.223 vs .204 recoil?

steve223

This is just for my curiosity. If you had each one of these calibers in the same make of gun wearing the same scope setup. The only other thing different than the caliber, would be the ammunition. If it is possible to find some middle ground whereas the ammo is more or less equal. Which one would produce the most recoil? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have rifles in both calibers at the same weight, and I can't tell the difference.

The bullet in the 204 is lighter, but goes a lot faster. Energy is about the same, and according to the formula that is in Zebs post the 204 is 4.3 pound feet, and the 223 is 4 pound feet in a 10 pound rifle, so the 204 has about 9% more recoil.

Neither has enough recoil to be concerned with.

other than just a matter of idle curiousity....my first thought would be
They are both very very minimal in the recoil....kinda like asking which weighs more a chicken feather or a duck feather.

Let an ant shoot both and decide!

I would say the .223 would be "felt" more but only by a wisker!

Just shoot the hell out of them and enjoy!

I sure enjoy my new .223 in a CZ527 American!

Three 44s

Steve,I have both and in the exact same gun.The 223 has more recoil but not much.They are so close in felt recoil ist hard to say but Im feeling more in the 223. Its a different recoil though. Not that the 223 is a harsh recoil but the 204 is just different almost like a more of a steady push than what we would call kick. Both are actually mild though. I lovem both.The 204 is my baby but if I coukld only have one it would be the 223.
Daryl P.

Just a guess but if you shoot 40 grain bullets in each it would be very close to the same.

Shoot 32 grain bullets in the .204 and 62 grainers in the .223 and the .223 would recoil more.

Quote:
I did not realize there was recoil associated with either round.

Go shoot 500 rounds in one day from either and you will see that they do have recoil, not bad, but definitely noticeable after 500 rounds.

Jack

Catch a football 500 times and you feel it too. L3 does some optic testing with fully autos and they put more than that down a barrel in a day an the recoil adds up signifiantly. Steve 223, are you going to put that many rounds down the barrel in a day?..............no

i have both in identical setups. with the 204, anything past 100 yds i can recover quick enough to see bullet impact with a 32 grainer. i can not do this with any bullet from 223. the gun is an encore set up for varmint with heavy 26in barrels and extra weight added.the 204 recoil is more of a vibe than a kick. very pleasant and VERY accurate caliber. i like it alot, but.... you better place your shots on a yote sized critter. no sloppiness allowed, not on big eastern"coyotes" like we got here! i think it should be mentioned that i've never fired anything lighter than 50 grains out of the 223. with both shooting 40 gr bullets i magine they would be abt equal with slightly more recoil going to the 204 because of higher drag on the longer bullet. but both would be negligable.

Last edited:
iv'e shot a mini 14 and own a kimber 84m in 204
i think the mini 14 had more kick and it's an semi-auto..
this is of course my own perception.

Quote:
I have rifles in both calibers at the same weight, and I can't tell the difference.

The bullet in the 204 is lighter, but goes a lot faster. Energy is about the same, and according to the formula that is in Zebs post the 204 is 4.3 pound feet, and the 223 is 4 pound feet in a 10 pound rifle, so the 204 has about 9% more recoil.

Neither has enough recoil to be concerned with.

I just ran my data through this little Recoil Calculator.

I used 8 pounds for the weight of both rifles

The data is used for the .223 was 50 gr bullet at 3400 fps 26.5 gr of powder.

The .204 a 32 gr. bullet at 4047 fps with 28 gr of powder.

The Calculator says they are dead even.

Recoil Calculator

Last edited:
Quote:

I just ran my data through this little Recoil Calculator.

I used 8 pounds for the weight of both rifles

The data is used for the .223 was 50 gr bullet at 3400 fps 26.5 gr of powder.

The .204 a 32 gr. bullet at 4047 fps with 28 gr of powder.

The Calculator says they are dead even.

Recoil Calculator

In the 204, I used a 40 gr at 3900 fps, cuz that's what I'm shooting.

Back