Truck gun rack? Hideaway

burris

I am looking for a hideaway gun rack for my truck, it needs to be able to hold two rifles securly (the kind that will mount to the roof of cab, or something similar). Do any of you have one of these? Do you like it? Is it easy to mount? I dont want the screws to go thru my roof when mounting, any problems with this happening? Oh, and where can I purchase one? Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

How much head room do you have? check before you get one.
I used a ATV style gunboot mounted under the rear seat of my Tahoe, it's worked very well.

Cabela's has'em. They are pretty solid if you have the head room. Most truck roofs have a couple layers of metal so the screws won't go thru.

I know of several policemen who have had wrecks with shotguns mounted like that in their patrol cars and they suffered more damage from the gun falling and impacting their head than from the anything else in wreck. IIRC, there was a Highway Patrol officer somewhere that was killed because of the shotgun mounted overhead. During impact I guess they break away from their mounting system and the weight & inertia gives them momentum enough to do serious damage. Just a thought for you to think on as you contemplate one of these systems. It may never be a consideration for you, however, just in case... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I mounted a good tool box in the bed of my pickup, it is dust and waterproof I then mounted a set of the old window racks in the tool box. I have room for three ling guns and a whole lot of other stuff(even a few tools) it is lockable and every thing is out of sight. When I am hunting I do not do so from my pickup so I really have no need of the long guns in cab. I usually have a handgun on my belt, so I am not exactly unarmed. BTW the local Sheriff saw my set up when i was getting my shotgun out at the skeet range, now all the SO pickups are set up the same way. He had mentioned the incidents of the LEO's being injured by falling shotguns. I partnered witrh him for many years before he went political, and I retired so we know each other real well.

I've got a Big Sky Rack 2 gun(seen here)overhead mounted in my Bronco. Rifles fit ok, some shotguns are too long.

Mounting is very easy. You should be able to remove your dome lamp assembly to check to see where you can mount it without going all the way through the roof. The self taping screws are short enough that they go through the lower portion of the double wall without going through the top.

I have a big sky rack in my 94 ford ext. cab. Mine is the style that mounts to the side of the roof. I also had the one that mounts straight up in my old chevy. Worked ok but some of the bigger magnums and shot guns would not fit the chevy. I havent found any thing that would not fit in the rack in the Ford. Holds them tight with no problems

I had a Big Sky Rack 2 gun mounted overhead in a 90 Chevy ExCab. I loved it. Its laying in my gun room since I hav not taken the time to mount it in my 03 Chevy. The molded headliner is not cooperating well with the mounting style.

I carried scoped rifles and a Mossberg shotgun in it all the time. It worked great.

Clayman

I have skybar in 2005 jeep bolted to the top side of rollbar.This one had came ot of my 2001 f150 prior to going into the jeep work well in both.Also have sky bar in 2004 F150 crew cab that also works well.

Back