Coyotes: Love Them Or Hate Them?

AzWill

Some folks hate coyotes with a passion becaused they have experienced or seen first-hand the damage they can inflict on livestock.

Others, like me, regard the coyote as a highly respected animal.

Yes, I've seen the damage they can cause and been involved in controlling the damage, but the more I've come to know about the coyote over the years.... the more I value and appreciate the animal.

What are you're thoughts on this subject?

Different strokes - for differet folks...
wink.gif

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

the more I've come to know about the coyote over the years.... the more I value and appreciate the animal. -AzWill

I agree 100% - Wiley E

I'll stick my neck on the chopping block and say I love coyotes. I love to see them, hear them, call them, and shoot them. They get my upmost respect in regards to their intelligence, senses, and how they can figure out a way to make a living almost anywhere.

Even though they can wreak a lot of havoc on domestic and wild animals. I still have to admire the darn things.

------------------

ONLY,A BIG BULL ELK AND A COYOTE ,COMING IN AT A RUN, TO ABOUT 10 FEET, CAN MAKE MY HEART POUND LIKE NO TOMORROW, "GOT TO LOVE IT"

I remember as a young boy, the yippity yowl of coyotes sent a chill up and down my spine. The sound was more than a little bit scary. These days I have very much respect for the coyote, and there is no other animal that gives me more outdoor pleasure and challenge. I guess maybe I love the coyote.
smile.gif

There are several philosophical paths that we could take with this, and I will choose but one.

The animal world, including humans, is broken into three catagories: prey, predator/prey, and predator. Coyotes and humans fall into the predator/prey catagory. We are in the middle of the food chain. However, without tools (firearms, bows, etc.) we are closer to the pure prey side and Coyotes are closer to pure predator.

We, as humans, are ruled by rational thought and emotion, which differentiates us from other animals. We fear what can directly threaten us, like Coyotes, Wolves, Griz-Bears, and the IRS, when we let emotions rule our actions. We do not fear those that do not threaten us, like rabbits, grouse, and the clerk at the corner MacDonalds.

When we eliminate our emotional side and use our rational side we have to respect, and yes learn, from those higher on the chain than we are. They can teach us to improve our basic survival instinct, which are hunting (food and water) and breeding. And yes, only the strong and intelligent survive. When they kill, whether we like it or not, they are doing so only to survive....not just to be destructive. I've only seen pets that have gone wild do that.

Picture a hungry Coyote not killing a rabbit because it was cute. Picture the avarage human, without a gun, cell phone or BMW, surviving a week in the wild.

Sorry for the long answer, but you asked for an opinion. The short answer is YES, I love'em and hunting them only makes me a better hunter...for whatever reason that I hunt them.

good hunting....

you have to respect a animal that man has try to get rid of for more then 200 years. I to have seen the damage coyote can and will do. I too have a love - hate relationship with them.

Doc

First of al I would like to welcome jeep from Las Cruces New Mexico
biggrin.gif
jeep if what I am about to say I hope I don't piss you off partner but please stop yelling it hurts my ears. OK please don't put your words in caps some members might take it in a wrong way. Thanks jeep.
I too have to agree with AZ on this it is so true. And they are darn smart little critters too.
smile.gif

------------------
Jason's Gun Room
Quality Custom Gunsmithing

[This message has been edited by Jason El Paso (edited 04-08-2001).]

Every time I get out smarted by a coyote I am reminded of just how smart they are. I never had much respect for them until I started trying to call them in. Now I find myself trying to learn as much about them as possible,just so I can close the HUGE gap between his wits and mine!!!

------------------
Hunt'em Hard
CoyoteKrazy

Like the rest of you the more I hunt them the more I respect one of the most intelligent and adaptable animals ever created.

------------------
Chuck

When you've seen an animal that you've put your heart and soul into raising stripped of its flesh in a few short hours, snatched while grazing peacefully in the mid-morning sunshine, you don't love coyotes anymore.

