On their own....

Yotecallr

Steve,what time of the year are coyote pups kicked out of the den to live on their own in NE Nebraska or SE South Dakota ? I want to plan a hunt in that area when the yearlin glings haven't wised up to man too much.
Thanks.

Yotecallr--Coyote and red fox pups are really not kicked out of dens or the family. They gradually quit using dens, but can stay in the family for a long time--well into late autumn or early winter. Some pups remain within the family through at least their 2nd year of life.

Re: hunting if you are a pelt hunter I wouldn't start before about 20 Oct, annually. Pelts won't be completely prime until about Thanksgiving, but the pelts a month earlier have nice bright colors that often catch the eye of fur buyers at least in the northern plains. If you just hunt for sport, then hunt anytime when the weather, mosquitos, and biting flies cool down.

Either of these 2 time periods will give you plenty of pups that very willing to respond to calls.

Steve, How would the pups born this year be. I have shot a couple of 25-30 pounders that look young as far as dogs go.

Bob

[This message has been edited by desertrat (edited 09-04-2001).]

desertrat--I have not handled all that many coyotes in the late summer period, but here in North Dakota at least they are in the 15 lb. range or so. Females are a little less than that.

There feet are just about fully grown now, but it takes awhile for the rest of the body to catch up; just about like domestic dogs.

desertrat, shot a female pup, this moring, plus I let 8 more pups go, on 4 stands, the pup look good, seem to me it, about 15 to 18 pounds, and very active. but here in NM, full grown ones avg. about 30 to 35 pounds.

Back