Coyotes sounding off right after it gets dark?

Shmee

There is a group of coyotes yipping and barking right after dark on a regular basis. They are ususally in the same draw. Would this be where they are denning up or is this just the area they join up at before they go hunting for the evening? Also would like some input on what type of volcalization this yipping and barking might be. Any response would be greatly appreciated!

Shmee

Shmmee,

Picture yourself at 18, it's Friday night, you have a hot car and main street is full of chicks. Did you ever holler at a good looking girl out the window? These coyotes are doing the same thing. Checking out who's in the house, any strangers need to be run off and possibly finding the vixen of your dreams /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Would make me "howl" a bit too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think Mike is harkening back to the "good old dating days" of yore??!?!?! I might also add that it may happen that at the end of a night of hunting, coyote families might wind up the night's activities separated from one another by some distance. The howling you hear may just be members of the family trying to locate one another so they can group up and start on another hunt for food.

This time of year is also the time when the "boy" coyotes are cruising main looking for the available "girl" coyotes and some of the vocalizations might be them hollering out the window of their hot rod, trying to lure in those gorgeous female coyotes. And, as Mike mentioned, some of those howls might be the Alpha male telling other males they had better go find their own girlfriends cause he's the king of the hill right now.

Well you guys tear me up. :eek: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I thought I was serious about coyote huntin', but I never, ever, drove up and down main street, howling out the window of a vehicle trying to date one.HOL
Or worse yet runnin' through the house in my night shirt "looking for a vixen"HOL HOL
If you want a vixen just read Randy Buker's article,.
No need to appear like you need professional intervention.
Man! winter must last a long time for you boys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Now why don't you straighten yourselves up and go kill something.HOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey guys thanks for the feedback, especially in the technical manner in which you offered it.
By the way what are your suggestions on calling to these yotes? Normal distress calls or some specific howl? Just gathering info!
Thanks

Shmee

Redfrog,

Now I realize it is a different country up there in Canada but I bet the way young men act on Friday night are pretty much the same!! Ask Lewis! Of course, your generation may not have had cars, much less a main street to drag on Friday night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .

Shmee,try the howler if you have one. When a group of coyotes get together like you have described a howl from a strange coyote will really peak their interest. If they don't come with a lonesome or challenge howl, give them a short burst with the rabbit call. Be ready though, when they come in they'll be on the fight!! Just like when you saw that strange guy hitting on your girl, while dragging main street. Sorry Redfrog this main street stuff is so foreign to you but some of us can still remember "back in the day". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mike
I've noticed they also sound off at sunrise. Have you had good luck calling em in (coyotes that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) after a group howl at either time of day? And I mean using a howler. I know if the time is right a rabbit distress can set em off.

Brad

Shmee. listen to Mike.Henever had much luck howling inthe "chicks" but the boy does know about coyotes.He gave you some good advice, now just don't miss.

"Back in the day"HOL,LOL.

The older I get, the better I was. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've asked my daughter if she thought a guy was cool if he was tearing through A town, hanging out the car window, howling.

She said "yeah dad A hunka, hunka burning love!
NOT He'd probably grow up to be a coyote skinner." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ,

Bradh,
Just last Saturday had a coyote howl at me as I was getting out of the pickup. Of course he was standing on a hill I just knew would not have a coyote on it, and he could see my truck. Well, I figured I was busted but was going to give it a shot anyway. I walked around the backside of the hill and snuck back to the front where the coyote was. I blew the howler twice, the first to get his attention, the 2nd to get him coming. Sure enough, here he comes full tilt. He turns broadside at 162 yards and I shoot over the top of him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif . Forgot to factor the steep downhill angle. The point of this story is it was barely daylight. Yes they will come in the morning or the evening. When a coyote has a mind to respond to calling, they come. Now if I could just figure out what trips their trigger, everytime!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

may not apply to first thread but a question came to mind. I have heard people refer to packs and groups of coyotes but the most I have seen at one time was 2. so do coyote actually run in packs or what?

Back