NIGHT CALLING BY MOONLIGHT?

RB

Over the long weekend my buddy and I went out @ about 9:00pm and would call to about 2:00am. My question to all of you is this. Do you think it is easier to get the yotes to come in in the evening or after dark? Is the full moon to blame for us not seeing anything? Our sets were awsome spots also. fresh tracks and everything! Could it be the temperature? It was around 0 degrees. I guess I can't say we didn't see anything, I had one come in from down wind and didn't see it until it had smelt me already. That one I didn't get, I will have a hard time getting that one to come in again, I taught him well! That was one coyote out of three nights and about 4 sets per time. I think I need some good advice!

thanks,
RB

RB,
I usually use a spotlight, but I've hunted coyotes a few times by moonlight. I've had good luck the few times I've tried it. I stay in the shadows and try to call from a low spot where you can see their out line on a hill or ridge. You can usually make out enough outline to get a good shot, and a good scope will help bring in a little more moonlight.

Later,
Justin

------------------
My pics
My web page

We have the same problem here. No lights allowed. This type of hunting is new to us since it's only been allowed for two years.

Personally I thought we'd gone to hell or texas this weekend. We called in a total of sixteen saturday through monday nights. Our problem was we could'nt see our sights well enough to put that full choke where it was needed.

We had already done quite a bit of scouting and had a good idea of where they were at night. It helps a great deal.Every other stand produced something.Even called in a grey fox in an area full of coyote sign. They usually live on the edges of coyote territories here.

We're still working on this as we believe it's the best way to eliminate a lot of animals in a hurry here. Especially the older ones that usually become the stock killers. Jimmie

BTW ; the temps were around ten to twelve degrees.

[This message has been edited by Jimmie in Ky (edited 01-04-2002).]

Hey RB, not to worry. I have been having the same luck around here. I usually have a lot of critters hanging by now from just night calling. I am thinking alot of it has to do with the lack of snow, they arent as of agressive. Because of the lack of snow it makes it alot easier for them to have full tummies all of the time. Hey by the way there is a predator hunt coming up in swift county. It is held all day sat. Jan. 19. Its a contest held by a sportsman club in that area. The want to cut down on the varmits so they can get there deer and bird population up agian. There is a 20 dallar entry fee with 100% pay back to the winners. You can have up to four man teams. Right now with the lack of snow me and my partner plan on calling all day, but if there is snow on the ground we will be looking for a couple of guys to get a four man team. If you have a calling partner or if you would like to jump in with us, let me know. The meeting spot is in Clontarf, at the Clontarf town hall. Should be a good time. By the way, they will be serving super after the day hunt during the prize give away.

------------------
Cory

Cory B-
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Man, I wish I could go with you guys but I can't! My son has a hockey game. If you want we could set up a time around here to try the river bottoms for dogs though, maybe the weekend after?

Thanks for the invite!

RB

Originally posted by RB:

RB : I've been hunting the full moon the last few years also. Cory is right that the snow cover isn't deep enough for them to work hard for food. It is still easy mouseing for them. last winter was great the snow cover and cold temps. made them hungry and really responsive. I have my best luck setting up near feedlots/cattle yards. It doesn't seem to bother them to much. They come in to mouse near the bales or pick up a farm cat. I also try to pull them out in to a open field, small grain, hay or soybean stubble. Also keep tree lines or tree stands to your back so they have to come into you. No matter how much snow you have and how bright the moon if they are in cover or have trees behind them you won't be able to see them. It is still very inportant to get to your stand undetected as you would during daylight. If you can see good they can see a lot better. I had one stand about 80 yards out and when I slowly moved my rifle up he pegged me instantly. Also it seems for me any ways that up to 11 or 12 oclock is more productive. i think they lay up for a few hours, after that they begin to hunt again. I go though Morton quite a bit on my way to my parents home west of you. I have a brother in Fairfax. Good luck in a few weeks if we can get any snow.

Over the long weekend my buddy and I went out @ about 9:00pm and would call to about 2:00am. My question to all of you is this. Do you think it is easier to get the yotes to come in in the evening or after dark? Is the full moon to blame for us not seeing anything? Our sets were awsome spots also. fresh tracks and everything! Could it be the temperature? It was around 0 degrees. I guess I can't say we didn't see anything, I had one come in from down wind and didn't see it until it had smelt me already. That one I didn't get, I will have a hard time getting that one to come in again, I taught him well! That was one coyote out of three nights and about 4 sets per time. I think I need some good advice!

thanks,
RB

Hey RB and Corey B., I also live in central MN and the problem for me is also lack of snow. Not only can they find food easier but they also are alot harder to see. All the fox and coyotes that I have shot at night are strictly because I could see their outline very well in the snow. I tend to not even try when there isn't snow. This year has really sucked because of the real lack of snow in MN.

Hey fellow Minnesotan's! I call exclusively during the full moon stages at night and the lack of snow has really made for a tough winter.Have had success early morning and late evening but have about given up on daytime calling.Was just curious to know what kind of luck you guy's have during the daytime?I haven't pursued it a whole lot around home but have had great luck out in N.Dakota the past 5yrs. but that's pretty desolate country compared to these parts.With the lack of snow and a lousy midweek full moon phase for Feb.(can be tough getting up for work after calling till after midnight)not to mention the mating season being upon us ,I've been considering trying it again.Let me know and good luck out there!

Back