I need hard facts

Welcome to the PM board Chan.

Yes they will live in the same area, but not harmoniously. Wolves are, or were, coyote's number one predator. Obviously it's hard to prey on an animal that's not in the same area.

Chan,
Again, welcome to PM. Yes, they can and do live in the same area, BUT, wolves will greatly reduce coyote populations. As the wolf populations go up the coyote population will go down.

As you can see, this coyote is running for his life!
wolf-coyote-chase.jpg

Here's a good paper written on the subject. Scroll down until you see the wolf/coyote section. http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wolves/mtg_6/chapter9v2.pdf

I spoken with a guy with some great wolf/coyote knowledge and he says that wolves and coyotes can/do live in the same areas, it is just that the coyotes live between the territorys of wolves in those dead areas. he works in NW Wyoming.

I'm sure wolves kill some coyotes, but it is likened to the swift fox reintroductions they do best in habitat that is the fringe areas of coyote territorys.

Hunted wolves all last winter and as far as I can see they do live in the same area as coyotes but only in that dead area/boundary ADCcoyote mentioned. There may be some exceptions but that's what I saw.
Once you get further into the bush and further away from roads,power lines, pipe lines, and houses I didn't see a single coyote track all winter.
Wolves and Red Fox seem to often share the same areas though.
Sorry no hard facts Chan and welcome to the board! Ryan

Mike,

That's an impressive picture!

I've followed tracks of coyotes killing foxes and it's amazing the carnage. I can only imagine the battle.

Randy

Back