hunting from trestand at night????help

buzzbait

i am new at coyote hunting,only been 3 times,first 2 times i walked in on them early in the morning,only to have them spot me first,3rd time i took a buddy and got there 2 hours before sunup.after 15 min. my buddy said hed be rite back,i thought he had to pee.2 hours later at sunup i start calling,here comes one comming straight toward me,as i got him in scope he takes off,im like wow what happened?then here comes my buddy boppin up the field,seems he had to go for coffee,boy was i peedoff.anyhow i built a tree stand neer where they come out at.ive learned a lot from everyone here,so im gonna night hunt them,i got some dykum to put on my spotlights,should i leave them on the whole time im calling,i also have decoys.and another thing id like to know is i have 6 different fields to hunt in now with permision to build stands in trees,i have the wood so its not gonna cost me nothing.is this a good idea??? hunt a different place every month or so,will they eventually come back in after so long?? like i said im a rookie but im learning,lol.ive killed deer but have never had a rush like i did when one came rite to me.im getting close lol.thanks for any help.

I think you'd be better off on the ground. You have to be able to see pretty good around you at night. You never know for sure where they're gonna come out. If you don't get that light in their eyes, they'll bust you.
If you do call from the treestand, make sure the call is up there with you. Otherwise, you will have trouble catching their eyes with the light. They have to be looking fairly close to your position in order for the light to reflect. Oh, yeah! Keep that light running the whole time you're on the stand.
Good luck!

thanks songdogger,i have the stand right on the edge of field,in the corner,if this helps. and also will they come back after so much time,after i get one? the lights im using are going to be on the stand shining on decoys in the field,will this work? thanks for your help,buzzbait.

People say that you should wait two weeks, but I never do. If it's a good spot, they should be around, especially if you only call in one and shoot it.
As for decoys at night, I've never used them. If you are using white lights on the decoys and the coyotes aren't used to white light shining(street lights and guard lights for example) they may not come in to the dekes anyway. Just try the tree thing the way you would like to and see if it works. I'd try it first with no white lights.

thanks again songdogger,as far as i can recall there are near 8-10 coyote on the ridge,i am using a moving decoy,with scent,i am using red spot lights,the decoys will be probly 150 ft. away.im sure they wouldnt like white lights,lol.im pretty sure ill see them,i just wanted to know if i get one i can go back to the same stand after so long? a couple of weeks would be great,i have several different places i want to put stands,so what i am trying is to rotate my stands and hunt a different one every month or so,just curious as to whether this will work? thanks again, hate to bug you.im just trying to get a pattern,lol. thx again,buzzbait

Back