record number of wolves killed this year

NONYA

Record number of wolves killed this year
By MIKE STARK - The Billings Gazette - 12/05/06
Wolves caught eating what they shouldn’t are paying a higher price these days.

A record number has been killed this year in the northern Rocky Mountains for going after cows, sheep, dogs and other domestic animals.

So far, 152 wolves have been shot by government agents or private landowners, about 50 more than last year and an eight-fold increase from five years ago.

In Wyoming, one-quarter of all wolves living outside Yellowstone’s protective boundary were killed after reports of attacks on livestock.

Wolf managers are taking a more aggressive tack with problem wolves mostly because the population in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho has soared beyond expectation in recent years.

“We’ve got a recovered population so we’re pretty hard on them if they get into trouble,” said Ed Bangs, wolf recovery coordinator for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

There are at least 1,264 wolves in the three states, according to new figures provided Monday.

That’s roughly a 20 percent increase over 2005, which is on top of years of steady growth since wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone National Park and central Idaho in 1995 and 1996.

“I’m surprised we ever got over 1,000 wolves but in the long term I think it will be less,” Bangs said. “I think we’re on the top edge of that bubble and it’s going to go down.”

All three states saw the number of wolves grow in 2006 over the previous year. Montana’s total increased from 256 to 300, Wyoming’s grew from 252 to about 314 and Idaho’s grew from 512 to around 650.

In Montana, the increased numbers reflect more wolves in the northwest part of the state and better reporting on the ground in recent years, said Carolyn Sime, who leads the wolf program for Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

“I feel like the minimum estimates are more realistic now than anything in the last 10 years,” she said.

Much of the best wolf habitat, especially in Yellowstone, is filling up. Eventually, as the good spots disappear and it becomes harder to find ample food, the population will dip back down, Bangs said.

So far this year, wolves in the three states have killed 170 cows, 344 sheep, eight dogs, a horse, a mule and two llamas, according to the Fish and Wildlife Service. The kills — greater for sheep and cattle than any other year — are almost certainly higher than the numbers show because confirming wolf kills can be difficult.

But more wolves have been killed in turn.

The vast majority were shot by agents with federal Wildlife Services. A small percentage were killed by private landowners in Montana and Idaho, which were recently given more flexibility in pursuing wolves that were trying to kill livestock.

Typically, 6 to 7 percent of the wolf population has been culled by “lethal control,” as some call it. This year, the rate is around 12 percent overall and 25 percent in Wyoming outside Yellowstone.

“It’s still just a small percentage of wolves involved but when a pack gets into chronic trouble, we get rid of ’em,” Bangs said.

A University of Calgary study published earlier this year said killing problem wolves is only a temporary solution to livestock attacks. Once the offender is removed, another eventually moves in to take its place.

“Wolves are being killed as a corrective, punitive measure — not a preventative one,” Marco Musiani, one of the study’s authors, said earlier this year.

A better approach, he said, is to look at when and where depredations occur and take steps like changing grazing patterns, and using guard dogs, fencing, wolf repellants and other measures.

Though wolves grab the attention, their impact on domestic animals is far exceeded by other predators.

Coyotes kill 28 times more sheep and lambs than wolves, according to figures compiled by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Foxes, dogs, bears and even eagles also rank higher, and that’s not to mention weather, diseases and lambing complications.

For losses that are confirmed kills by wolves and grizzly bears, the conservation group Defenders of Wildlife pays the value of the animals lost.

“I think we’re looking at a little above average year,” said Suzanne Stone, who works out of the group’s Idaho office.

The group has paid out $153,930 for wolf kills so far this year, more than $50,000 over 2005.

Mixed clues about mystery predator

BILLINGS (LEE) — Was it a wolf or wasn’t it?

The mysterious, sheep-killing predator shot and killed a month ago between Jordan and Circle was initially thought to be a wolf.

But now, wildlife officials aren’t so sure.

“Frankly, it has mixed characteristics,” said Carolyn Sime, head of the wolf program for Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

Some clues indicate that it’s not a wolf from among the 1,200 or so that live in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. The animal shot in Garfield County in early November had shades of orange, red and yellow in its fur, unlike the Northern Rockies wolves, which tend more toward browns, blacks and grays.

The orangish coat may be more indicative of wolves that roam the upper Great Lakes region, Sime said.

The animal also had long claws and teeth in good condition, somewhat unusual for a 4-year-old wolf, raising the possibility it might be a hybrid that had spent some time in captivity, Sime said.

On the other hand, the wolf was fairly large at 106 pounds with a big head and hunting skills, which may suggest it was wild, Sime said.

“Right now,” Sime said, “we’re just as curious as everyone else.”

