What kind of scope for an Encore pistol.

ciao

It may be a stupid question but, What kind of scope do you put on a Encore pistol? Pistol scope or Rifle scope? I hear different opinons that both can be used, is this right? I'm getting and 15" barrell fitted in 7mm 08 . What do you recommend?

Personally I would not like to get bonked in the noggin using a Rifle Scope when that 7mm-08 Handgun went off.

I have shot & hunted with Single Shot Speciality Pistols since 1982, and the only one I ever used a Rifle Scope on was a .22 LR Savage Striker Handgun, and I never did get used to using a Rifle Scope on a Handgun for that matter.

If it were me and scoping a 15" 7mm-08 T/C Encore Handgun, I would opt for a 2x7x32mm Burris LER Handgun Scope. This scope offers a 21' field of view at 2x, yet can be cranked up to 7x for target work or longer range shots at Deer.

I have tried a lot of Handgun Scopes over the years and always go back to BURRIS.

Larry

The Leupold 2.5 x8 is one of the best Handgun scopes i have used and i have tried the Weaver , Burris , Bushnell and Simmons. The 2x7 Simmons in another handgun scope that is much better than most would think and not far behind the more expensive brands. I personally don't like any Tasco or Simmons scope with the Gold Medal Handgun being the exception.

I have a Lupy 2.5x8 that I like but I like MORE POWER. So I use a Burris 3x12. With the Lupy you can adj the eye relief by screwing in the rear bell which is nice. I use it for silhouettes and have a dot along with the cross hairs and target turrets. I like to keep the same sight picture for all targets.
The Lupy is also easier to find your target IMO.

Mike

ciao,

I got the 2X7 Burris on my 7mm08 Striker, and for the money, I'd get the Weaver variable.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I've got it on my .243 Encore, and it's an excellent scope. Clarity, and focus is every bit as good, if not better, and it's taken a pounding and held up fine.

I second hitman's displeasure with the Leupold pistol scopes, as well as the rifles, for the mere fact that their adjustments don't have the click, or repeatible settings. You'd think for a scope that costs that much money, they'd come up with a better system than that. I got a 2X Leupold on my SBH Hunter and changing ammo and resighting it in is a pain. The optics are great, no problem there.

Take care,
Bob

I would vote for the lowest power you can find. My problem with pistol scopes is the extremely small FOV. This is a fact of life because of the long eye relief, the longer the eye relief, the smaller the FOV, basics physics.

Small FOV is not a problem shooting from a bench at a fixed target. Hunting FOV is a really big deal.

Jack

Back