West Nile questions

songdogslayer

I read the post concerning "interrogation howl" and the WNV comments in that post. However, it's been a long time since that post and I'm wondering if anything new has been found? Here in Scobey, MT, we have been BLASTED by the WNV, I've counted 6 dead birds in my yard alone. The Fish and Game Dept. is suggesting the pheasant population is down 45% in our area due to a very harsh winter . . . but there were scads and scads of pheasant all over the place this spring. I haven't seen more than 2 or 3 pheasant in the last 2 + months (and I drive a LOT between Scobey, MT, and Minot, ND, which is 220 miles one way). I'm wondering about the WNV and how it affects pheasant and coyotes. Anyone know the facts?
Thanks,
~Scott

I am unsure for certain, but here is my feelings. Pheasants have a likely hood to be succeptible to the disease. I know here in CO there have been Sage Grouse found dead with it. Also of course it hits the Mag Pies and Some of the blue birds pretty hard. I have a hard time believing that the yotes are succeptible. I have a few friends that are vets and non have seen fido or fluffy with it yet. They do have a vaccine for fido, but I have checked and most say it is just a waste of money unless your dog is already fighting to stay alive. So a healthy yote might just be the same or even better off.

Just my feelings, however I would like to know for sure.

SDS,
Good question. We have conclusive evidence of WNV in sage and sharptail grouse but not much proof in pheasant. All three are in the Phasianidae family thus one could conclude pheasants are just as vernable as grouse. Probably the only reason we aren't hearing much about it in pheasants is because not much study is going on with them. We have numerous Sage and sharptail grouse with radio harnesses on them. When we get a mortality signal we pickup the carcass and send them in for a necropsy. I'm hearing the same thing around here. Not many grouse, or patridge. Pheasant season opens on Saturday so we'll find out real quick.

I'm not real sure about the effect WNV has on pheasant, but if there have been six dead birds in your yard than you have probably already gotten the disease and your pets probably have too. The WNV is most dangerous for the old, the young, and the sick. Once you get WNV you are immuned to it. I don't know about the pheasants, but don't worry about yourself to much.

Back