moose hunt

woodcock

My moose hunt is done! My son and I filled my tag monday morning and it took us 9 1/2 hours to cut it up yesterday. Today I'm gonna sit back and take it easy.
It could'nt have worked out any better. What really made it outstanding is that we did it all ourselves. Drove up to a place we'd never been before on sunday, got a motel and found a place to hunt. Monday at 9:30, driving around old logging roads we spotted a bull 50 yards off the road in a chopping. We backed up out of his site, got out and walked back croutching. We both stood up and I nailed it with my 45-70 revolver. The moose spun around and started to run. Then my son Hit it with the .308. It walked off another 50 yard and dropped.
We were trying to figure out how we were gonna get it out of the chopping when a truck full of hunters stop. Guy says "I got 800 ft of rope, I can haul it right out to the road for ya" I walked in with one end of the rope and tied it on to the moose and he hauled it out so fast I could hardly keep up with it. I gave him $50 bucks and thanked him. Joe and I field dressed it and come-alonged it in the back of the truck, took it to the reg. station and weighed him in at 555 pounds. Respectable size and perfect for eating. We shoved 15 bags of ice in him and cheched out of the motel. WE got home at 4:00 pm and hung him up over night. Yesterday we started cutting at 9:00 and finished at 6:30pm. Were having a friend grind up the burger tomorrow.
The only thing that could have been better is if the moose had run up in to the bed of the truck and keeled over, I would have saved the $50 bucks too!
I'll tell ya something. I've always been "a day late and a dollar short" in this life...But as far as family goes, I live like a king. My wife and kids make everything right.
Thats why it's kind of crazy the way this worked out. Nothing ever falls into my lap! I bought the revolver to go moose hunting, applied for the permit for the first time my life, Got chosen, and my son and I get a moose 3 hours into the season. I gotta say this is kinda freeking me out.
Maybe this is gods way of making something special in my life before its over. It was a good day!

Why didn't he just shoot it with the 300 and not run up and hit it? At any rate. Congrats to you and your son. Sounds like he might have some luck left in him. Also where are the pics?????

Is it legal for your son to have shot your moose even though you shot it first, when you are the one in possession of the moose tag? Just curious as this would be considered party hunting in many states. Congratulations on the harvest.

congrats,, went with 3 other hunters and saw 15 moose and the subpermitte shot a nice, maybe 700lb cow. the permit was for cow only and the permit holder could not get out of truck in time for shot as cow was on the move. it was his first hunt for anything and he did get a bird and impressed us all with his attitude and interest in all. moose was 150 yds off but had rope and pulleys.

Hey guy's, Thanks. ya I got pics but there on film. Need to get them digitized. Fireball221, It's all legal. when you apply for the lottery, you name a subpermittee and both of us have to have our big game liscense. We have to stay together at all times but we both can take the kill. The 50 yard shot I took was the limit of my ability with the handgun. If the moose was any further away I would'nt have shot at all and had my son take the shot.

Back