first weekend of bowseason

cmiddleton

finally its here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
went out after deer friday with no luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
saterday my dad came up and we saw 9 elk but no shots
moseley went out to anouther spot deer hunting saterday and got a muley buck 26" inside he scored it himself and came up with 147" gross not a monster but its his first bow buck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
sunday we were in elk all morning but backed out on the evening its a small area and i didn't want to over call it.
monday we tried a different spot but i doesn't look like the elk are in there right now but i did take a shot at a coyote with my bow. if he would have stayed two seconds longer i'd have had him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
got home a found out a guy we shoot archery with got a huge monster bull within one half mile of where we were hunting.
the bull green scores 398"n.t S.C.I. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif steve took it to the S.C.I. scorer. he also gaveme a picture of it but i can't post it tell he puts his story in trophy hunter or eastmans. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
its a 7x7 with split eye gard on one side and a split second point on the other /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. awsome bull. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
if my dad would have came up on friday like i told him to he may have been the one with the bull. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
can't wait tell the weekend again

Sounds like your first weekend was a good start. I have had 2 weekends here in CO to hunt and it has been pretty slow. The elk are not calling yet and the even the cows I watched for about an hour on sunday only cow called 2 times. I have been close to 3 bulls over 300, but not close enough.

I will be up in WY on Friday to start looking for a big Mule Deer on Ferris Mountain. I know they have to be there, hopefully I can find a monster. The bull sounds impressive, can't wait to see it. I never really understood the whole wait until the mag. gets it. They will still publish the story and all. One guy here posted his pics on the net, then in local paper, then in a Colorado game mag, and eventually it wound up in Hunting Illustrated or something like that.

Good lUck this weekend, and hopefully I will show you pics of my first deer with a bow and hopefully it wil be a monster.

well the second week was a bust i called in one 6x6 bull but he was small. he came in quite we never heard a bugle all weekend.
went out yesterday after noon deer hunting but only saw 3x3's and a couple small 4x4 bucks. bowseason is half over and i haven't seen a buck i'd even nock a arrow for.
maybe next weekend the bulls will be calling and the bucks will be wondering.

Yeah we never heard a call one. We seen some real nice bulls. I got 3 feet from sticking a 27-28 inche buck on Ferris. He was real tall and had real deep forks. The elk here are not calling at all. Even though we saw 5 bulls we never had one bugle at all. 1 big bull had a good group of cows the other s were rag horns.

Oh well, I will be back at it again next weekend. You WY boys have it made being able to hunt bow then rifle. I like the idea that i can be real selective.

The Elk where I was hunting would squeel 1 time then shut up i only had 1 week to Bow hunt So when I called in a spike forked horn the last nite and about 300 yards from camp I took him, one arrow through the lower neck through the lungs and took out the 2nd to the last rib on the off side he went about 40 yards.I missed a light horned 6 point when my drop down rest didn't drop down !#@$%$%^&%^*(&#$^%.Good luck to the rest of you .OH yea thats number 10 with the bow.... 5. 5x5's 0ne 6.. 2 spikes and 1. 4 point. Guided my boy when he was 15 to a 380 6x7 .A bunch called in and blown cause of the !@#%$$#@%%^freakin wind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif....JC....

wow was it chilly today 3" of wet soggy snow and a 30 mph wind straight off the north pole.
no bugles and no elk i saw one doe and fawn deer i guess they are smarter than me and stay in bed in this bad of weather.
maybe tomarrow they will come out and play with me.
is it just me or is the rut starting slow this year every where.
maybe its a sign that we might get a real winter this year.
i don't remember snow in bow season on muddy the normal is the 15th of oct.

Me and a friend are going on Monday and wont be back till the next Monday. On our scouting trip we seen elk. I hope we can make short order of a couple bulls. Our season opened Sept 2 and has been real hot, till now. calling for snow for the next 2 days and cool all week long. The weather might make them bulls sing a little.

Hopefully I will have pics of 2 good bulls to show you boys in a week...

TWO MORE STEPS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif is all corey needed for a bull at twenty yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
the bull cought him drawing his bow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif bummer but fun anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
i had a clear shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif and when it left it stopped at 40 yards long enough i could have taken him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif man i wish i had the tag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
i would guess it to be about 320" 6x6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
i keep telling dad corey and moseley to sit with me the caller but they watch to many tv shows telling them to sit ahead of the caller. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif moseley actully argue's with me about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif but i have had the shot on both bulls that have came in and the hunters have not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
oh well its the calling i love /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and even though the elk are not bugleing where we hunt they still come scilent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
this bull chuckled one time and that was all the more sound he made. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Last edited:
Yeah I went out on Sat. morning and got real close to a bull just off the highway here. It was pretty fired up. i was at 47 yards. i just made the wrong choice in how to get 10 yards closer. It was a good 5X5. The next morning on sunday we hunted up a huge burn. We saw a decent bull with about 20 cows. We tried to call, but they just went the other way. We went to where they split from, only to call in a bull that never was heard. He caught me before I caught him. Bummer. Again there has been an extremem lack of calling here this year. I am hanging up on elk for the year. Oh well maybe next year. I am heading back to Wy to hunt Ferris for deer the next 2 weekends. Had only 5 1/2 days of archery elk this year. But got 3 good chance to take a bull, just did not close the deal.

