Gun camo 101

shameless

I had several inquires about how I go about my "kiss" method of camoing my guns. Here is a break down with lots of pics.
1) I use cheap Flat spray paint. Normaly black,grey,primer red. but last year wally world had the real Krylon camo on clearance so I picked some of that up.
ridescamo012.jpg

2)Hit wood surfaces with a light sanding just to knock down the shine and give texture. Scotch Brite pads work on both the wood and metal. I wear rubber gloves to keep oils off after cleaning surfaces.
ridescamo003.jpg

3)Find a suitable branch,twig,leaf or what ever for a pattern. I use cedar, not because of where I hunt but because I have one in my fround yard and its handy. Use what ever works for you. I pull most of the material from it,opening it up so the paint gets through.
before...
ridescamo004.jpg

ridescamo021.jpg

after...
ridescamo006.jpg

ridescamo022.jpg

4)Tape off anything you don't want painted. Power settings,lenses,and so on.
ridescamo011.jpg

5)Dust the entire gun with the base color. Cover the hard to get spots then the whole thing. Do not rush, let the paint dry between coats. I lay down several with coats.

continued....next post

Shameless

Thanks for taking the time to post the pic's! Good job... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Very nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif How does the Krylon hold up?

Leon, it holds up pretty well. the beauty of it is that it's so easy to touch up or even redo.

Shameless

You coming to Globe this year Shameless? Come a day early and shoot for a new Dtech AR. It'll already be camoed too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

YES Harold and I are already making plans to be there,plus another brother, so that Dtech is coming back home to Michigan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif See ya there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Shameless

Could you breifly explain how you strip the paint off an old camo job to redo it and what you use for a solvent? I just bought a camoed up 22-250, and after reading this post I think I may repaint it to a little darker pattern. Thanks.

Last edited:
Great post! Awesome paint job.

Every rifle and shotgun I own looks like this. I just bought a high end Bogen tripod and Bogen video head for filming. My wife about cried when I camo'd it after only 20 minutes out of the box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tony

I'm with Weasel on this, I haven't been able to camo paint anything but my shooting sticks. This is a simple effective method. I wonder if a good quality clearcoat would increase the durability. Thanks

A decent clearcoat will absolutely increase the durability of the paintjob.Krylon, as well as others offer several types of flat and satin clearcoats.Goes without saying,stay away from gloss clearcoats.Likewise, the lifetime of a paintjob can be greatly increased by first using a couple of flash primer coats on the object to be painted.The primer has characteristics that allow it to adhear better to slick surfaces.The beauty of a quick camo job though, is even without a primer coat, if the paint were to flake off in time, a little black, or brown showing through, won't hurt a thing, or it's super easy to touch up, or even repaint over.
KS, If you want to strip an old paint job, as opposed to just painting over it, lacquer thinner will remove all types of paint, without harm to the rifle.While it would also begin to remove the original topcoat finish of a wood stock if you go at it long enough, it wouldnt damage the metal,and really doesnt matter if you're planning a new paintjob anyways.Just do it out on the porch, and don't smoke,LT is very flamable.

Some of the best primer I have ever used is self etching primer used for automotive purposes. It adheres great to metal and provides a great surface for the Krylon. You can pick it up at about any auto parts store.

KS Dog Caller
basicly what Mickthetaxidermist said, I don't worry to much about getting it overly clean. A little scotch brite will take the rest off.
As for the clear coat. I find that even a flat clear coat will give more shine than none. So I don't use any. They are just so easy to touch up if needed. (rare)

Shameless

K V V Can you tell me what affect the self etching primer will have on anice bluing on a barrell and action? Just in case I do mine and then want to tqake it off later.
Thanks Daryl P.

Back