Black coyote????

JeremyKS

I was deer hunting last night and came upon a black coyote that was mostly black in color and had a few brown colored streaks. I have heard in order for this to happen a domestic dog must be in the gene pool somewhere. Is this true or is it natural for coyotes to have black color just like coyotes that have lots of white color. This is the first black coyote I have ever seen and was just curious. Thanks

Roberts right on the money. It can occur naturally, usaullt natural black yotes will have a white star on there chest. If you want more info on this topic search for "black coyote" or "black yote". I started a failry long disscusion on this a few months back, learned tons of info, I suggest you search for it.

Jeremy, there are certain areas of the country where black coyotes are more common, but I see you're here in KS and I'd be betting that your coyote had some dog in it. Lotsa farm dogs in the part of the country that just don't pass on a hospitable coyote bitch in heat.

For your neck of the woods, Lance is probably right. Now PA is a whole different story though, from what I've heard black yotes are fairly common there.

Oh ya if you go to the main website and click on the photo section, the second last page(I think) has to pics of coyote control and 2 black yotes.

Last year I saw a pair of coyotes at about 200yards (they busted me while I was getting set)running away. The lead coyote was normal colored, but the second looked like an Irish Setter. I did not shoot at either one because I thought I was seeing 2 dogs. I got a longer look at them through my binos when they were about 400 yards out and trotting. I am convinced they were both coyotes.
Fred

Danny I went back and looked again, none of those dogs had yellow eyes. The black coyote I killed had yellow eyes. Wonder if that would make a difference?

Ronnie

Centerfire-223, look a little closer, go to the gallery 2 and look at those pictures, most of them have gold or yellow eyes. Actually I believe coyotes have more of an amber or pumpkin color to there eyes, but not really yellow or gold.

Danny B,
I have an idea. You purchase one of those 600.00 puppies and send it to one of our eastern members for comparison. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich, no way dude lol. Charlene wants one but I ain't paying for it lol. You got to check them Indian dogs out, they fit the description of alot of so called coyotes ( coydogs) guys are shooting. Those dogs came across when the Indians did about 10,000 years ago. All I know is what one of our western coyotes look like, seen about a billion of them, they all look the same to me.......When you figure it all out, please let me know lol.....God Bless

I have seen several color variations here over the summer and fall.We have on video a Black-n-white male a solid white female (not an albino) and there 4 pups which are pretty much normal colored.I also saw a chocolat colored one in Nov.
Here in my area of Northern WV there seems to be alot of color variation and the males are fairly big like 50+lbs.

rws2, awesome you should send that footage to Randy Buker, he is making a PM video, if you send him your footage he'll give you a free copy of the finished vid. And I think many people here would be interested in seeing that film.

Also I recently made a post titled *!Very Unique Yotes!* (or something like that). It has atleast 6 pics of black yotes, and 12 other pics of cool looking coyotes, check it out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hunter Tay,
I checked out your unique yotes post.The one pic with the guy and the dead yote behind the snow wall looks like the Black-n-White male almost exactly.
Actually my buddy Danny has the video and I'll ask him for a copy.He's a Jr.High School Math teacher.He showed me the video which is a minute or so long.
I told him about the Black-n-white one and he told me about the White Female and the 4 pups.
I saw the Black-n-white one numerous times at distances of normally over 400= yds. and I only saw the White one once also at a distance.I'm a full time farmer so I'm out and about everyday and usually unarmed.I'll talk to danny and try to get a copy of these yotes.

rws2, that would be awesome, If you could get the vid.

From what I've found most of the black coyotes have the white chest star and belly. The ones that don't are most likely hybreds. If you look at all coyotes the chest star and belly is lighter, but on the black ones the darker fur makes it even more predominant looking. I'm thinking that the black yote gene makes the dark fur darker and the lighter fur lighter than the normal yotes.

And I've never heard/seen of an all white yote. Sounds very interesting.

He's not black....but check this one out !
BigRed.jpg

Back