55gr in the 243

Handirifle

How many, if any, have used 55-60gr pills in the 243 for coyotes and how accurate were they and how much damage did they do?

Thinking of trying some Winchester silvertips.

I don't own a .243 but I bet they would do some serious damage to a coyote at the speed that a .243 could shoot a 55-60gr bullet.

Yep I agree 55 grains in a 243 probably pushing 3900fps is not going to be a good load for fur damage. Should kill them dead but not fur friendly. I load for a buddy's 243 using 65 grain Vmax but we don't worry about fur in Cental Texas. Just looking for clean kills. You may want to try some of the heavier bullets 75, 80, 87. I am sure some other fur hunters will chime in with some better advice.

I shot the 55 winchester silvertips and that wasn't a good choice for "minimal fur damage." I've had great luck with the 58 grn hornady vmax's. Bullet gets there fast, kills them dead, with only an occasional blow out. I've shot a few that dropped on the spot and I had a difficult time even finding the entry hole. I've been shooting the 50 grn vmax's out of my 22-250 and have about the same results. Personally I think its a pretty good bullet choice.

Winchester lists the 55gr speed at 3900, which is cooking, and I really don't need that much speed.

I'll probably have to buy a box of silvertips to set the rifle up since I have no brass, but will try the Vamx loads when I re-use the brass.

That is about the only load I've seen around for varmints for the 243. Any other factory loads?

58 vmax is one of the loads Ill try in my 243 I will be getting in a month or so. Rem Model Seven CDL with a 20" tube

70 gr Nosler BT is the other

Quote:
You can buy the hornady 58 vmax's factory and just cut out the silvertips altogether. Plus they are cheaper!

Will have to see if the local dealer has some tomorrow.

I'm looking for a load myself. I've bought a box of Nosler 55gr BT's and I already have some H-4895. Where's a good starting point?
GAJoe

I use 55gr B-Tips in a couple of .243's using the same load of 49grs of H-380 they both shot well. It will do a number on a coyote and if your trying to save fur it wouldn't be the best choice.

I tried a box. Couldn't get good accuracy from my BLR so I went back to 80 grain SP Federals. I haven't had any substantial blow outs with that load and it is more accurate in my rifle. But I usually use the BLR for open plains hunting and call with a .223 when ranges are likely to be 150 yards or less.

I loaded the 55 grain BT's for 3 differrent 243's. I got mucho speed and very good accuracy from all 3 rifles. The 55's will tear up fur. One problem I had was at close range the bullets would shoot right through a coyote and let him run off. A little further out they killed instantly. I switched to the 70 grain BT and have had fewer run offs.

The accuracy in my Tikka is good with the 55s. I've only killed one coyote with the 55 gr and surpizingly there was little damage. The bullet went in just behind the right leg and came out infront of left leg. A Small hole in and quarter size out. I don't think I hit bone. I think this would be the exception.

I've heard of guys using heavier full metal jackets and they get a exit wound the size of a quarter. Any body have any experience with this?

Just my 2......

If you're going to shoot the lighter more frangible polymer tipped bullets in your .243's, and you load your own, you'll have to drop the speed a little.

Pushing them too fast, especially at closer ranges, won't allow the bullet ample "time in target" to perform it's magic.
Sounds odd, yes, I know, but even the most frangible bullet will pass right through an animal if shot at too close a distance, and/or at such a higher velocity.

Slowing the load down to 3500-3700fps, will bring the bullet's performance into it's "sweet spot" as far as ranges and performance go.
Most .243's loaded with standard weight bullets, and of regular construction, will most often, pass right through a coyote, causing moderate internal damage.
Using the VMax, Nosler BT's and the Sierra BK's, at slightly reduced velocities, will usually allow the bullet's fragile construction, time to detonate inside the coyote and drop them on the spot.

As an example, I'm using a load of 43.0grs of Varget in my 15" .243 Encore, loaded under a 55gr. Sierra BlitzKing.
The load is doing 3550fps. over my chronograph in that handgun length barrel.
I've nailed several fox, chucks and animals somewhat lighter than the coyote, at average ranges from 150-250yds.
I've had one pass through on a chuck at the shorter range, just once.
The bullet just "jell's" the critters shot with it, and based on these field tests, I'm assuming that on the coyote, it would be just about perfect.

Something too close in, with just about anything worthy of nailing coyotes, might pass through. Frangible bullet or not.

Just a thought.......

Take care,
Bob

55 grns at close to 4000 fps blow up on impact at under three hundred yards leaving a large crater and deep hole kills yotes like a boot kills roaches but is hard on the fur. The great thing about the 243 is that you can go up in projectile wt 65-70 grn is almost the perfect bulllet wt for varments in the 3000+ vel range.
To add one thing about the 55 grn 243 loads while they are pretty hard on yote pelts they are real impressive on PD's and chucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif not bang flop so much as bang poooof!!

58 grain V-max. Not too pricey and VERY effective. Shooting them with 40 grains of Varget at just about 3500 F/Sec. Not real fur friendly, but I have seen worse. My cousin's Rem 700 loves my combo.

Back