Another Riddle

The rooster crossed the road to the market to get 2 dozen eggs to keep the hens from cackling. It took him a day to find a place to put the change and to carry the eggs back.

Quote:
To make it easier to see, double everything in the equation to eliminate the "halves".

3 chickens
3 eggs
3 days

That means 1 chicken is laying 1 egg per day.

15 eggs will take 10 chickens 1.5 days. 15/10=1.5

nmleon-

I think you have this wrong, but I don't know for sure anymore. When you double chickens and eggs to get 3 chickens and 3 eggs, the time doesn't change. 3 chickens lay 3 eggs in a day and 1/2 not in 3 days. 3 chickens lay 6 eggs in 3 days.

Two days....they lay 10 eggs the 1st day and while they lay 10 more the 2nd day the fact they have 5 extra eggs is irrevalent to the question.

Hmmm....I think I'm with the 2-1/4 days answer. Here's why:

1.5 chickens = 1.5 eggs in 1.5 days. Multiplying the number of chickens laying will multiply the number of eggs laid by the same factor, therefore:

15 chickens = 15 eggs in 1.5 days. Thusly, 10 chickens = 10 eggs in 1.5 days. So the chickens will need another half of 1.5 to accomplish the other five eggs, so....

10 chickens = 15 eggs in 2.25 days.

BTW, they don't lay 10 eggs the first day, they lay 10 eggs the first day and 1/2.

2-1/4 days is what I have always come up with. It was interesting at work with the amount of different answers I received. I asked several engineers some said 1-1/2 days some said 2-1/4 days. I googled it and found several web sites but couldn't come up with the answer. We'll see

The answer is 2.25 days. It takes 1-1/2 chickens to lay 1-1/2 eggs. That is 1 egg per chicken. However it takes that 1 chicken 1-1/2 days to lay 1 egg. Therefor the chickens lay 2/3 of an egg every day. In order for 10 chickens to lay 15 eggs at that rate it takes 2.25 days.

I was given this riddle back in 1980 by my great uncle. I was in engineering school at the time and heavily involved in math. I solved it correctly and have never forgotten the answer.

I'll post the other riddle he had me solve as well.

A day is a day, there can't be 2.25 days? What if they were in Alaska, and there was only 6 hours of sunlight?

The answer is still 3 days ya'll.

Ok to eliminate the fractional days lets reword the riddle

If a chicken and a half can lay
an egg and a half in a
day and a half. How many eggs will 6 chickens lay in 7 days?

Quote:
Ok to eliminate the fractional days lets reword the riddle

If a chicken and a half can lay
an egg and a half in a
day and a half. How many eggs will 6 chickens lay in 7 days?

1.5 Chickens x 1.5 days = 1.5 eggs!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

then...

10 Chickens will lay 15 eggs in 2.25 days or 54 hrs!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Roooooooooster

Last edited:
Back