New New Jwersey Night Hunt

Minkman

Thursday at midnight NJ's first night coyote hunt starts and I've never night-hunted before. Just a couple of questions for the Board: Should I call my stands on the way in or walk all the way in and call out? I can't use the howler consistently yet, planned on using JS lone coyote locator, how long and often should I play it? Is coyote or fox pup distress a good alternative or should I stick to a mouth call or woodpecker tape? I am so psyched I can barely sleep at night, so I might as well be out their calling.

I always try to go in on the downwind side and hunt into the wind while calling through the place. I try not to drive or walk through the spot that I'm planning on calling. We hunt a lot of educated coyotes, though.
I'd play the lone howl and let it go maybe two howls, then cut it off. Coyotes are getting really territorial right now, so it just might do the trick.

------------------
Bye y'all
yotewalk.gif

B. Pierce

Thanks Songdogger, now how does rain, freezing rain and sleet play into this? I'll be going at midnight unless the wind is over 20 knots.

How is coon squalling for coyotes? By itself or with a red or grey fox distress.

Are decoys effective at night?

Thanks

Well it was raining last night, wind from the NNW varying from none to 15 knots.I got in my first set-up at 12:05, wind in my face, waited 10 minutes and cranked up JS red fox with cottontail. after three series and about 15 minutes, I heard yipping about 100 yards out upwind. Kept my calling lower and not too frequent. After forty minutes (total time) I still had no eyes in the fringes of the red light. Were these the coyotes I know whats up yip's? The later stands had either the wrong wind to enter the woods or fog that limited my vision to 15 yards. And I broke the lens on my Hotlite and had to tape the red lens on, which made is buzz, so I called it a night. Only 17 more days of night hunting left.

Back