If you have one shooter and caller then the shooter goes out front. But if you have 2 shooters one goes forward one stays with the caller. This does a few things. One, it lessens the competition aspect between the shooters. 2. the elk is coming to the call, it will go right to the call in the right situation, often times giving the caller the shot. I have had bulls run all the way around the shooter only to end up 10 yards from my wife the caller. Of course I never got a shot. Goodluck getting one of them to stay with ya.

the problem with setting the hunter away from me is the elk are staying scilent and the hunters can't move to position themself and i can't move to pull them past the hunter.
this weekend i'm setting the decoy behind us and having the hunter stay with me.
its tight cover and the bulls can come from 360 degrees

Yep no calling makes for hard elk hunting. Setting one up where they should come from would still work as long as you keep atleast one in close. Goodluck this weekend. When they are not tlaking like they are this year you just gotta keep trying.

Good Luck this weekend, let kill something so us guys hunting WY can show off some.

i hope this is the weekend seeing how its the last with a bow.
i wish steve would let me post a pic of his bull!
they have to bugle soon or they have learned to only call during the week days.have been out every weekend and the first weekend we had some talk but none sence just one chuckle.

finally sunday we got into the middle of a bugleing batch of elk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
i called in 11 bulls sunday to my dad and brother. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
it was the last day they could hunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
we were in the middle of them from daylight tell 1:30. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
lots of bulls coming in and we tried to pull the 7x7 herdbull in for a shot but he never got clear of the thick aspens to get a shot off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
had one 360ish bull up to twenty yards from me bro but the arrow fell off the rest and muffed it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
it was so fun i called tell my lips were numb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
after seeing the big bull i kept them talking and corey and dad stalked into the aspen jungle after them but its so thick you just can't put a arrow threw it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
after the elk moved back to privite land we went back to where we knew two bulls come out every afternoon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
we took some camo chairs and set up on the trail. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif we got there at 3pm and knew they moved threw at around 6 so we took a nap,ate candy bars,and drank a dew. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif at 5:45 i gave 4 soft cow calls, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifi had my back to the tree s corey and dad,when i saw them both come to full draw and thwack thwack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I turned around to see one bull staggering off with a arrow in him. after 40 yards it was down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gifi kept calling the whole time when corey drew again when he shot we all saw the arrow hit the ground 5' short. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
while letting the first bull expire we noticed the secound bull laying flat 20 yards from the low shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
the arrow had bounced up and drilled that elk center of the heart. after the shot the bull had ran 10 yrds uphill then turned downhill for 20. i can't belive none of us saw that bull drop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
the arrow looked as if it was shot from underneth the bull
from the sternum threw the heart to the top of the shoulder blade. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
i got some pic.s but haven't put them on the puter yet,i didn't get any feild pictures but some this morning after getting them to town and into coreys truck at the house i'll post them later. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
not the biggest bulls we saw that day but it was the last two hours of the last day they could hunt and both dad and coreys first archery kills. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
they did great no blood trailing both bulls fell insite of our folding chairs. who could ask for anything more! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
WOOOHOOOO.... Congrats to all of you. I had a hard time giving up my elk hunting to chase mule deer. I am glad you connected. THis past weekend was hot on Ferris. I took a few pics. Now show me the money shots.

huntmdown i sent you a pm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
wish i had my old computer i had hunting storys from 98 to 2004 on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
98 i took a 157 6/8 velevet muley and it was my sons first year hunting he took a 4x4 deer and a cow elk the story was more about his season than mine even though i got my first p&y buck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
99 i chased the buck i wanted in 98 only to strike out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
2000 i took that buck that netted 174 6/8 p&y and my son took a 300"6x6 and a 5x5 muley some good stories the 2000 story abreviated won me a tee shirt on monster muleys. the storys are a diery of the whole season so they are too long for a web site printed out some years are 10 pages long. monster muleys cut it down to one page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
02 i got a great buck but my son got a 340" bull i took one about like the ones this year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
04 i got a nice whitetail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
i have printed copys but have never put them on this computer and the old one had a major melt down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
i should have wrote one last year and this year some day it could be a book for my grandkids. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
but then they would know how bad my spelling and puntuation really is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Last edited:
I got the PM thanks!

Listen, I'm pretty computer savvy, did the old computer melt, melt like it doesn't boot up - melt. Cause I know how to restore operating systems. I would be happy to walk you through it. Or do you have a scanner? You could scan your hard copies and zip them to me. I'll type them up! Or mail to me and I'll scan them and edit them. You gotta have some memoirs for your grandkids. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Back