feral cats

White Eagle

Just wondering what you guys do about them.I just whacked one yesterday w/280 rem 140 gr.nosler accubond on top of h1000 not to fur friendly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I just did the same thing yesterday for a neighbor up the road. A big old tom started hanging around and eating their dog's food. They started putting food out for it up on a side hill about 60 yds from their house. I got the call yesterday morning to come dispatch the animal. Used my 223. That cat was huge, stank to high heaven, and had a ton of scars.

I don't hesitate at all to kill feral cats. They do a tremendous amount of damage to our grouse, woodcock, and songbird populations.

SG

I'm well into the 30's when it comes to cats around here.
People just don't believe you when you tell them how hard
a cat can be on local wildlife. "kiity just wouldn't do that"
Then you better keep kitty in the house. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ditch lions! Dang things are right below sand fleas in my book. Nuthing like washing your car one evening, wake up the next morning to find little dirty foot prints all over it. Weapon of choice here is a .22, and I doubt they'd even ticket ya if ya shot them from the truck parked in the middle of the road. I detest cats.

Nick T

You guys are music to my heart /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So many cats, so little ammo...

Quote:
I keep a 410 setting by door just for em. I usually blast atleast 6-8 a year.

Your handle and my sig line....we make a great team /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I've taken alot of cats with a pump up daisy in a city setting...sighted that thang in for 25yds, use pointed pellets, drop them on their face with one shot, drop them in the dumpster. Done. These were not cats with collars, they were city ferals....wild.

Now living in the country I can use whatever from .22 to .270win to 45-70 guide gun depending on how much I want for crow bait in the morning.

I'm with ya guys... Though for the "stealth" factor I've shot a bunch with my bow. 100gr Montec broadheads do a real number on ditchcougars...

Oh yeah- cratblasting- one of lifes greatest pleasures. I strongly belive that there should be some sort of awards for the most shot, the most blown up, perhaps a grandslam of crats. Unfair ways such as trapping should be avoided since proper ways to commit mayhem on a crat involve blowing pieces all over the landscape

It's actually pretty fun just to shoot AT them because they jump so high and are startled. I usually end up giving them a warning shot to laugh at first anyway, then I end up hitting them. A friend shot one right between the eyes with a small .22 handgun at about 30 yards... darn thing jumped straight up and landed in a heap and didn't even twitch.

I agree with the others here; shoot them on site, in doing so, saving bird populations and the cats from reproducing and a more "humane" death than Mother Nature sometimes offers them.

And I thought me & my cousin were bad by taking the trucks into ditches after them....I am going to see if cuz wants to invest in a cannon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was renting a place about 10yrs ago and the landlord asks me to clean the population a little , would walk every eavning with my Marlin 25n 22 mag. I took care of 30+ and had a blast, that was a yaer rabies was real bad in the area!!

Would the mods view it as "inappropriate" to post a pic of a feral that was killed 30 miles from the nearest town? We call them in and kill them regularly on a couple of ranches that produce good numbers of bobcats and gray fox, too. These aren't house cats gone wild, they have been out in the wild for generations and are larger and take on different markings than your typical house cat. They also do a number on the quail from what the local game warden tells me.

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty

Back