record number of wolves killed this year

No, not doomsday for the elk at all. The wolf, griz, elk, deer, etc., system worked very well for eons.

The reason I fought against the reintroduction was exactly the same as the circumstances that caused us to eliminate them in the first place. They don't play nice with where people live.

In a sense, it was the introduction of people into the area that caused the problem. Large predators don't coexist well where there are concentrations of man with domestic animals etc. The higher the people population, the greater the problems are that man has with a large predator population.

The situation is what it is though, and I'm sure we'll manage to deal with it. Bring on the wolf tags. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mikegranger
When you call the feedground folk could you ask what has changed in the composition of the herd? I would think that would be a better indicator of herd health than just overall numbers.

Alberta, I would think that the yellowstone herd and Alberta herds would not be the best comparison. The yellowstone herds winter ground is now a feedground instead of a winter grassland. Elk in a feedlot have to be a little easyer to kill for unhunted wolves. I beleive wolves are hunted in Alberta, yes?

I do beleive the elk will survive the wolves, as long as elk hunting is curtailed outside the park and when a few wolves start starving or they are hunted also.

Not in favor or against the wolf deal, to late for that. Just hoping we get a wolf season soon, never shot a wolf.

"Yes, they have had a major impact on ungulate populations. No, they aren't going away. They have also had a major positive impact on tourism, which brings millions of dollars to Idaho, Montana and Wyoming."

I found this an interesting statement. I would like to know how many tourists have actualy seen wolves in the park. They are somewhat elusive and a little nocturnal. I've gone through the park just about evey year since they were released and have never seen them. I can't think of anyone that would pay to see them chase and kill elk calves on their summer vacation.

As far as Canada and their wolves are concerned, Yellowstone doesn't look anything like Canada and should not be similar in anyway. Yellowstone is really a closed ecosystem like a fish bowl filled with guppies. Really nice until somebody introduces piranaha's. Similar to lake trout being released into Yellowstone lake, these big predator's just don't belong there and are raising havic with the local wildlife.

I feel the extremely large Canadian subspecies should never have been reintroduced. Especially if wolves were moving into the area from other areas. Remember, they did shoot a wolf just South of the park just before the wolves were brought from Canada.

There are may stories for local ranchers, outfitters and hunters around the North entrance to the park that have told their stories about less and less Elk being found. Look around and you will find them. I don't think anyone will spend money to do a study showing their science study is spinning out of control and they can't get the genie back in the bottle

I strongly feel that the wolves that are being killed each year should be live trapped instead of shot and released in those states that have no wolves and supported this re-introduction. Now that we have three times the number orginally of wolves needed to restore the park to normal, we should be able to manage them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Just my thoughts.

I havnt heard the count from the jackson hole feed lot this year but last years was the lowest count since the first one in the early 1900,s.This is a realativly small area and can in NO way be compared to the canadian provinces,these wolves can only occupy the yndeveloped areas and then they are eating livestock and peoples pets,they dont know where the public land boundry line is.

Now they are saying that the numbers here in Idaho could be closer to the 900 mark!This is not good news for anyone trying to make a living,or trying to live in the Outdoors.just my 2 cents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Back