Whatever it was, it had landowners in McCone, Garfield and Dawson counties on alert for months. About 120 sheep were killed and others were hurt in a series of attacks that started about a year ago.

The animal roamed wide swaths of the landscape, occasionally attacking sheep before moving on only to circle back later. Several landowners were given permits to shoot if it was seen attacking livestock but it was never caught in the act.

The animal eluded trackers for months until this fall, when footprints were spotted in deep snow. Agents with Wildlife Services shot it from the air Nov. 2.

The animal was initially reported as a wolf, but closer inspection raised concerns about the identification.

Muscle tissue has been sent to the University of California Los Angeles, where scientists have been analyzing DNA from the Northern Rockies wolf population and putting together a sort of family tree.

The animal’s carcass was sent to the National Fish and Wildlife Forensics Laboratory in Ashland, Ore., for genetic analysis.

The work could take several months to complete.

Sime said that if the animal is a wolf that came in from the Rockies or Canada or the upper Midwest, the genetic testing should provide clear evidence. It wouldn’t be the first time that a wolf has wandered hundreds of miles. In recent years, wolves from Yellowstone have been found in Utah and Colorado.

“If it’s neither of those, the question becomes ‘OK, what is this animal and where is it from?”’ Sime said. “The uncertainty level goes up a lot.”

All three states saw the number of wolves grow in 2006 over the previous year. Montana’s total increased from 256 to 300, Wyoming’s grew from 252 to about 314 and Idaho’s grew from 512 to around 650.

“I feel like the minimum estimates are more realistic now than anything in the last 10 years,” she said.

= theres a hell of alot more out there than were willing to admit.

Much of the best wolf habitat, especially in Yellowstone, is filling up. Eventually, as the good spots disappear and it becomes harder to find ample food, the population will dip back down, Bangs said.

= When all the Elk are gone they will starve to death til they reach a balancing point.

Great critters

Last edited:
they are already replacing the human hunter as a population control tool in many areas,just look at the reduced number of elk tags they are giving out in south Montana,about 1/3 of what they gave out for the last 20 years,problem is that if they do starve to death they will just keep dumping more and more in to keep themselves in a job.

Quote:
they are already replacing the human hunter as a population control tool in many areas,

Thats what its all about.

We have the same problem here in MI. In fact, this was the worst deer season I ever had in the UP, 7 days of hunting and a total of 5 deer seen, no horns. The wolves would sing every day. Baiting for deer is legal here and the wolves have learned to cruise bait piles.

MI has no idea how many wolves there are and the DNR doesn't seem to think there is a problem. I think the auto insurance companies are involved, no deer and no car/deer claims to pay out.

What MI and other states should do is open up a special hunt by lottery. Also open up coyote hunting (in MI at least) during the firearm season. We all know that there would only be a few wolves taken either by the special season or the incidental ooops (I thought it was a coyote) during the firearm deer season.

The deer could increase their population and the wolves would be keept in check, not to mention that the state could get some extra funds from the special season.

JD338

IF my information is right the average age of an Elk is up to around 8 years old in yellowstone. Which means elk are not being allowed to mature...hmmmm could the wolves be having an impact... I think the yellowstone herd is down to around a total # of around 5,000 when as recently as 1990 i think it was at 12,000. I guess when the elk are gone we can try an reintroduce the elk..maybe we will have as good as luck as we have had with the wolves.

Id hate to be trying to make a living as an outfitter in these wolf/wilderness areas,it has to be taking a toll on them in all three states.

There was very good reason to reduce the Elk population in the park. They were WAY overcrowded.

I think introducing wolves into the mix was an unintended consequence waiting to happen though.

On the other hand, it is what it is now, and I imagine (legal) wolf hunting will be here to stay pretty quick, so this cloud does have a silver lining for some of us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The elk numbers were being maintained by late hunts in thier migration routes,like the one in south central Montana,now we have 1/3 the tags we used to have in that area,if the elk numbers were "too high" why didnt they just allow more tags?The elk numbers have been sustained in the park area for 40 years prior to the wolf reintroduction,the people saying the elk numbers were to high were trying to justify the wolf program,go though the park this summer and you will be lucky to see ANY elk.

Last edited:
The elk were overpopulated, even the game biologists who were strongly against the plan (which was most of them) said so at the time.

I lived in WY when the "re-introduction" took place and fought against it. I agreed with the biologists that (more) hunting was a much more effective and predictable method of game management.

