AZ Night Calling

If they do they probably wont admit it...

Though Ive ben curious to just go out and see how much better my usual spots would be if night hunting were legal... you know, leave the guns at home and give it a shot just for the hell of it.

Everyone just some FYI's...

http://www.azgfd.com/frames/regs/index.html
You better check page 59. Top left corner. ARS 17-301

the part that says you cant take non-aquatic wildlife except during daylight hours, unless otherwise prescribed (as in the new shotgun only regulation that is expected in March of 2003).

Also see the part right below it about not taking any wildlife with the aid of artificial lights...

also Scottsdale city limits have changed... http://www.ci.scottsdale.az.us/maps/image.asp?image=citylim.gif Which encompasses a good chunk of open desert... very deceptive

You cant even shoot a paintball gun inside the city limits... City limits supersede 42M regs...

Most of that property to the East of the City Limits and 42M is National Forest ( you can use a rifle ) or Maricopa Parks (IE McDowell Mountain Park and Preserve, also no to limited hunting (bow only))

Im sure you knew this all AZ Critter Caller and that you are operating within the laws so dont take offense, but I know we have a lot of lurkers and Id hate for anyone to go out and get in trouble...

[This message has been edited by Robb/Scottsdale/AZ (edited 02-21-2002).]

Encore,

I was kidding about the head up the a@s thing. I guess I have a different sense of humor(I am a big smarta!s), hope I didnt hurt anyones feelings.

I am trying to be helpful too...

[This message has been edited by AZ Critter Caller (edited 02-27-2002).]

i think Robb bruises easily.

Hahahha, just kidding!!!!

------------------
"When you remove people's arms, you make worthless slaves."

Just got back from vacation, all kinds of stuff just waiting for me... haha

Before anyone goes out and gives it a try, Id suggest you contact AZ Fish and Game directly (since theyd be prosecuting you), and get their OFFICIAL opinion on it first.

(edited for content)

[This message has been edited by Robb/Scottsdale/AZ (edited 03-04-2002).]

Hey thats cool more critters for me. I wasnt really asking for anyones input on their intrepretation of the laws in AZ I was asking if anyone night called in AZ remember.

[This message has been edited by AZ Critter Caller (edited 03-01-2002).]

The commission rules section states an individual may use artificial light to take non-game mammals, but that the light may not be attached to, or operated from a motor vehicle including powerboats. I still havent tried it but I think I am going to rig a medium size mag light to my stabilizer. I need to get that Dykem stuff everyone talks about for the lense.

FYI....

ARIZONA-Night Predator Hunting Proposal
Moving On The Slow Track

YUMA – The Arizona Game and Fish Commission on Feb. 22 gave the nod for the department to move forward with a “comprehensive internal and public review process” for a night hunting, limited-weapon, shotgun shooting shot season for predatory and fur-bearing mammals.

But don’t expect quick action on possible commission rule changes regarding this issue – it has been relegated to the slow track. In fact, various commissioners complimented the department on moving slowly and methodically forward.

The Game and Fish Commission was briefed by the department on the issue at its December 2001 meeting in Phoenix as part of the five-year rules review process. At that time, the commission directed the department to move forward in drafting a plan for a “comprehensive internal and public review” process on the nighttime predator- hunting proposal.

The commission approved the following process during its meeting in Yuma:

· Game and Fish employees will be distributed a payroll stuffer requesting their written comments and feedback on the proposal. They will be provided a summarized overview of potential rule changes necessary to allow such a season;

· The Review Team is sending out a questionnaire to the various Western states and will be analyzing the benchmark data collected. This information will also be shared with department employees, and ultimately with the public.

· The Review Team will evaluate internal comments, and the benchmarking data from the Western states, and will then provide that information to the commission at its May 18 public meeting in Tucson.

· On May 18, if the commission approves moving forward with the process, the department will establish parameters and sideboards for a public outreach plan, including statewide public meetings.

At the end of the public input process, the department will provide the commission with a briefing and summary of public comments and the department’s recommendation on rulemaking (possibly at the commission’s September meeting in Springerville).

This exhaustive process is being conducted before any formal rule change is drafted and brought forward for full public input.

R12-4-304. Lawful Methods for Taking Wild Mammals, Birds and Reptiles

(snip)
E. An individual may take nongame mammals and birds by any method except foot-hold steel traps or methods prohibited in R12-4-303 (firearms) or R12-4-318 (seasons). An individual may use artificial light while taking nongame mammals and nongame birds but shall not use firearms at night, and shall not attach lights to or operate moveable lights from a motor vehicle, including powerboats.

Spose you could use a crossbow instead of a compound bow if you wanted.

I still dont like the Violations Section aspect mentioned already... Id still call AZGFD to verify, and get the name of the person that tells you its OK/Legal to go out after dark, and carry it with you.

You can get Dykem at Grainger's... I think they have a location on Deer Valley Road over by the 17.... www.uswestdex.com and then call them up to verify inventory.

Let us know how you do !

Cool so maybe us AZ boys can use shotguns too someday... Thanks for the info both from AZGFD, and on the Dykem subject. Thats right on my way home from work. I am going to call AZGFD before I go out and see what they say. I will post what I find out.

[This message has been edited by AZ Critter Caller (edited 03-04-2002).]

In about a year if it goes through.

I hear they might push for special classes (Night Hunters Ed) to be taken before getting individual permission (Jay Nistetter spoke at one of the hearings and offered this according to the AZGFD records), and we still have to see where/how they will apply the rule (Limited areas and times)

Back