Gun camo 101

jbp,

I took it apart first, then masked off all moving parts
i.e. forward assist, mag release, saftey, scope, ect.

Then put the base coats down for good coverage.
Then reasembled it for the top coat, so the patterns where big enough to look good. I'll be doing my bro-inlaws gun tomarrow and post it.

Shameless

OR how about my hunting partners AR
tatooAR15038.jpg

You fellows have done some mighty fine work on camo painting your rifles. Congratulations. I guess I might as well add my latest camoed rifle. I did this one late this summer. Yes, I know that the white trajectory and wind deflection chart taped to the left side of the stock doesn't blend in very good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1st_PD_of_day_w_rifle-2--small.jpg

This one is a .17 Remington with an H-S Precision Varminter stock. It had the basic black with gray web job on it from the factory.

First, I removed the action from the stock I cleaned it up real good. Then I taped off the entire inside of the rifle stock to keep paint out of there. I used the Krylon primer and then laid down several coats of the Khaki camo color as my base color. For the leaf patterns, I used the stencil I had hand cut several years ago when I wrote the article about how to camo your rifle stock for the Technical Section of this Board. Here are links to Part 1 and Part 2 of that illustrated article. Camouflaging Rifles and Gear--Part 1 Camouflaging the Entire Rifle and Scope--Part 2

I also cut another stencil in the shape of burr oak leaves that I drew by hand and used an Exacto knife to cut out the pattern. I used fairly heavy ink jet printer paper for these stencils. They do get wet and droopy, but if you let them sit a while, they dry off and become somewhat stiff from the dried paint. However they are still pliable enough so you can get them to fit up close to your stock.

Other colors used were the #4293 Olive Krylon Camo Fusion color and some flat green by Krolon called Sage Satin. I wanted to put something on the stock that was rough and would help me get a good grip on the rifle on the forearm for my left hand and on the wrist area for my right hand. For that purpose, I used #11440 plasti-kote Fleck Stone Spray Stone Finish in the Santa Fe Sand color. I would recommend using it VERY SPARINGLY because it really does leave a very rough surface.

I also sprayed the Harris swivel bipod with the khaki, olive, and sage green, but it appears I got a little too much of the sage green on there. I'll just take some of the khaki and olive colors and touch it up some day.

I also tried the #11429 plasti-kote Fleck Stone Clear Kote on a small area of the forearm to see if that would really dull down the finish of the paint. I WOULD NOT recommend using that finish to dull the surface. I think it actually gave the surface too much sheen, so I left the rest of the stock alone and did not spray any clear coat on it.

I haven't been able to get myself to camo paint my scope though. However, I have used vet wrap tape to cover the silver Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm scope and the barrel on my stainless steel barreled Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger. I did that for the fur season of 2004-05, but haven't bothered to do that since. Here's the old Savage 12VLP with some tan colored vet wrap tape.

Shooting_Position_small.jpg

OK you guys here is my remington 22-250 vsfs-2 i painted the stock with a green grit paint and cant bring myself to paint the rest so i use cammo wrap hope you like it [image]
08-27-07_0742.jpg
[/image]

I know this is a PAINTING thread but i'm with some of the others I just cant bring myself to paint a gun. I do however use Camoclad its a sticker of sorts with lots of options of paterns, all the popular ones. It comes off very easy no sticky stuff left. It stays on!!!!, 7 days on Kodiak during no stop rain to temps at -35 without the windchill. Works great.

I did one a few years ago that I wish I would've kept pictures of because it turned out great, but I later sold the rifle. It was a Remington BDL .17 Remington that about made me cry to paint because it had such pretty wood, but I broke down and did it.

I used fine steel wool to knock down the shine on the wood and de-greased everything with rubbing alcohol. I then used tan Krylon as the base and let it dry. To get my pattern, I took a real course sponge and cut it into varying size pieces. I then sprayed matte black, green, and gray Krylon camo on separate pieces of cardboard and dipped the varying pieces of sponge in the different paint colors and then dabbed it on to the rifle. It looked a lot like Nat-Gear when it was done. After everything dried, I hit it with two coats of matte sealer (Silverfox gave me that tip!). The paint held up really well and looked as good as they day I did it when I sold the rifle (Never should've sold it!).

I have a couple rifles sitting in my safe right now that I've been thinking about doing, but am having a hard time convincing myself because they're so pretty, but we'll see...

Man,you did a beautiful job.I was thinking about doing this to one of my guns instead of paying gander for dipping,which they will probably mess it up anyway.I will give it a shot, carefully!!!!!!!!The rifle i'm not to worried about,but the scope i am,i'll just take my sweet old time taping lenses etc.I really hear alot about black synthetic stocks,i think they are cheap and the companies are making so many of them,just to save money,what happened to the good old days of rifle stocks,with so many exotic and gorgeous woods.I went into gander here in New York and like 80% of there rifle's were black synthetic,it kind of makes me sick with the gun companies,what's everyone opinion on all the black synthetic stocks?This is just my opinion,i'm sure alot of you like the black synthetic.Also, man,do they scratch so easy.it's unbelievable.I just like to keep my guns scratch free and mint,maybe i'm just a bit neurotic and anal,but that's me.Again,you did a gorfeous job on your project there,the scope also looks gorgeous.Oiler,Billy

Another question,will this only hold up with synthetic stocks.wILL IT WORK WITH A WOOD STOCK THAT YOU MAY NOT LIKE AND WANT TO CAMO IT.iS THERE A DIFFERANCE IN PROCEDURE DOING CAMO COMPARED TO SYNTHETIC AND WOOD?tHANKS

Quote:
Another question,will this only hold up with synthetic stocks.wILL IT WORK WITH A WOOD STOCK THAT YOU MAY NOT LIKE AND WANT TO CAMO IT.iS THERE A DIFFERANCE IN PROCEDURE DOING CAMO COMPARED TO SYNTHETIC AND WOOD?tHANKS

It works with both. Same procudure no differance.

Shameless

I bought a black truglo red and green dot scope for my turkey this year,goig to give it a try and camo it to match my moosberg 970,hope i don't screw it up,LOL.If i do what will wipe the paint off without doing any damage to the outside of scope?So,you guys are saying to use krylon camo,right?No need for a primer coat?Thank,Billy.

Back