night hunting = tough hunting

howler

I have hunted at night 5 or 6 times and have seen a few and have taken a shot, I went out the last 2 nights 1st time this year and called and called, heard a few howls so I know they are there,but to no avail, The moon is real bright so maybe thats it but I can't seem to get to 1st base, I have read almost every post on night hunting and trying to follw the advice of experts, I guess I"ll just keep my nose to the grind stone,
I am having fair luck in daylight, but would like to crack this night hunting nut

Hunting under a full moon is tough. I know that Randy does it, and it works, but for the rest of us, if you have a choice, hunt when the moon is down. Especially starting out. Once you have your system developed, and your equipment up to speed, you will have enough confidence to try it with moon light. Then, I bet you notice the difference between before the moon rises, and afterwards.

All night hunting involves extremely specialized gear, to do it right..... and a partner that knows what to do, and when to do it. Anyone can go out, daytime, with a hand call and sit beside a bush and kill a coyote. But, you need a plan to sucessfully hunt predators at night. There is no substitute for going out, and learning from an experienced night hunter. Other than that, the learning curve is rather flat.

Good luck, LB

[This message has been edited by Leonard (edited 12-28-2001).]

Just a little update on my night hunting education. Went out last night the moon is wanning and about 3/4 full it comes up real late so there is a lot of dark time after sundown. I called in 3 coyotes in 5 sets last night, I have yet to get a shot although. I have a 800,000 CP light with a very thin sheet of red plastic over the lens. I can see very good well out past my shooting ability, The coyotes stalled out at about 150 yards maybe less maybe more. My thinking is my light is to bright and I'm going to add another sheet of red plastic to the lens to dim it down a little. Its my thinking that if I don't see them until they are less than 200 yards they may not stall out until they are in good range I'm hoping for under 100 yards, Last night I whispered to my calling friend " you know they are quite a few guys who use a shotgun for night hunting, I think I need a 300 win mag." well that's all for now so I'll keep you posted. I think I'm getting it figured out????

[This message has been edited by howler (edited 01-05-2002).]

Night hunting is tough...but I personally love to be out after the predators in the midle of the night.In the woods...it is a different world.I prefer dark,clear nights...but i will hunt with the moonlight.I agree totally that you have to have specialized gear,patience,and be very observant.a tuned up and tuned in hunting partner definately adds to the success ratio.I would suggest...should you be having trouble with yotes hanging up out of range...that you use a weak light(perhaps a regular flashlight with red cellophane)until you are ready to shoot.I'd also suggest rethinking your setups and calling sequences..either could contribute to the yotes staying to far out.

When I use a headlamp I keep the beam so weak that it only shines about 15-25 yards in front of me, then when I'm calling I keep the beam raised so only the halo is on the ground, which means you don't have much if any ability to see the animal - except its eyes - approaching on a dark night. But at that magnitude, the light will shine their eyes at 50-75 yards and if they are coming in by the time you drop down to shoot they are well within range.

They say the western coyotes will come fairly easily into a light, but why bother with a powerful light if you don't need it and if it might spook some of the more wary critters?

any bright light,even with a red lens will spook a nocternal animal.try it on your self and see,go out to 100 yards or so and have some one shine it at you.you will discover it hurts to look at it.a coyote,coon or anything else is no different.serious night hunters use lights spacificly designed for this type of hunting.they have ajustable dimmer switches on them.all you want or need to see is there eyes.i will also agree,moon lit nights can be tough.the darker the better for night hunting.

I also use a 1000 000 candle power light without a filter and i have had foxes run straight into it...ofcourse coyotes could be a differant barrel of fish all togeather.

I love randys thinking if they stop at 150 and you have the light to see them there knock them down you would in the day light do the same at night.

More update on my night hunting education, went out last night full moon and 15 below zero. hunting on the river bottom, found no coyotes right on the river bottom, but had several responces about 1/2 mile off the river on the hayfields and irrigation ditches. We heard some real old timers last night very deep throated howls ( now guys you know what I mean) anyway we shot one, 1st one ever at night. a real big male.
We used some male challenge howls and they answered the call almost immediatly. going to try it again tonight

Back