Yote howling

Greg Bernetic,
Howling works all year around. I do believe that howling works best in summer, with late winter's mating season being second best. I like lonesome sounding howls for beginning a calling stand.

Rich Cronk,

I have been using a lonesome howl at the start of my stands lately but seem to be having no luck. The other day, I howled and a stand and called the rabbit dinner bell and nothing. Got up, drove away and found some yotes(4) about 1000yrds away sunning themselves. What gives? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Greg

berneticg@shaw.ca

Greg Bernetic,
Calling is a lot like fishing. Sometimes they just ain't biting. What kind of howler were you using? Was the wind blowing pretty bad that day? Were the coyotes on opposite side of a hill where sound wouldn't reach them? It sounds like maybe the coyotes did not hear your calling, but that is just a guess.

Well, you wait until now to tell me coyote hunting is like fishing. I suck at fishing!! :eek: You are too cruel. I am kinda wondering if they never heard me also. The terrain is flat, dense bush bordering farmland and the wind was non-exsistent that day. Unfortunately , I am not using your howler, I am using a Knight and Hale. The wife hasn't okayed that purchase. I am going to chalk this one up to them not hearing me, but please don't tell me that yote hunting is like fishing. I gave up fishing because I was getting skinny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Greg

berneticg@shaw.ca

Greg Bernetic,
I am not familiar with the howler that you are using. If it is ear popping loud and sounds somewhat like a coyote, you should do just fine. My howlers are good but they ain't magic. There are times when extra loud howls are really needed. I was hunting with Scott Huber one very windy South Dakota day a few years back. Scott howled with an Austin Howler on one stand with no vocal response. He then stuck the Austin inside of a buffalo horn and howled again, this time we got immediate vocal response from 1/4 mile or so away. That coyote had not heard the first howls. Without the extra volume the buffalo horn gave, we never would have killed that calf eater.

Greg,
Coyote hunting is like fishing!! The line we use is enticement and our bait is a free lunch. As in fishing, some people yank on the first bobble of bobber and aren't patient enough to really let them take the bait. The one difference is when we set the hook. We have a loud bang. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Just because you aren't very good at fishing doesn't mean you won't be good at coyote calling. For example, I have a buddy in Alberta that ain't good at much but he can call a coyote! Sometimes!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I gotta tell ya Rich, Greg's difficulty is not from lack of volume howling, or whining and most of the time it's just about the cold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Some times it's about the wind, or the sun in his eyes or sometimes it his "stupid" gun that misses randomly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Speaking of randomly missing, it's good to see you back Mike. I'm seeing 7-10 coyotes a day in my travels. Some are this year's crop, but a lot of them are ones you missed last year. They still laugh and joke about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Some times at night I hear them just howling about the Montana hunter that shot up the landscape.

Seriously this is gonna be an excellent year for coyotes. I saw 3 hit on the road in a 5 mile stretch. :eek:

A feller has a couple of off days and he never hears the end of it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Now why don't you tell everyone about the year before, or has that conveniently slipped your memory. And don't blame it on old timers, we ain't buying it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey Mike, Where did that Redfrog go? He might have slipped and broke his hip or something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You know how old he is. Quick, someone call an ambulance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Actually, I don't remember the last time old Froggy actually shot a yote. Hmm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Greg

berneticg@shaw.ca

Back