawn in its mouth.

The predation on fawns has devestated our deer herd in Western Ma., and no matter what the state has an excuse for the drop in deer kill. Year after year its too hot, too cold, too rainy, no snow, too much snow, blah, blah, blah.........

They just want you buying a license and a doe tag.

What morons, the last thing we need around here is folks shooting does. States tight, and I guess they need that extra 10 dollars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

You say that the DNR denies this right? Have one of them dress up in a fawn outfit and call in a coyote for them. I'll bet there attitude will change. Our Game and Fish ays the same thing about lions around here.

Back