Jackal pup distress howl

kirby

Watched a show this pm, on Iowa Public Television [IPT]. It was about an alpha pr of African Black back Jackals. Program was very interesting, they behave just like coyotes.

One thing, I thought was cool. A lone male pup[close to the den site], seen an incoming Hyena. The pup let out a series of intermitant short duration distress howls. The parents, heard this & soon responded running. From quite aways away & drove off the Hyena.

Once the hyena was clear, they all grouped close together & howled. Excellent program /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Tac,

Distress, as in howling for his parents help.

The male pup's howl's sounded like a regular howl. Just a howl,...no yips/yaps/wines or barks. What was really interesting, was that they started off normal, & ended normal[like, what some call, a "lonesome howl"]. But were very short in duration.

The howls were "complete", NOT cut-off towards the end. Each howl lasted for around 5-6 seconds, no longer.

Each howl, had a 5 second[est.] maximum pause, before the next howl started.

Another thing interesting was, that male pup had the lower half of his hind leg missing. The 1/2 grown pup, was a little ways away from the den & made no effort to get to shelter.
Even while watching the incoming Hyena, bare down on his location.

That movie, shown a couple litters raised by the alpha pr over a couple yrs time. The 1st litter, all the yearling's were scattered, late in the yr. Except one female. She helped raise the next yr's litter.

The following yr, that[Beta female] was scattered. A male[pup] from that yr, was then chosen?[Hmmm, wonder how they choose?], to stay for the following yr. To help raise the next yr's pups. Wished I had that program taped.

Best canine show, I've watched in yrs.

Mike,

It was a very informative documentary. I don't know whether the narrator was a biologist, but he was very knowledgable, regardless.

The last half of the show. It was interesting, as to why the parents kept a male, for another yr. To help tend to the new pups, rather than a female, Hmmm.

After those pups were reared, alpha male scattered the [beta]male gimp. Pretty cool, watching the apha male scatter all of his offspring, off on their own.

They would show submissive licking & posture, wanting to stay. But then he would tower over them, et grip their muzzle or nip their muzzle/neck area. Then off they'd go, pausing & looking back.

Well, I looked on "Iowa Public Television" Web site. That documentary I spoke of, is called; "Wild Things Year Of The Jackal" aired on Oct 14, 06.

Also, It was about the "Golden Jackal". If anyone ever gets a chance to watch it. On their local [Public Television]. It's an Excellent documentary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Back