Seen eyes

v2k

I am new to night calling, last night I tried it and had something come in. It took about 15 minutes then I could see red eyes, must have been 300 + yards out. I looked through the optics and thought it was a coyote. But don't there eyes shine green or is it red. What ever it was it stayed there about a minute or two and then left. Just wondering what color there eyes are at night.

Ever since I started using a red lens, I cant tell a critter from the color of its eyes. They seem to shine red, yellow, gold, green, but mainly red.

Ive gotten kinda used to night hunting, so I am starting to figure out critters due to their movements more than anything.

Because the eyes are gathering light and what you see is the reflection of that light, all the animals you see at night with a red light, will be red. There are some variations of red, but all red none the less. Cats are a bit brighter most of the time, and other critters that are not predators,(deer, goats, etc) will not be nearly as bright. See ya'...Randy

------------------

http://predatormasters.com/varmint_masters.html

I have just been night hunting a few times now. On the first night out I had a coon come to the call. On the second night I was set up in a field I slipped into the set up with no lights on got set up and made a location howl, with a female howler. After about two minutes I turned on my spot light. There were three sets of eyes about a hundred yards out to my left, down wind. I tryed some lip sqeaks and they never moved. I was using a shot gun, so I didnt have any optics to get a better look. I tryed just about everything and they just sat there looking at me. My question is were they yotes or were they deer. I would have thought if they were deer they would have got the heck out of there, but they staid there the whole time I was on stand. Do you think I just gave some coyotes something to think about.

Deer will do that around here. They might come charging in up to 50 yards, then just stand there the rest of the stand. Usually a coyote won't stay around, especially downwind, that long.

I didn't think that a coyote would stat around that long down wind either. But I can't hardly believe that a deer would either. The deer are very thick around were and they just dont stick around very long. Thanks

Hillbilly, those were probably Deer. Coyotes would have probably bugged out. I have some video of a nice mule deer coming 50' from me while calling, they are very curious, and are not as skidish with the red light. One more thing, you might want to turn on the light as soon as you start calling, if those were coyotes, they would not have seen you before you saw them with the light on. I turn the light on and look around before I call...just a thought...Randy

------------------

http://predatormasters.com/varmint_masters.html

If you want to find out if it's a deer, just play a little fawn distress. I've had them dang near run into the side of the truck or run over me at night on the ground.

use the spacing between the eyes to tell difference between coyote and fox. both glow red with red lens,fox eyes are tight together where coyotes are spaced a little further-notice-that's to tell difference between fox and coyote if you're sure it's one or the other. here in pa. we can tell by the time the critter lets you light it. if it disappears in a second or two,it's a coyote.any longer it's a fox.yotes here are know what goes along with the light...LEAD!!

Back