I used to think it was neat to hear them howling in the night, too. Now it seems like a taunt. I can't put my sheep or goats out in the pastures. Even my horse foals aren't safe at birth. Coyotes have no respect for fences, or fear of humans. I had one stand me off because I was walking where she wanted to walk. I worry about my elderly dogs going off for a walk behind the barn by themselves.

You said it right at the beginning of this topic, AzWill. Some people hate them with a passion. I guess I'm one of those people.

AzWill, I think your going to get alot of mixed feelings on this subject. As for me I greatly respect the coyote as a hunter, I think alot could be learned by studying them like some of you guys do.

Love might be alittle bit strong of a word for me to use to discribe my feelings towards coyote's. I love to hunt them, but on the same token hate them for what they do to other wildlife. I guess I shouldn't say that either because I only know of one instance and it is very possible that it was the doings of a timber wolf rather then a coyote.

So I think I will say that I admire certain aspects of the coyote, and dislike others.

RK

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

Well, I'm certainly one that can hate if I wanted to. I've lost inumerable amounts of upland game, turkey and a fair number of deer to this ultimate predator. For me, it's economic. I need those game animals to make a buck. But I have to remember one thing, the land that we have, whether owned or leased, has been the coyotes territory for (forgive me if I'm off a few years)thousands of years. We've burned his habitat, plowed his habitat, built on his habitat, trashed his habitat, eradiated his habitat, killed his young, killed his prey....I mean....we've really done a number on him! But the ol' coyote persists...day after day, adapting to what is forced upon him.

So after all the losses, the lost deniros, I have to say Mr. Coyote deserves our respect. It's a survivor. I respect survivors, no matter whether they're human or animal. It's a skilled predator worthy of everyones respect.

My 2cents worth...
smile.gif

My speeling reeks!

[This message has been edited by RedMist (edited 04-08-2001).]

All I can say is this.. That was very good, well thought out question. I read every reply and admire everyones opinion and the way you chose to expressed it. I am very fortunate to have read your answers and I am not even going to try to answer it. My answer is in all of yours.... R.

I have been hunting coyotes for many years and have grown to love the coyote with a passion. I love to watch them hunt mice in an open meadow. I love to hear them howl at night. I love to see them coming to the call. I love to shoot at them at 300 + yards and watch that coyote catch gears to live to run another day.

The most beautiful sight I have seen, is a coyote coming hard to the call, the early morning sun to my back, and the coyote is jumping the low mesquites to save time. Now that is something to see.

I am fully aware of the damage they do to wildlife and livestock, but personally, I wish there would be a closed season on calling coyotes only, during February thru August. For now, the situation reminds me of the bumper sticker, “Against abortion, don’t get one.” So, I do my personal part, I do not hunt coyotes during later February thru August. Again, my personal choice. You know, I really wonder how all the wildlife ever got along without the “white man” telling us how it “should be done.”

I have killed my share of coyotes and will continue to do so, but to tell you the truth, if I never kill another one, it would not bother me at all. As long as I could go to the field and watch the winter hawks floating over my stand, screaming their cry, and seeing the occasional coyote come to the call, I would be happy.

Bruce. . .

Your words mirror my feelings also most exactly!

The coyote has become an old friend, one that I’d like to think we understand each other very well.

The coyote is a hunter and callers hunt the hunters. I think that when you call predators long enough, one can’t help respecting the other.

I remember several years ago, there was this one alpha male. I called him in once and by partner missed him. For several years afterward, when I’d enter his territory, he’d howl at me until I left the area. I tried calling back him in many times but never did.

Some days, I’d glass him in the distance and when I found him, he’d always be 600 to 800 yards away sitting on his butt watching me and giving me hell with that howl of his. This cat and mouse game went on for several years. Then one day I went out to the area and never heard or saw him again.

As strange as it sounds; I think of him often...
wink.gif

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

Back