Robb, info please

Rich in AZ

Robb, would you reach down into that great bottomless magicians hat of your's and see if you can find any published research results by a J. Flinder. Philip Lehner stated in one of his papers that this person was testing the hypothesis that both strange urine and excess howling reduces reproduction and encourages dispersal. Thanks.

Rich, you could apply this to the lengthy diatribe e-mail I sent you Thursday night. I recall seeing this statement in Bekoff. If howling is proportional to coyote densities, i.e. more coyotes means more howling, then an excess of howling would be indicative of a high density of coyotes. I would bet that other (more physiological) factors trigger the compensatory mechanisms within the popluation dynamics and self-regulatory mechanisms in coyotes. But, then again, if the kids are screaming and the wife's a yappin', what's the chances you wanna get randy on the spot? Seems a little too empirical to me.

Looks like I need more magic.

J. Flinder didnt pull up at all. A search on Lehner of course gave up quite a bit of good stuff, so my search skills arent completely broken.

Ill look some more when Im at the office working really-really-really hard tomorrow, and not just at keeping my office chair "warm" either.

I did find this:

Mark Twain on the Coyote:

Mark Twain saw his first "cayote" while travelling to Nevada on the overland stage, and he describes this classic foot race between the wild dog with his long, soft-footed trot and a civilized dog who thinks pretty well of himself:

"But if you start a swift-footed dog after him, you will enjoy it ever so much--especially if it is a dog that has a good opinion of himself, and has been brought up to think he knows something about speed. The cayote will go swinging gently off on that deceitful trot of his, and every little while he will smile a fraudulent smile over his shoulder that will fill that dog entirely full of encouragement and worldly ambition, and make him lay his head still lower to the ground, and stretch his neck further to the front, and pant more fiercely, and stick his tail out straighter behind, and move his furious legs with a yet wilder frenzy, and leave a broader and broader and higher and denser cloud of desert sand smoking behind, and marking his long wake across the level plain! And all this time the dog is only a short twenty feet behind the cayote, and to save the soul of him he cannot understand why it is that he cannot get perceptibly closer; and he begins to get aggravated, and it makes him madder and madder to see how gently the cayote glides along and never pants or sweats or ceases to smile; and he grows still more and more incensed to see how shamefully he has been taken in my an entire stranger, and what an ignoble swindle that long, calm, sure-footed trot is; and next he notices that he is getting fagged, and that the cayote actually has to slacken speed a little to keep from running away from him--and then that town-dog is mad in earnest, and he begins to strain and weep and swear, and paw the sand higher than ever, and reach for the cayote with concentrated and desperate energy. This "spurt" finds him six feet behind the gliding enemy, and two miles from his friends. And then, in the instant that a wild new hope is lighting up his face, the cayote turns and smiles blandly upon him once more, and with a something about it which seems to say: "Well, I shall have to tear myself away from you, bub--business is business, and it will not do for me to be fooling along this way all day"--and forthwith there is a rushing sound, and the sudden splitting of a long crack through the atmosphere, and behold that dog is solitary and alone in the midst of a vast solitude!

"It makes his head swim. He stops, and looks all around; climbs the nearest sand-mound, and gazes into the distance; shakes his head reflectively, and then, without a word, he turns and jogs along back to his train, and takes up a humble position under the hindmost wagon, and feels unspeakably mean, and looks ashamed, and hangs his tail at half-mast for a week. And for as much as a year after that, whenever there is a great hue and cry after a cayote, that dog will merely glance in that direction without emotion, and apparently observe to himself, 'I believe I do not wish any of the pie'."

Roughing It, Chapter 5

Robb, you really are a magician. Now for the main event, can you find anything by D. A. Danner? I believe his first name is Dennis. While at ASU he conducted research on Arizona coyotes in the 70s.

http://www.gov.pe.ca/photos/original/fae_coyote_man.pdf

Danner is merely refereneced, but still a decent article...

=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==---==---==-

FROM THE SANTA RITA EXPERIMENT:

98. Danner, Dennis A.; Fisher, Alan R. 1977. Evidence of
homing by a coyote (Canis latrans). Journal of Mammalogy.
58(2): 245.

An adult male coyote captured on SRER was transported 48 km away and observed to return to its capture site.

99. Danner, Dennis A.; Smith, Norman S. 1980. Coyote home
range, movement and relative abundance near a cattle feed
yard. Journal of Wildlife Management. 44(2): 484-487.

The data suggest that the use of the carcass area enlarged home ranges of adult coyotes, but not those of pups and yearlings. Immature coyotes appeared to be more dependent upon the carrion than adults.

100. Danner, Dennis Alan. 1976. Coyote home range, social
organization, and post visitation. Tucson, AZ: University of
Arizona. 86 p. M.S. thesis.

Home range areas averaged 2.1 (irregular polygon) and 29.3 (ellipse) square miles for adults and 2.6 (irregular polygon) and 3.7 (ellipse) for immature coyotes. Behavioral observations, sightings of groups, and interactions were used to assess coyote sociability. Average group size was 1.4 and several coyotes formed temporary associations. A carcass area may have increased home ranges of several adults and attracted coyotes from more than 9 miles away. Pups may have been more dependent on the carcass area for their food source.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-

Referenced again:

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/1998/minnwolf/perspec.htm

=-=-=-=-=-==--=--=--==

Refeneced again:

Danner, D. A. 1976. Coyote home range, social organization, and
post visitation. MS Thesis, University of Arizona, Tucson,
Arizona.

Danner, D. A., and A. R. Fisher. 1977. Evidence of homing by a
coyote (Cants latrans). Journal of Mammalogy 58: 245.

Danner, D. A., and N. S. Smith. 1980. Coyote home range, movement
and relative abundance near a cattle feed yard. Journal of
Wildlife Management 44: 484-487.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-===-=-=-==-

again only referenced.... but here is some potential interesting reading.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ws/nepa/WVcoyote.pdf

=-=-=---===-=-=-==-=-=-=--=

Honestly Rich, you might have to take the above journal references, and either make a trip to to ASU biology library or (probably even better) UofA Tucsons Ag library, and you might have to get yourself a library card and possibly look up the hard copy editions and do some photocopying of these Journals or see what they have on APHIS (?) maybe

Graduate Thesis' you might have to request from the department itself

I havent been in college for 3 years now, but they were starting to get good at having stuff on CD roms, like they used to have stuff on MicroFiche.

(nothing but boots and coyote-ugly and Blythe Danner otherwise showed up ?)

Man Robb, I don't know how you do it. UMI Dissertation Services which has every dissertation submitted since 1861 has nothing on Danner. ASU in Tempe has nothing in their records on Danner. Prof. Paul Krausman at UofA in Tucson had not heard of him. I should have asked you to rub your crystal ball earlier. Thanks, big time.

Heck, Im bummed I didnt find the full texts of his work ! Im familiar with the two journals mentioned, but finding out who Danner did his graduate work with at the UofA, might be a phonecall or two to nail down. Those two Journals might be able to get backordered publications from for a fee.

Again my guess might be the Ag/FF&W or Range Management programs they have down there, rather than the Biology dept.. Its amazing hwo disconnected the two divisions often are. Im not sure if youd find a Masters Thesis in the Dissertation log, necessarily.

Glad I could help.

Back