Zeiss or Leupold?

Dogwood Creek

Hi all. Has anyone here had any experiance with the Zeiss Conquest scopes? I am in need of a good glass for a new Rem 700 300 Ultra. How is the Zeiss for clarity, brightness and ruggedness? I know the Leupolds are good scopes,and am leaning that way, but would like some feed back on the Zeiss. Thanks a bunch,R.J.

I would also look at Kahles scopes I looked at the 2 you mentioned and went w/ a Kahles. The low light visibility on this scope is great, I was on a deer hunt last year and early in the morning I was able to see deer clearly at 200 yds that I could not even make out w/ my naked eye. The tds reticle is also a great bullet drop/ranging reticle if you are into those. This is a really good price on them too.
http://www.hunttools.com/product/51903
JR

Thanks for the info. Good food for thought. Now I am really confused. Looks like it has potential. Priced only slightly above the VX III. Thanks for the tip,R.J.

If you have a large outdoor store go look at them for yourself, I was originally going to buy a swarovski, but I didn't feel I would get that much better scope for the $, and that deer hunting trip last year made me really happy w/ it.
JR

Go with a vari x II a tough scope and good optics. Mine rides everyday in the truck bouncing in the gun rack and I have yet with this scope and gun had to ever read adjust zero or had any problems with it. You can get these for 300.00 and have a scope that can take a beating,has good optics and backed by leupold warranty. Lock tight your rings and with the added savings get a stoney point elevation knob for it, sight it in and you'll have quick easy numbered click adjustments to 500 yrds.

Last edited:
Dogwood Creek,
Last year I look through that scope that Zeiss makes and I was impressed. It is just every bit as clear as my Leupold 4.5x14.
The Zeiss was a 3x9.

I have a var x 2 on my rem. 700 and its been on the gun since 1986 and i never had a lick of trouble with it.Thats 20 years and i look to get 20 more,if i live that long.LOL

I love the Conquest line of scopes. Excellent clarity, and good quality. The customer service is top notch also. I had a metal flake on the inside of the objective lens on my 3x9. I sent it back to the factory and they sent me a brand new scope no questions asked. So far the scope has been awesome and is by far my favorite. The pricing is pretty competitive also.

Kyle

I have a Ziess Conquest 6-20X50 on my Rem. 243 and love it. I also have Burris and Leuplods VariXIII's, when compared with my others the Ziess is the best.

Whenever I get ready to purchase a scope I always end up comparing to Leupold. Leupold is not the very best in every catagory but scores high in most. Some brands pass them in one or two areas then fall short in the rest. Kahles is a very good scope by swarovski but I would be surprised if you could get it for the same price as a VX-III. Zeiss is good and maybe a better price than Leupold. Can't remember if it is bulky and if the eyepiece turns for power adjustment, this affects scope caps. The one thing I like about Leupold besides the warranty is generous eye relief, A big deal for getting on target for tough shots or through the seasons with more or less clothes on. I will be looking for the same things all over again on my next scope purchase. It's great when advertisers participate too. Good Luck.

Quote:
I personally like the Zeiss Conquest better than the Leupold's. I think they are slightly clearer and brighter.

That's a fact Jack!!!!!!
+1 on what Jack said, He sounds like a very intelligent man.

Rus

I have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10 on my 700 Sendero SF 300 Win. and I feel it is just about perfect.

Conquest 4.5x14 runs on top of my VSSF 22-250 and it IMHO is above the VariXIII that I have compared it to.

The Conquest line is way better than the old Vari-XII. If no other reasons than click adjustments and brightness.

I have a couple of older Vari-XII that are getting ready to make the trip to their repair facility. One won't maintain zero and the other is yellowing.

I have never sent anything back to Leupold and am hoping this thurns out ok. Will probably sell them when they return.

Leupold the make the best and they will stand by their scopes no matter how old.....I had one of my dads old scopes fog up on me i sent it in they had it back to me by the end of the mounth looking like it was brand new....

Every one has an opinion. The best advice is go look thru them your self.
I did, I like the Zeiss Conquest I think it compares well to Leupold VXII, Burris, Nikon Etc. However I dont think it compares to a VXIII.

There are other things to consider. Leupold is made about 2 hours from my house. Beaverton, Oregon.I lost the rubber eyecups on some Leupy Binocs, sent them an email, 2 days new ones in the mail, no charge. My Brother left his adjustment caps at a range, called Leupy, 2 days new ones in the mail, no charge.
About 20 years ago I bought a used Weatherby Mk.5, 7mm Weathery Mag. it had an old dented banged up Leupy 3X9 on it. (this rifle started my hate-affair with Weatherby) I sold the rifle kept the scope. About 10 years ago, I sent it to Leupold. It came back in less than 2 weeks, looked absolutely brand new!! new inside, new finish on it etc.$56.00 total charge. Made in USA. I still have that scope.
Carl

Leupold is a great scope and they stand behind them second to none. I use my rifle alot and it bangs around in an overhead gun rack and has never lost zero!!!!

The vari-x II or III is a great scope at a great value. Why would you pay twice as much for a scope and what are you really gaining? For practical hunting purposes where shots are 400 yrds or less I see no advantage to the zeiss or swarovski price tags. If your into 800 yrd prairie dog shooting or 1,000 yrd bench rest compitions then maybe but for rugged use and abuse calling coyotes or shooting big game I see zero problem with Leupold. mt .02 cents.

The extra dough saved can buy you a nice reloading package from midway plus some.

I just compared a Conquest in 3-9x and a VX-III in 2.5-8x last night. Both scopes were the same money and I have nothing bad to say about either, both clear and sharp (in the store that is). If I were laying the money down last night for one I would have gone with the Leupold. They just seem to snap up to my eye better than anything else, made in America, and even though I have not had to use it I have just heard too many good things about there warranty. To rescope my coyote rig though I would have gone with the VX-III in 1.5-5x, just love that eye relief and FOV.

Quote:
To rescope my coyote rig though I would have gone with the VX-III in 1.5-5x, just love that eye relief and FOV.

I wholeheartly agree. This is definitely what my next scope will be. I am a big Leupold fan in their Gold Ring products. I would not touch their foreign made junk.

Back