Need new boots

jbordy

I owned a pair of Rocky's for about 15 years and they truely were my favorite hunting buddy. They literally fell apart and now I am in the market for another hunting boot. I found out that the new Rocky's and some other "good" brand names are now made out side of the USA and the quality is not there. I would like another pair of leather/cordoura that have GoreTex and can be made water proof. Rubber boots are not out of the question since I think they are finally warm and have support for climbing mountains and walking all day. My brother owns LaCross rubber and says he likes them. Any suggestions out there????

Arcorey
I have never heard of Georgia boots. Are they rubber or leather? How about insulation? I know it can get cold in Virginia but not as bruttle as here in upper PA?

I am very happy with Danners too. Some low end styles are made elsewhere but the higher end are made in Portland Oregon. Same company as LaCrosse in Wisconson. One thing about Danner is different models are built on different lasts, which is a form, since not everyones feet are the same. So once you find a style that fits well then it is possible to find all styles built on that last. I just ordered a pair, looked up the 650 last and they are comfortable right out of the box.

jbordy,

Recently, I was also looking for some new boots. I did a lot of checking, and ended up getting a pair of the Cabela's Pinnacle Series boots. Here is the photo of them:

boots.jpg

The thing that I like about these boots is that they have features of both a rubber and leather boot. I have worn regular rubber boots for years, and was GLAD to get out of them. They were uncomfortable, and had no traction at all. These boots have great traction, a great comfortable fit (for me at least), and are very easy to take on and off (also a BIG plus). They have already been put through the paces pretty hard, and have done an outstanding job. You may want to look into these boots, as I don't think you will be disappointed. When I used them in Texas, they were a little on the warm side, but were perfect when used up in Canada. I also would not recommend these boots if you are going to be doing a lot of climbing in the rocks. For most of the hunting here in PA, these should do great (have so far).

Mike Dillon

FOXPRO, Inc.
"The Caller of the Wild"

The True Leader.
Often imitated, never equaled!

Another vote for Danners----love em!!!!! I like the Pronghorns.....you'll walk miles and still swear that you are wearing sneakers!

I used to swear by Rockys. Now I swear at them. Last two pairs I had leaked within a year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

I bought a pair of Irish Setters last fall and really like them so far.

As far as rubber boots, Definately Muck Boots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hey Mike
I am heading to Cabela's some time soon and will look at their boots. I spend a week in Rangeley Maine and crawling over rocks is the norm. My older Rocky's took them in stride but I know the newer ones would not hold up.
I had a pair of Muck boots in my hands a couple of weeks ago but still can't convince myself to get the rubber boots. Thanks for all the responses.

jbordy, the Georgia boots I have are the 1000 gram camo leather version. It has been discontinued and replaced with the 1200 gram model with removable ice spikes. I've worn them hunting in subzero ice and snow, they seemed to be fine, whenever I sit for an extended time I always wear my artic shield boot blankets to retain the lost heat.

jbordy,

If you are going to be going over rocks alot, then I would not recommend the Pinnacle Series boots. I would take a hard look at the Danner boots also. Just be sure when trying on those Danners to remember that they take a little longer to break in, and may feel awkward at first.

Mike Dillon

FOXPRO, Inc.
"The Caller of the Wild"

The True Leader.
Often imitated, never equaled!

Mike,

Nice boots for sure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif but still the best all around boot ever made is the GI issue black combat boot, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif they have been always disputed, but never equaled.

Good Hunting!
Vaportrail

Are the combat boots gore-tex? I used to buy a pair of Rocky's every two years. The guy at Cabellas talked me into trying a pair of Cabellas Outfitter Boots. Both Rocky and Cabellas are made in China, the Cabellas are better boots, I wore Rockys for more than 20 years.T20

One thing about military issue - one size fits all. Size 10, just like everyone else... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'd still go with Danner boots.

I used to call my last pair of Rocky boots my tracking boots. That's because they left pieces of the sole everywhere that I went. This happened until the soles were completely gone and the boot were unwearable. Since then, I've avoided Rocky boots like the plague. There are better boots out there. I've had good luck with Red Wing, Wolverine and Irish Setter. The Danner boots look good too. MI VHNTR

Back