There were very good reasons for eliminating large predators from the system in the early 20th century. They don't "play nice" with people or livestock. It's a lesson that some folks will apparently need to relearn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

But that fight is over. We lost. Rehashing it is just living in the past. Lets fight for a wolf (and griz) season, and take what advantage we can of the reality we're stuck with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I don't normally take hides, but I'd make an exception for a wolf coat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good thing all of creation is not dependent upon man to keep populations in check. I find it comical, and a little sad, that there are those in this world who believe something only has value if it can be shot and tagged. The presence of wolves in the Yellowstone ecosystem has had a major effect, not only on elk populations, but the re-establishment of various vegetative systems. Here's some easy reading. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/10/031029064909.htm

Predators do what predators do. Obviously, they're folks like Nonya who believe all elk are meant to be killed by humans and there is no room for anything else. Fortunately, this country is a democracy and wolves were brought back to the Northern Rockies.

Yes, they have had a major impact on ungulate populations. No, they aren't going away. They have also had a major positive impact on tourism, which brings millions of dollars to Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.

As has been discussed here many times, in the not too distant future (hopefully) wolves will be a "game" animal and legally pursued. That will be a great day for all sportsman and conservationists.

When did i say that all elk are meant to be killed by humans?Please dont put words in my mouth.Even the so called experts now admit they have had more of an effect on the elk herds than they expected,they also admit they didnt expect them to multiply like they did,they also admit they didnt expect them to range as far as they did,maybe they should have listened to some of the people who warned them in advance,now they are a problem and they are going to dump that problem on the states.Id like to know how much its going to cost each state to keep track of thier numbers so they can keep them within the feds guidlines,and where is that money going to come from?Probably right out of our F&G funds,straight from the money we spend to hunt game,we will be paying to monitor these reintroduced animals for how long?

Quote:
...................................and where is that money going to come from?Probably right out of our F&G funds,straight from the money we spend to hunt game,we will be paying to monitor these reintroduced animals for how long?

They can tap into those BIG tourist bucks!!!!!!!!

The re-intro battle has ended but the management battle has only begun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The human condition opperates on a pendulum.

Hugging predators is just as foolish as trying to destroy the very last one was.

And what with political correctness in our schools ... we are in for a long hard slogg!

Eat a few kids ...... well the wolf was confussed .... eat a teacher and ........?

Three 44s

Last edited:
Quote:
The presence of wolves in the Yellowstone ecosystem has had a major effect... on Elk.

Mike I'm told the Northern Yellowstone herd is now under 8,000 older than average animals with very few calves per 100 cow elk. Down from highs around 21,000. What is the current herd size and what will happen to the permits for next fall?

What is the inside feeling about what will happen to the remaining Elk? I'm guessing the wolves will not stop eating them until most of the Elk are gone. Will we then have to pay to re-introduce Elk to the park?

Thanks

We manage the National Elk Refuge at Jackson, WY. I'll call the manager and ask him personally what effect wolves are having on the elk herds coming into the Refuge and give everyone an update.

I watched these post for a while now and I am wondering how you guys figure that the wolves are going to eliminate the whole herd within a few years give or take.

We have a good population of wolves up here and there is no great concern about this. The elk population continues to be thriving here despite wolves and bears predation, vehicular collision, liberal hunting seasons.

Everything in nature generally cycles does it not? Managing the bio diversity of an area does not mean only selecting certain species of flora and fauna to flourish but to keep everything in the subject area in resonable check?

Enlighten me with scientific evidence of why the re-introduction of wolves in this case will not work.

Greg

In Decade of the Wolf written by Douglas Smith and Gary Ferguson they talk about what they have seen happen to the Elk herds they are down from about 21,000 to less than 8,000. They also write about things that they have learned from the most intensivly studied populkation of wolves in the world. Before the reintroduction it was thought that wolves typically had pack sizes between 6-8 + sub adults and that only the Alpha's bred but they have found this is not the case. There are packs that have reportedly included more than 25 adults as well as multiple litters being born within the pack. I for one like to hear the wolves and enjoy seeing them but the time has come to manage them. They have had a huge impact on Elk numbers and have also helped out many other species but the time has come.

Albertacoyotecaller,

Are the wolves left with a "free reign" in Canada ..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

.... are there not Canadian government control activities? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I spoke with a retired Canadian professional guide last winter ..... FIFTY YEARS WORTH of guiding!

..... he had NO SWEET WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT for wolves!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Three 44s

I have not seen many government control activities such as culls of the wolf population.

I have talked to ranchers and outfitters/guides that live in the same wolf populated areas where they make a living ranching, and guiding and I don't hear the same drastic message that I hear during these discussions.

Greg

I would think some of the problem is the fact the Elk in the US had not been eaten by wolves for so many years. You have an inexpirenced herd and many will get eaten from being slow. This is a documented thing from reintroducing a predator. The smarter, faster ones will survive and breed but it will take a LONG time to recover the numbers and there will be a time when the wolves will be too many and will starve because there will not be very many smart elk left or anything else they eat. Boom and bust cycles are natural but not fun to watch.

Back