Black cat

txsleeper

I had a customer come in my shop today and tell me he has seen 2 black cats and trapped a 3rd here in texas. he said the largest one was closer in size to a mountain lion than a bobcat. My dad swears he saw a black cat in south texas one time. Are these guys yanking my chain? Has any one seen one? Anyone killed one? What are they?

There has NEVER been a DOCUMENTED case of a "black panther" in the United States.

There has NEVER been a DOCUMENTED case of a black (melanistic) mountain lion.

As to what they are seeing, who knows? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Could it be a Jaguarundi?

jaguarundi1.jpg

Very doubtful, as they do not range anywhere near where all of the "reports" are, and they have never been documented anywhere other than extreme South Texas, and the alledged "feral" Florida population.

Could it be the Florida Panther?

trcat.jpg

Very doubtful. They are simply a subspecies of mountain lion (less than 70 left in the world) and they are not black either.

Could it be a Black Jaquar?
BLKJAG03086.JPG

Again, not likely, as they have not been documented anywhere in the US other than the extreme Southwest.

If there were as many "black panthers" out there as what people claim to have seen, one would turn up in either a trap, shot by a hunter, or end up as road kill. But, they never have.

Gotta go with Yellowhammer on this one. Ive heard the term "Mexican Black Panther" several times as if there is a distinct subspecies of Mexican cougers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

These reports were from pretty credable sources that Ive never known to venture too far from the truth, so who knows. I personally think that for every bigfoot there is a black panther standing next to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LOL, well when they find him, I hope that they let us know. :rolleyes: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

txsleeper, does the guy have a picture? Im expecting a no already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

You guys aren't going to believe me but about 3 years ago my dad, brother and I saw a black cat/panther in Northeast Oklahoma right on the Kansas Border. It definitely wasn't a black bobcat. It had a tail as long as it's body and all i could remember thinking was that it tail was huge. I was probably the size of a 1 liter pop bottle round. Believe it or not I saw what I saw. UNOHOO

My grandma always talked of seeing a black panther around her and my grandpa's place.

While I haven't ever seen one myself, I have heard some strange things that go "bump" in the night.

oh by the way Yellow Hammer I just spent(wasted) an hour reading about Big Foot sightings in Texas!! one in the county I live/hunt in now Im gonna start taking my 338-06 calling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif (implied Sarcasticly)

Tommy Johnson funny you should ask if he had a picture. He was in my shop looking for a camera that would shot well in low light conditions after much conversation he told me about the cats he is wanting to take pictures of to send to texas game and fish. He doesnt belive in killing them. I say thats too bad cause I would have a full mount made. He told me he would bring me a pic if he every gets one. Who knows. By the way I wouldnt mind having a bigfoot mounted in the livingroom either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

A Park Ranger from Coronado nat. Prk. in S. AZ. told me a Black lion killed two of his hounds near Tombstone in the mustangs a while back. Yellowhammer, in your opinion is that south enough in the US or do you think his story is BS?

Quote:
Yellowhammer, in your opinion is that south enough in the US or do you think his story is BS?

It may be far enough south to be in the range of the jaguar (I'm not familiar with Az so I can't be sure).

I do not believe there are black mountain lions. When someone shows me proof, I'm say "Well, I guess I was wrong." Until then, the "proof is in the pudding" as the old say goes.

I've investigated a lot of "black panther" calls that said "I can show you a track or get you a picture". I'm still waiting, because they never materialize.

I would love for someone to prove me wrong.

I will echo what Yellowhammer has said. Show me proof. We hear story after story of Black Panthers but have never seen one. My dad used to tell me the same stories. He doesn't have any proof to this day, other than "my momma saw one when she was a little kid.......".

If a "black cat" was spotted in Southern Arizona, it was most likely a black Jaguar. Southern Arizona does have Jaguars, although no black ones have been sighted to my knowledge. If they were to see or photograph one, it would not surprise me one bit!

Guys I can't say anything, I honestly don't blame you for wanting proof. I would too. I guess I can say I will always regret not having a camera in my pocket that day, I always carry one now. If I am ever that lucky again, you guys will have your proof, but apparently with the amount of time I know you guys spend in the woods and the amount I know I do without you all seeing one or myself seeing another one, I am sad to say that it was probably be a once in a lifetime experience.

Give me a can of spray paint and a friendly lion. You'll have your black cat in no time. Remember, I have time to kill on my hands.

By the way I wouldnt mind having a bigfoot mounted in the livingroom either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i here them things STINK you sure you want one in the livingroom lol
Rhett

I saw a Black Mountain Lion about 6 years ago...It was killed 3 nights later by the rancher whose land it was on....It had a dark golden fur when it was cleaned up...it had been going in and out of coal celler in an abandoned house. The place had racoons living in it...don't know if he was killing them, or what but he won't kill any more calves.

Sure thought we had a find until we found out the whole story...

Good luck hunting the "Black Cats"

Back