If I kill the male of plair???

d2admin

Administrator
I asked this on other forum but need all the expert advice I can muster so I don't ....up
...If I kill the male of a pair that has a den will the female be able to continue raising the pups OK? Don't want to hunt themm if its going to kill whole family.
Thanks PEte

------------------
Knee deep in brass

expert :*) john henery says he quits shooting during denning season, as he feels its a personal choice about the connection
to nature and the sportsman, giving every generation of game a fair chance as a true sportsman should...hope i quoted him in context accuratly enough to make sense.
as for the answer to your question, i believe the female hunts during denning,
and the male hunts for himself and protects the area. any wildlife biologists out there who know differently let us know. here in ny
we dont have a choice, the season ends 3rd week in march,starts agian in october
time to start hunting grass grizzlies!

Great question Pete...

In order to assure that you get the right answers, I'm going to move this post over to the Predator Biology Forum....

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

[This message has been edited by AzWill (edited 04-11-2001).]

Peteje--There should not be a serious problem with pup survival. The data we had from radio collared coyotes in the late '70s indicated that all the coyote families we worked with for 3 consecutive years had 3 or more adults in each family. There could, however, be a problem with pup survival if the pups are very young and the adult female dies and no other female in the family is in lactating condition. We never saw this, however, but that could cause some problems with pup survival. We did, however, have 1 family that lost the entire litter to an unknown mortality agent. All the adults were still alive, and the territory did not change at all. However, when an adult died there were significant changes in territory shape; not in size. Territory size is closely related to population density.

Varmintmaster--In the coyote families we had radio-collars on all adults in the family performed all the functions--hunting, territory maintainence, attentiveness to pups, etc.; kind of like the extended families in many countries or in this country 100 years ago. Very strong social bonds between adults within a family. To the extent of husband/wife type? Maybe not to that level, but strong relationships nonetheless.

If people paid as close attention to their kids as coyotes/red fox do to their pups, there would be absolutely no drug problems and no school shootings, guaranteed!

With all the data I have seen Steve's data it right on the money. As we speak Texas A&M is doing a study on yotes in a urban enviroment and at the mid point the data is showing that if you remove the male the pups are still surviving past the 1 year mark.

Doc

I have to agree with Steve on the attention of your kids.

Hey You guys,
Thanks for the info. I'm glad I asked. Here in Pa. we can hunt ccoyote 24 - 7 - 365 day night whatever, however we don't have the numbers the guys have in the west. It is very difficult to call them in here in the east. So I want to keep hunting them during denning period but I don't want to wipe them out as yet. Gotta save somem for seed so we have target enriched enviorment....see what I mean. So when I call in that coyote next week, I'll crank up my scope and if I see a penis on him he is deazd, if not I'll let her slide. What do you think about that idea? he he, Pete

------------------
Knee deep in brass

I posted this on the other site spoken of, but in my experience, many times the female will take on another male to help her. There are always lesser males around, and she will entice a more submissive male to help her with chores around the house. Many times there is also a yearling female "babysitter" to help out also. Those pups aren't going to starve as some have stated on the other thread, on the other site.

I agree with Steve here, if the lactating female is killed I think the pups will starve if they are not old enough to eat solid food. I have also seen where the pups survived on their own with no adults by eating grasshoppers. Most of the sub adults are generally from the previous litter. I tell you guys, in less exploited populations, coyotes are a lot more wolf like in their behavior than most people realize. Wiley E

Thought I would bring this to the top. I was wondering this morning how old the pups would have to be to survive if both parents expired.

Back